12 hole option just announced by the county

When I book a round of golf I always make sure I have enough time to play 18 holes, maybe 9 holes in a pinch if it can't be avoided, but that is very rare. The three courses that I play most often have the 12th green probably the furthest distance from the clubhouse. I have no desire to dodge drives, approach shots etc while I try to scurry back to the clubhouse to justify someones idea of a "cool idea" to increase sales of rounds.

I don't see myself playing 12 holes. It just sounds weird. "I shot a 52 today... for 12 holes." Meh just doesn't sound right.

12 or 13 I like the idea!

Maybe at the 12th hole is a convenient place to get back to the club house for this course?

That sure is an interesting number of holes to have. I like that they're trying something non-standard though. Hope it works out for them.

I could see this as something that is good.

You can't put in an 18 hole score by only playing 13 holes but you can put in a 9 hole with playing 12. Think if it as playing for score for 9 and 3 holes of practice afterwards to work out some things you may have been struggling with in the 9. instead of going back to the range you can put yourself in real life situations to practice and call back in future rounds.

I assume this course(s) was struggling financially before making this decision? If so I give them credit for thinking outside the box and trying to regain some revenue.

There are some courses I've played where the walk from the 12th to the 19th is pretty far. Just seems... odd...

Got me thinking though, would if you could pay per hole... hmmmm

New course here does that. After 4pm you only pay for what you play.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I assume this course(s) was struggling financially before making this decision? If so I give them credit for thinking outside the box and trying to regain some revenue.

Both courses are owned by the county and do very well. The Liberty Lake course just had a 4 million dollar renovation done 3 years ago.

As far as the location of the 12th green, to get back to the clubhouse, you would have to cross 2 fairways on both courses.

For those wondering about being far away from the clubhouse, here are the layouts of the 2 courses:

hvgc_course_layout.jpg

LLGC_course_layout.jpg

For the first course, the 12th green isn't that far away from the clubhouse. The optimal 12 hole loop is actually to play the back nine, then holes 1-3 because the 3rd hole starts right near the clubhouse. For the second course, it's not as easy because the 3rd green and 12th green are both pretty far away from the clubhouse.

I applaud the decision from the golf courses. It's giving golfers more options in terms of the length of time they want to play, and more options is never a bad thing.

I think long term golf should be concerned about the time it takes to play a round of golf. With our attention spans getting shorter and shorter golf (and baseball) really have to look at how long the game takes. I know a lot of people struggle to get out on for 5-6 hours, so if you could shrink it down to 2 or 3 hours it might open up the game to more people.

6/12/18 holes makes sense if you think about it as you can break it up and people can spend as much time/money as they can fit in. The biggest issue is you would have to be thinking that through quite a bit going forward to design the course/clubhouse to make it conducive to stop at those intervals.

Makes sense from a course design, instead of having people hit the clubhouse at the turn for a snack/beverage you could have them stopping every 6 holes even if they are playing 18. Might eliminate need for a cart girl on the course and limit the amount of restrooms you need to lay out.

Interesting concept. I wonder how they came with the number 12 ? I tend to just play 9 if I'm pressed for time but maybe this is better!

When you play the front 9 or play the back 9, you get a pretty even spread of 3-5 par holes. 12 might throw this balance off.

I don't know what i'm trying to say heh :bulgy-eyes:

5-6 hour rounds would chase me away from the game and is why I do not play mid-morning on. My foursome plays early 3-4 times per week in 3.5 hours, walking. This is on five different city courses.

If I were to build a course today I would have 9, 12, 15 and 18 end near the clubhouse so each type of round would be possible.

The hard part is that whether one plays 12 or 18 the fixed costs are the same so the difference in price between each tier can't be significant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It could work.Pretty sure most courses I know would have to reroute a few holes differently.A few courses would be a complete mess.

Now if only it was 13 so you can count it for 18 on your handicap

I sense the unseen hand of the Illuminati in this format change.

Makes sense from a course design, instead of having people hit the clubhouse at the turn for a snack/beverage you could have them stopping every 6 holes even if they are playing 18. Might eliminate need for a cart girl on the course and limit the amount of restrooms you need to lay out.

Now you're going to get the cart girls local union on you for elminating jobs.

Thinking of my local course this wouldn't work. Hole 12 is across the road and almost the farthest point on the course from the club house.

Maybe a new course or a course that is under going a complete redesign this could work.

For those wondering about being far away from the clubhouse, here are the layouts of the 2 courses:

hvgc_course_layout.jpg

LLGC_course_layout.jpg

For the first course, the 12th green isn't that far away from the clubhouse. The optimal 12 hole loop is actually to play the back nine, then holes 1-3 because the 3rd hole starts right near the clubhouse. For the second course, it's not as easy because the 3rd green and 12th green are both pretty far away from the clubhouse.

I applaud the decision from the golf courses. It's giving golfers more options in terms of the length of time they want to play, and more options is never a bad thing.

Could not agree more.

Home course is only 9 holes, so would work great for us because 12 is right next to the club house. The 18 hole course we play quite a bit, 12 is quite a distance away.

I'd rather just play 9. 12 seems like an odd choice.

My home course could do it, but it would be easier for them to do 13 since the 13th green is right near the 18th green. Easy walk over.

I'd play 12 IFF the cost was substantially less than 18, but when I play non-league I usually play twilight rates after 2:00 pm. The other three holes would simply be practice holes.

However if I only had time for 12, I'd probably just play 9. Most courses I play the walk from 12 to the parking lot is just too far. I really wish more courses offered a 9 hole rate even for twilight. I'd love to hit a range bucket then hit the course for 9 holes of practice.

Not a bad idea...sometimes after 9 holes, I just feel like it wasn't quite enough, and maybe 3 more would do the trick.

For those quick after work rounds if daylight permits it I'd do the 12. $2/Hole is reasonable.

Back