Callaway Great Big Bertha Fairway Wood Preview Thead

Put the new GBB Divine 9 with the Rogue 70 in play today and it is awesome, hit it off the deck to a 215 yd pin and stopped dead pin high about 15 ft left. Had a shot on 18 out of the fairway bunker 170 into the wind and hit it to 10 ft. pin high right. Great feeling club and super easy to hit, might be just what I have been looking for between the 4 iron and 3 wood.

Put the new GBB Divine 9 with the Rogue 70 in play today and it is awesome, hit it off the deck to a 215 yd pin and stopped dead pin high about 15 ft left. Had a shot on 18 out of the fairway bunker 170 into the wind and hit it to 10 ft. pin high right. Great feeling club and super easy to hit, might be just what I have been looking for between the 4 iron and 3 wood.

Holy crap, Jim that is awesome. Based off the FlightScope data with the driver, that is a monster.
I would say loft up the driver now too.

Shot the yardage with a laser so it was legit, I put the Mayasaki 43 SR shaft in the DBD and lofted down to 9 deg. still need some time to sort it out but hit some good and some bad.
I hit it real high even at 9 deg. but I agree more loft maybe the answer. I don't think I hit one more than 220 today even downwind. Going to try it a 12.5 either Friday or Sunday. For some odd reason I just do not get the speed I need with the Driver but can hammer irons and now the 9 wood.

Shot the yardage with a laser so it was legit, I put the Mayasaki 43 SR shaft in the DBD and lofted down to 9 deg. still need some time to sort it out but hit some good and some bad.
I hit it real high even at 9 deg. but I agree more loft maybe the answer. I don't think I hit one more than 220 today even downwind. Going to try it a 12.5 either Friday or Sunday. For some odd reason I just do not get the speed I need with the Driver but can hammer irons and now the 9 wood.

Yeah I am not sure.
But 215 with a 9 wood and on FlightScope a little less than that with a driver, something is missing on the driver and it wasnt spin or ball speed, which means you know its not the head. The shaft should not be an issue at these speeds, so something is a miss.

Good luck on the journey of finding it, sometimes that can be half as much fun as playing.

It is my lack of really putting a move on the driver or transition or something, it is very frustrating. I still would have loved to hit the XXIO on the scope and see if I gained anything. I think I did, but the eye has a tendency to see drives that are a lot shorter than they look..

I was puring this thing today. Hit about 30 balls, only missed the "fairway" (range golf) once. Was flying about 255-260 downhill, off the deck. Is anyone else in love with the sound of this thing by the way??

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Got in a round today and the 3W and Heavenwood were my go to clubs, I'm in absolute love with them! They were so easy to hit and I got great distance out of them, only had a couple turn into a fade and hit them probably 10 times during my round. I used both of them off of the tee and the deck and they're just so easy to get them up in the air and straight at the flag. Even used the Heavenwood out of the rough 200 yards out and put it in the center of the green and released out about 5-6 feet.

Got out yesterday to the winter course, it's a short track so outside of the 2 par 5s I don't hit driver at all, so the tee is dominated by 3 wood, Heavenwood, and Apex 4hybrid(I'll be shouting my love for this club from the rooftops of another thread) Off the deck and off the tee both these fairway woods are just so easy to hit, at address they are the opposite of intimidating and make it really easy to put the ball out there. I like the Heavenwood particularly because it just hits a distance I enjoy and really look forward to grooving that club this spring and summer. That WILL be a weapon in my bag that my opponents and playing partners will learn to despise, or go get one themselves!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am looking to replace my 3h which I sometimes have a tendency to hook.
Really intrigued with the Heavenwood, but can't find much info about versatility off difference lies. I need to be able to use it in the rough, as well as uneven lies, and the bigger head compared to a hybrid worries me a little.
Also, I like the fact that I can adjust the loft to meet my gapping needs but does it also close/open the face when the lofts are adjusted?
Thank you in advance for any info.

The Canadan bag continues to evolve for 2016. Pulling my 18 degree hybrid in favour of what will be a 19 degree heavenwood with the same shaft. Exciting!!

26b34997565db380e5f708540caace78.jpg

The Canadan bag continues to evolve for 2016. Pulling my 18 degree hybrid in favour of what will be a 19 degree heavenwood with the same shaft. Exciting!!

26b34997565db380e5f708540caace78.jpg
Dropping bombs! Can't wait for this.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

That could be lethal

Anyone have any experience with regular vs stiff shaft in the Heavenwood? If so, how much of a difference did you see? I typically play regular but have an opportunity to get one in stiff, but the longer shaft makes me wonder what I should do.

Anyone have any experience with regular vs stiff shaft in the Heavenwood? If so, how much of a difference did you see? I typically play regular but have an opportunity to get one in stiff, but the longer shaft makes me wonder what I should do.

Are we talking the stock Kuro Kage? I've used both flexes on a monitor, and the differences weren't huge for me. It's not a super heavy/stiff shaft to begin with.

Are we talking the stock Kuro Kage? I've used both flexes on a monitor, and the differences weren't huge for me. It's not a super heavy/stiff shaft to begin with.

Yeah the stock. Did you notice any difference in launch or ball height? Thanks.

Yeah the stock. Did you notice any difference in launch or ball height? Thanks.

That's hard to say - I'm not the most consistent ball striker with fairways. But I'm not someone who sees big differences in performance between R and S in the same shaft.

That could be lethal

It's going to be interesting, that's for sure. Right now it's going to play at 40.5 inches (heaven wood normally plays at 42.75) with an 86 gram shaft. I think it'll suit the number I'm pursuing and will add a little elevation and control compared to the hybrid.

I'm excited.

I hit this very nicely off the tee today after I started pondering other 3 woods. 260 with a little too much draw, 25 yards back and short left in the rough on a drivable par 4, and around a dog leg that left me with a PW in. I still might have to find something a little easier to hit off the deck, but off the tee this thing was awesome today.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

It's going to be interesting, that's for sure. Right now it's going to play at 40.5 inches (heaven wood normally plays at 42.75) with an 86 gram shaft. I think it'll suit the number I'm pursuing and will add a little elevation and control compared to the hybrid.

I'm excited.

Be interesting to see how such a light head will perform at that short of a length. Aren't most hybrid heads built to 40" around 235g?

My V Series Heavenwood head was only 210g.

Be interesting to see how such a light head will perform at that short of a length. Aren't most hybrid heads built to 40" around 235g?

My V Series Heavenwood head was only 210g.

I think it depends on the hybrid, really.

I think it depends on the hybrid, really.

Agreed but I'd have to think give or take a few grams their mostly in the 230-240 range.
I'd just worry a 210g head on a 40.5" build would feel a little light in terms of swing weight, overall weight and balance.

I hope it works for you though. I'd like to try the same thing. ?

What is the tip size of your 86g shaft your trying?

I just talked to a guy who plays all Titleist gear and he has a 4w and 4i and to bridge the gap he took a 915 3 hybrid shaft and attached it to a 915 7w head. Said he hates hybrids. But loves this club.

I'd love to try the same thing at around a 40" build. I'm only 5'4".

I thought I had read somewhere that the GBB Heavenwood head was considerably heavier than the V-series. Considering the adjustable hosel on the GBB and the extra weight to balance the head I'd say it is heavier and with your game, I doesn't sound like you'll having a problem gaming it Canadan. Looking forward to your feedback and hearing about your Grandaddy prepping.

I thought I had read somewhere that the GBB Heavenwood head was considerably heavier than the V-series. Considering the adjustable hosel on the GBB and the extra weight to balance the head I'd say it is heavier and with your game, I doesn't sound like you'll having a problem gaming it Canadan. Looking forward to your feedback and hearing about your Grandaddy prepping.

You game one, throw it on a food scale for us!! ?

You game one, throw it on a food scale for us!! 

I don't have a have food scale, it might be in this thread somewhere. I just don't have time to look for it right now, gotta tee time in an hour and a half. :banana:

Just read every post in this thread regarding the HW searching for info comparing the GBB and the V series. I seem to swing a heavier club much much better than a lighter one. There is a V series in the marketplace and for not too much money I could see if the V series is or is not for me OR... I save that money towards a shiny new GBB! Oh the struggle of ponder.

Back