Phil Mickelson's Fitting Secrets - The Fitting Room from Callaway

tahoebum

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Very interesting podcast asking Phil how he fits his clubs. I especially like his ideas about blind testing, which I have never heard anyone doing the way he does. I also agree with him that a launch monitor is not a primary way of selecting a club or shaft. He uses his eyes and feel first and Trackman just for validation. For me that is certainly true.

He also advocates adjusting lie individually for each club, not having all your irons 1 degree flat, for example, but some 1 degree flat, one 1.5 degrees flat, etc. My 8 iron and GW tend to miss a little right even though I've had their lies checked. After listening to this podcast, I'm going to adjust those 2 clubs a little more upright than the rest of my set.

https://soundcloud.com/callawaygolf/phil-mickelsons-fitting-secrets-the-fitting-room

Last edited:
Wow, really interesting stuff, good find!! I am going to be doing an iron fitting next week and the guy I am going to does some of the "blind" testing as well as building each club individually. Pretty cool to hear Phil confirm that this is a good thing to do.

Phil Mickelson's Fitting Secrets - The Fitting Room from Callaway

I usually do the blind testing only because I don't want my own bias to affect the swing.

I bought an old set of irons off the bay and was hooking the crap out of them, so I brought them into gs to test the lie angles. the manager dropped what he was doing and spent about 2 hours testing every iron with me on the lie board, then bending them, then re-checking. and he charged me $45. I was blown away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually do the blind testing only because I don't want my own bias to affect the swing.

I bought an old set of irons off the bay and was hooking the crap out of them, so I brought them into gs to test the lie angles. the manager dropped what he was doing and spent about 2 hours testing every iron with me on the lie board, then bending them, then re-checking. and he charged me $45. I was blown away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need to have this done because I definitely have a few irons that have right or left tendencies. The lies have been checked but obviously I may need different degrees of flatness in my iron set. I'd love to do the blind testing with iron shafts as I've really never gone through an extensive iron shaft fitting.

I need to have this done because I definitely have a few irons that have right or left tendencies. The lies have been checked but obviously I may need different degrees of flatness in my iron set. I'd love to do the blind testing with iron shafts as I've really never gone through an extensive iron shaft fitting.

Agree there as well. I have been testing out some Callaway irons and every time I pick up the Apex I can't help but be biased based on looks alone even if this isn't the right club for me. Blind testing takes a lot of emotion out of it.

What a great listen. Really enjoyed Phil's comments on how little stock he put in launch monitors. I would never have guessed that.

Great read. Thanks for sharing!

Every time I hear aj's voice all I can think of is Malort ha-ha

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Agree there as well. I have been testing out some Callaway irons and every time I pick up the Apex I can't help but be biased based on looks alone even if this isn't the right club for me. Blind testing takes a lot of emotion out of it.

That's not exactly what Phil is talking about when he says "blind testing" He's not watching the ball flight after he hits a shot. He feels that watching the ball flight will cause him to subconsciously correct his swing to get the desired ball flight. He just tells the fitter if he felt like it was a "good" or a "bad" hit. They discard all the bad hits, and then adjust as needed. It's a very interesting podcast and well worth the listen.

Back