Cut them down or choke up?

jjfcpa

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm 5' 6" and according to the Ping fitting chart, I should cut my clubs down 1/2 inch. Is there any logic to buying standard length clubs and just choking up. Probably order them 2 degrees flat as well based on my last fitting.

If you were fit 2* flat at standard length and then cut them down 1/2" it will be basically closer to 3* flat.

Well, if you choke down they may play stiffer than you want, and I'm not sure if the lie angles work the same if you're choking down. But it's funny you bring this up as I was halfway through this vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5hC5Ec_KvQ

Choking down puts you on the thinner part of the grip. If your sensitive to grip size then I’d shorten.

Also 5'6" guy here and I decided to cut my new set down. I got them completely custom to my fitting and decided that this was it for me. No new iron purchases for a long time. If you're planning on a resell at some point, my advice is to just grip down. I looked into it and it looks like gripping down produces the same swingweight/lie angle adjustments as cutting the shaft. Biggest difference is the resale value, should you decide to try something new in the future.

I am also 5’6 and I have experimented with chocking 1/2. As for my experience I see little difference is distance nor direction. But I do see lower ball flights. Maybe chocking down makes me swing differently but low ball flight is one if the biggest difference I see. 1/4 less distance maybe?
If you are buying club new , I would just order 1/2 short. Have a peace of mind that it’s what you need not what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you were fit 2* flat at standard length and then cut them down 1/2" it will be basically closer to 3* flat.

Actually, I got the clubs tweaked by a fitter after purchase. They were ordered cut down 1/2 inch and he adjusted the lie angle on each iron by 1 degree and suggested choking up 1/2 inch instead of having each one cut down another 1/2 inch essentially making them 2 degrees flat.

Well, if you choke down they may play stiffer than you want, and I'm not sure if the lie angles work the same if you're choking down. But it's funny you bring this up as I was halfway through this vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5hC5Ec_KvQ

Thanks for the video link. Very interesting and I didn't see any significant difference when choking up on irons. I never choke up on my driver.

Actually, I got the clubs tweaked by a fitter after purchase. They were ordered cut down 1/2 inch and he adjusted the lie angle on each iron by 1 degree and suggested choking up 1/2 inch instead of having each one cut down another 1/2 inch essentially making them 2 degrees flat.

That is exactly what I am saying. 1/2" short is essentially making it go 1* flat. My point was if you were 2* flat at standard and then also went 1/2" short then you would be more like 3* flat

That is exactly what I am saying. 1/2" short is essentially making it go 1* flat. My point was if you were 2* flat at standard and then also went 1/2" short then you would be more like 3* flat

It's kind of funny, I've been fitted with clubs at standard length less 1/2 inch and the lie board showed that I didn't need any further lie adjustment. However, it always felt better when hitting those clubs if I gripped down 1/2 inch. Did not seem to affect performance as much as it allowed me to get a better feel out of the club and hit the sweet spot.

You ordered and received a set .5" shorter than Ping's standard length, and now you are considering reducing the shaft length by an additional .5" ?

It's kind of funny, I've been fitted with clubs at standard length less 1/2 inch and the lie board showed that I didn't need any further lie adjustment. However, it always felt better when hitting those clubs if I gripped down 1/2 inch. Did not seem to affect performance as much as it allowed me to get a better feel out of the club and hit the sweet spot.
Is it possible you like the counterweight aspect of choking down?

Paging @ohiogolfer

Custom extensions by Danny himself!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m 5’7” and play my driver at 44.75. I have tried it at standard at it just doesn’t feel comfortable for me. I have choked down but didn’t like how it felt. Cut it down to 45” and liked it a lot. Went down to 44.75” and love it. Mind you I have tried with adding weight to the head and without and I much prefer to have the swingweight back up. Woods are cut down .50” but my irons and wedges are standard length however my irons are 1° upright and wedges are 2° flat at the moment. Iron lie angle might be changing.

I have read where people have a tendency to swing a little more cautious when choking down on a club. Normally the mindset is that you choke down to take distance off and I suppose that could creep into your mind unintentionally when you are attempting to hit a full shot. I know the general consensus is that choking down 1" has the same impact on swing weight, lie angle, etc. as cutting a club down 1" but, from trial and error experience, I don't feel it does. I can feel a 3 swingweight drop when a cut a half inch off a 45" driver but cannot feel that when I choke down 1/2" on the same 45" driver.

I am 5'5" and used to just choke down on my standard clubs. The one thing that always plauged me was where do my hands go - higher or lower. Zero consistency. I finally got fit for my irons and have never been happier. Havent bought any new irons since and it used to be an every year thing. My opinion, fitting and custom clubs are a big deal.

Back