How would you play this hole?

The_Dude

#TeamNE #Team Green #Hype
Reaction score
Handicap
#bigbutts
Montaup CC was playing about 345 on Sunday. We played hole twice, 2nd time around I hit 2 different clubs. Anything off the tee over 220 can put you in deep valley in front of the green which will leave you a tricky 2nd shot only seeing top of flag. Very little room long as you can see. I smother hooked 3i 1st time, made bogey. Smoked 3i 2nd time leaving me 145. Flew the green with 8i onto next tee box. Made bogey. Hit driver last time into the valley. That left me 84 yards. Hit 56* to 20'. 2 putt par. Hole is dead center of pic with tee box right behind green.
1146d3074fb16d4181dd458e98a719d2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Driver into the valley then wedge it on.

For me, that is Driver 7 iron, I don't hit that far. Driver would put me 145 out, unless I got it good, but even then I don't think I am in the valley, then it would be an 8 Iron for me.

Dude plays a 3 iron! :beauty:

I'm hitting driver.

I would add that I would do this in April or May when it is reasonable to be on a golf course in the northeast... :glasses-cool:

Good point. I am currently having a tough time dealing with highs around 50 in the south...lol. Give me mid 90's with a lot of humidity every day of the week and I am perfectly happy.

Driver off tee leaves me 100-110 yards out so nice easy PW from there.

Thriver Wedge One putt burdie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver then wedge for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dude plays a 3 iron! :beauty:

I'm hitting driver.
I wouldn't say I play a 3i, I just try to make solid contact.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I probably try to lay back a little here because I'd hate to pipe a drive down the middle only to be too close to carry that big tree overhanging the right side of the fairway with my shot in. My stock shot in is typically a draw so it could block me. Looks like that tree might be down in the valley so I'd be trying to carry it hitting off a steep downhill lie too if I went for it. I don't have the horsepower to get past the tree so I'd probably play my Gapr MID off the tree trying to leave myself 120-145 in from a level lie in the fairway. Could be anything from PW to 8 iron but would be careful to not over club.

6i, wedge. My driver is attracted to trees.

I'd probably try to hit a 200 yard club.

4i then 9i or wedge for me depending on my lie and wind.

Hit driver - hopefully have 125 yds to go with my 7 iron onto elevated green

Driver and hope it finds the fairway and valley and wedge it in from there.

6i/pw would be the smart play for me
Driver likely puts me on the road and it's a blowup hole
I need to start playing smarter...

6i/pw would be the smart play for me
Driver likely puts me on the road and it's a blowup hole
I need to start playing smarter...
Whoa Nerdy, that'd be a 70 yard push!!!!
Solid play with mid iron and wedge.

One question - if you are in the valley, can you see anything to give you the line on the green/pin?

If yes, then I am happy to hit driver, walk down the middle of the fairway picking my line and play my second from the valley - assuming you can hit the ball straight on your target line, you will only be punished missing left or right in the bunkers

If you are completely blind with no reference point to use, then I would try to lay up short of the valley so that I can see the pin and play a mid/short iron or wedge depending on the wind and elevation change

One question - if you are in the valley, can you see anything to give you the line on the green/pin?

If yes, then I am happy to hit driver, walk down the middle of the fairway picking my line and play my second from the valley - assuming you can hit the ball straight on your target line, you will only be punished missing left or right in the bunkers

If you are completely blind with no reference point to use, then I would try to lay up short of the valley so that I can see the pin and play a mid/short iron or wedge depending on the wind and elevation change
From the valley you can't see putting surface, just top 3rd of flag. If you were smart (I'm not), you would eyeball what quadrant flag is in just before you get to valley.

From the valley you can't see putting surface, just top 3rd of flag. If you were smart (I'm not), you would eyeball what quadrant flag is in just before you get to valley.

Exactly my thoughts and something I do with a couple of holes on my home course - the 16th tee shot is a blind shot over a crest and depending on where the flag is on the green determines which side of the fairway is the ideal side for your approach, so when walking up the 15th I always look at the 16th green to see where the flag is

At least being able to see the flag from the valley means you have a line to aim at, it is just down to distance after that

Back