Wedge help needed?

smschulz

Reaction score
Handicap
I was out practicing wedges yesterday and discovered a problem.
I have three wedges (not counting the PW).
60-05
56-10
52-07

The problem is that I cannot consistently hit the 60 degree when I try to use the bounce.
When I close the face and take the bounce out of it ~ no problems hitting.
With the other clubs I can use the bounce or not with no problems.

Is it the loft that I cant get used to or just not enough bounce?

I use the 56 degree most of the time now on greenside chips.

What exactly is your miss that you're not hitting the 60* right? 5* of bounce is pretty darn low.

Misses are mostly fat inconsistent contact.

I'd actually say you might need a wedge with more bounce then. The bounce is what helps against that, so if you have a wedge as low as 5, there isn't much there to help avoid a fat chip. When you close the face you might just come in at a different angle which is why you might not see it as much of an issue when you set up that way.

If the miss is fat, in my opinion that 5* of bounce is definitely not the issue (meaning thinking its too much)
Many times people are quick to say go low bounce in areas that offer harder surfaces. The issue I have is that most amateurs are not making ball first contact and because of that, the leading edge with less bounce can possibly dig and lead to fat misses. Which in turn leads to body compensation and then thin misses start.

What is needed is bounce that is created better, and we have that now with multiple companies and their grind offerings.

If the miss is fat, in my opinion that 5* of bounce is definitely not the issue (meaning thinking its too much)

Actually I was thinking it is not enough bounce.
I am ready for new set of wedges anyway and will get some more on my lob wedge.
Good advice.

Any recommendations on Grind ~ such as in the new Vokeys?

Actually I was thinking it is not enough bounce.
I am ready for new set of wedges anyway and will get some more on my lob wedge.
Good advice.

Any recommendations on Grind ~ such as in the new Vokeys?

the standard S grind is really good (would look at the 60/10 S grind), but if you want some more sole on it, you can look towards the K grind.

You may want to consider how this particular wedge loft (60*), will fit in with your other wedges in terms of types of shots played, turf conditions in your area. For instance, will you use your 60* mostly from greenside rough while the 56 will be your club from the sand?

Dave Pelz's book Short Game Bible has a useful chart on different permutations of loft, bounce, and grind vs. types of grass/sand (ie hardpan, soft, etc). The point is your wedges should compliment each other, and as JB says there are tons of options from the different OEMs these days to dial that in.

Maybe you should try moving the back in tour stance so you strike be ball first. And instead of trying to use the bounce just swing thru the shot.

Back