PING G Crossover - THP Review Thread

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
PING has created a new club category, or so they say, with the new G Crossover. It’s not exactly a hybrid, while not being an iron. How does it work? Well we are about to find out as one has arrived here at THP for review. The model received is a 3-Crossover which comes in at 18 degrees. PING says that it should be equivalent to my 7 wood, which just so happens I have a club in that range that I can test head to head with. Looking forward to throwing some swings on it and seeing what it’s all about. Below is some information from PING as well as some in hand photos.

From PING
This breakthrough design creates a new club category to combine the precision, workability and control of an iron with the speed and forgiveness of a hybrid. It's not a driving iron; the Crossover is far more forgiving, higher launching and more versatile.

A cascading internal sole involves the entire face, sole and top rail in flexing to maximize distance. Extreme heel-toe weighting helps locate the center of gravity low-back and expands the perimeter weighting to create a high MOI across both axes for maximizing forgiveness.

Its iron-like precision and workability comes from the flat, Carpenter 455 machined face, a narrow top rail, lie adjustability and appropriate offset.

Cascading Internal Sole: This innovative structure distributes stress evenly so the entire face, sole, and top rail are engaged in flexing at impact to maximize ball speed and distance.

images

Extreme Heel-Toe Weighting: Low mass ensures hybrid-like forgiveness for distance and accuracy by positioning the CG low-back and expanding the perimeter weighting to achieve a high MOI.

images

Iron-Style Carpenter 455 Face: More than twice as strong as cast 17-4 stainless, Carpenter 455 steel is precision machined thinner for greater face flexing, faster ball speeds and longer results. The flat face, narrow top rail and appropriate offset deliver iron-like confidence in accuracy, workability and distance control. Loft and lie angle are adjustable for added versatility.

images

i-r9hjdVQ-M.jpg

In Hand Photos:

i-qZp79Qw-L.jpg

i-Cg4NCZF-L.jpg

i-BxFc4dK-L.jpg

i-WMr38mh-L.jpg

i-QK89D7F-L.jpg

i-cPMWg25-L.jpg

i-gQ2rVTh-L.jpg

i-mBSw3zL-L.jpg

i-M9tpXmW-L.jpg

i-wRZpCd3-L.jpg

i-2wdm3m2-L.jpg

i-56F3RMz-L.jpg

i-zzz4pJC-L.jpg

I'll be very interested in hearing your thoughts on this one. The couple times I've tried it out, it's been a strange one for me. I like the profile, but I think I needed a bit more launch, spin, or both to get the distance I need based on the number at the bottom.

• Staff
I'll be very interested in hearing your thoughts on this one. The couple times I've tried it out, it's been a strange one for me. I like the profile, but I think I needed a bit more launch, spin, or both to get the distance I need based on the number at the bottom.

admittedly I did not hit it last night, even though I wanted to. Wasn't thrilled with how pictures came out so I'm going to re-shoot before I take some swings and mark it all up. Besides, with how I'm swinging right now nobody would want pics with the hosel all scuffed up.

This is a club that interests me. I like a utility iron for shorter par 4s...I just struggle sometimes off the deck with the utility so if this is easier and gives me the distance it could replace current items in the bag.

admittedly I did not hit it last night, even though I wanted to. Wasn't thrilled with how pictures came out so I'm going to re-shoot before I take some swings and mark it all up. Besides, with how I'm swinging right now nobody would want pics with the hosel all scuffed up.

Oh, if that continues we should make sure none of the spectators for RR are on the right side of the course, since I'm wore out that spot on my irons last time out on the range.

Very interested here Dean, can't wait to hear more, with the Apex UT in the bag now, I see this as an addition in the 3 slot as a possibility.

I'm interested in seeing your thoughts on a club I may buy in 2-3 years.

• Staff
some extra pics I took last night. This club will be getting a full range session on Saturday to see what it can do.

i-jt83J3f-L.jpg

i-gWfzxDp-L.jpg

i-qPw9tCB-L.jpg

i-zX377xq-L.jpg

i-NdMKx3c-L.jpg

Good shots. I like the look of it, and even though I didnt love the club, I understand the idea of creating a new segment for them.

I really do love the looks of this thing. Need some more swings with it. I do think it pairs better with the i series irons than the G though, as those long irons are already stupid easy to hit.

Nice pics Dean, not a bad looking iron thingy, not sure I can hit anything with a "3" stamped on it, but would like to try

Good shots. I like the look of it, and even though I didnt love the club, I understand the idea of creating a new segment for them.

I'm still somewhat confused by the whole new segment thing. It's an interesting looking club, you see a ton of the sole at setup. Being the 3, it will be interesting to see it go head to head with my heavenwood.

I still think it's them trying to offer something in this category so that they have something to offer. I got to hit it last weekend at golf galaxy, but I'll save my thoughts until you get yours going Dean.

I'm still somewhat confused by the whole new segment thing. It's an interesting looking club, you see a ton of the sole at setup. Being the 3, it will be interesting to see it go head to head with my heavenwood.

Now take this for what its worth, because its strictly my opinion only. Its about good marketing. Ping has done well with drivers over the last 18 months, but the hybrids did not take off the same way. So by "creating" a new category, they create a buzz amongst their core golfers to try them out. In the end, getting them in the hand is the first goal. They are marketing it as the flat face of an iron, but the hollow construction of a hybrid.

The flipside is that its not really a new category and other companies have been putting this out for quite some time.

Now take this for what its worth, because its strictly my opinion only. Its about good marketing. Ping has done well with drivers over the last 18 months, but the hybrids did not take off the same way. So by "creating" a new category, they create a buzz amongst their core golfers to try them out. In the end, getting them in the hand is the first goal. They are marketing it as the flat face of an iron, but the hollow construction of a hybrid.

The flipside is that its not really a new category and other companies have been putting this out for quite some time.

it's funny you say that, because that is what has been on my mind the entire time. New category = new way to talk about and present a product.

The funny thing about that is that to me it seemed like it's basically the G15/G20 hybrid, reimagined. Though I don't remember if those had a flat face or there was roll and bulge.

And I'd put myself in that "core" category. PING stuff usually works pretty well for me in the iron space.

I can't decide if I'm excited about this or not. I am definitely interested in seeing what Deano has to say about it and I'll grab some swings with it when I have the chance, maybe it'll surprise me. But I just can't really see myself going with something like this over a hybrid. We'll see though!

it's funny you say that, because that is what has been on my mind the entire time. New category = new way to talk about and present a product.

And it is kind of a new category for them.
I dont think they have a flat faced hybrid in their line. They do in a driving iron, but I am not sure (going off memory) that that was hollow body.
Cleveland Golf was so ahead of the curve with those lines it is kind of funny.

Two range sessions in the book with yesterday being the one that progress was really made.

The model I have is the 3 witch is 18°. Supposedly a club that will replace my 7 wood, which for me is the GBB Heavenwood. Comparing the two, it likely won't be replacing that club. Things that really stood out to me with this club are the following:

Spin - seemed very low to me, just above driver spin for me. Except I was unable to get the ball up in the air high enough with enough ball speed to take any kind of advantage of it.

Distance - 7 wood was longer, without question. Now it was cold out yesterday, sub 45 so perhaps warmer temps I can get more out of it in the near future.

Flight - lower flight, as mentioned in the spin part, I had issues getting this to fly high enough to get any strong type of yardage from it. Perhaps a stronger swinger than I would be able to take more advantage of this design.

Sound - Sounded more like an iron to me than a hybrid. Felt more like an iron at contact as well. Funny how they are related.

Tomorrow is sim league so I will be interested to see what kind of flight and numbers I see in there. Will get there early to try and compare side by side with 7 would and should be able to see ball flight differences. Overall for me, at this point, this club is kind of a swing and miss for my game. I can tell it has it's merits and will work well for some, perhaps stronger swingers than I.

Ugh. Definitely sounds like a true niche club offering from them which is what I assumed. Seems to really be an offering for the sake of having an offering in that "realm".

Ugh. Definitely sounds like a true niche club offering from them which is what I assumed. Seems to really be an offering for the sake of having an offering in that "realm".

the 5 might be better suited for my bag. That vs say the D9 would be fun. Still early on though, things could get better.

the 5 might be better suited for my bag. That vs say the D9 would be fun. Still early on though, things could get better.

Yeah, I look forward to how it progresses for you.

I know some LOVE these types of clubs (look at the devout following the Apex Utility has here) so it definitely has a place and makes sense for PING to want to have an offering for PING fans/players, but they are just a club type that are not kind to me.

Surprised to hear about the difficulties with the 3 crossover. I've played the 4 crossover for a couple of rounds and have had a great experience with it. I'm getting good distance and a nice high ball flight. I wonder if its the shaft flex or 18 degree loft on the 3 that is causing the issues. I'm playing it in a regular flex Alta 55. I like it so much I'm considering the 3 Crossover. I guess I better hit the 3 before I buy it.

Going to demo this one tomorrow. Definitely some mixed reviews in here. I prefer this type of "hybrid" rather than the more fairway wood shaped ones. Going to test out the Apex hybrid as well. We'll see which one prevails. Was really hoping this one was just going to be an updated and better looking G20 type of hybrid, but sounds like its not teh same type of club at all.

this gets another showing tonight. Hoping I see a little more out of it than I did on Sunday. I'm going to add that while it might not be the club for my bag, it doesn't mean it's a bad club. Just one that after some range time, has shown it probably wouldn't win a spot in my bag. Still testing to go on though and that continues tonight.

Back