Golf ball testing/finding YOUR ball

slimjim32

Reaction score
Handicap
For those that have tried out different golf balls while trying to figure out what is best for them, what process did you use to go about testing?

Did you buy a sleeve at a time and play a few rounds with the different balls? Did you play 2 balls and compare them on the course? Did you find a large open field and hit shots with each to compare that way?

Obviously it would be really nice to be able to go out on the course with unlimited time and very limited distraction from letting people play through to test. But curious how others have found "their" ball.

Trial and error. As you mentioned, I was able to buy sleeves most of the time and try them. Once I found something I was comfortable with I stuck with it.

Trial and error for me. I imagine a lot of players that are my age evolved from the Titleist balata into the ProV's and never looked back. Now there are so many options to consider, it's almost too daunting. I will say I like the Srixon Z-Star XV the best, for the simple reason that it tends to fly straighter and fall straighter on shots that would ordinarily have too much curve.

Trial and error. I have a closet full of different balls I purchased over the last year. By the end of this year I will hopefully have narrowed it down to one or two favorites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial and error and different than most, I largely judge a ball by my flight with driver.

Of course its other characteristics are very important but a ball's general straightness and flight into or through a crosswind, tops my list.

Case in point, the original Penta. Back then I used to judge a ball as recommended by most, from the green back. And with the Penta, before ever teeing off with it, I literally started from the green with putting and chipping. Then I worked back to short pitches, full pitches, iron approaches, etc.

LOVED the ball and was giddy about the find for my game. Until I hit the tee with driver. First drive ballooned, next few were very good, great distsnce. Then a couple suffered way more turn than I felt deserved. Because I loved that ball so much in every other facet, I gave it a very long look. I even revisited it a few years later hoping my since evolved swing may better mesh. Nope.

Ever since, my primary judgment is off the tee with driver. Duo-U, as another example, is the straightest urethane ball I've ever hit off the tee with driver but for me it lacks the mid-iron spin that I prefer.

Lately, I've played balls found on the course for testing. That's how I recently discovered my modern favorite the TP5 and TP5x. Strangely, they both play equally well for me. I say modern because my favorite ball is still the old TM TP Red LDP and I still have a few dozen left.

Otherwise, I'll buy balls used. Modern balls are mostly so darn good that although I may not find a perfect match, I'll still find them very playable. For those that aren't for me, I give away to friends or when a stock builds up, off to a local The First Tee program they go.

If confusion is there, find a fitting. Lots of companies do it, here is one example that is brand new.

I've taken a lot of balls to a launch monitor and compared the numbers. For example the Bridgestone RX ball was nearly 10 yards longer than my typical ball off each iron. With the right flight, that could be really deadly. Seeing the carry numbers and the flight characteristic helped me really make decisions.

I ordered used balls when going thru the process (and still do from time to time when I want to give something new a try). Lostgolfballs.com is a great site - low prices on mint balls. And when they say mint, they really are mint. Would never know they are used. I'd also recommend golfballs.com if you want new. They have good deals on "performance packs" (2 sleeves typically for cheap). That's where I would start. Happy hunting!

No offence but neither you or most people are good enough for it to matter that much

No offence but neither you or most people are good enough for it to matter that much
Awesome insight. Thanks.

I opened two posts tonight and in both you were unnecessarily critical of the OP.

Well. That’s inappropriate and uncalled for.

Also, pretty inaccurate. Lots of benefits to finding a ball that works for your game at any handicap level. Just because someone isn’t playing at a scratch or better level doesn’t mean they shouldn’t have a ball that works for them.

I actually disagree pretty strongly here, that’s a very Peter Kessler way of thinking.

Will finding the right ball be a life altering experience? Well no, of course not.

Can it save even a beginner a handful of strokes or make the game more enjoyable for them? It definitely could.

Importance of the ball is vastly undersold and under thought in the equation of things.

I actually disagree pretty strongly here, that’s a very Peter Kessler way of thinking.

Will finding the right ball be a life altering experience? Well no, of course not.

Can it save even a beginner a handful of strokes or make the game more enjoyable for them? It definitely could.

Importance of the ball is vastly undersold and under thought in the equation of things.
Agreed 100%... hell even if the benefits were mostly mental it would be a win. I'm a firm believer than confidence makes this game quite a bit easier... confidence in your equipment is a good thing

C'mon man... going to rip on someone for asking for golf ball advice on a forum that is literally for that exact topic? Uncalled for, and quite frankly, extremely inaccurate. Given that the OP is listed as an 11 hcp, I'd say he's certainly "good enough" to where the right ball makes a difference, and that finding the right ball is pretty darn important and relevant.

For those that have tried out different golf balls while trying to figure out what is best for them, what process did you use to go about testing?

Did you buy a sleeve at a time and play a few rounds with the different balls? Did you play 2 balls and compare them on the course? Did you find a large open field and hit shots with each to compare that way?

Obviously it would be really nice to be able to go out on the course with unlimited time and very limited distraction from letting people play through to test. But curious how others have found "their" ball.

Bought a sleeve or box and just played. Too much variance in golf to really be able to fully tell on a range or in limited testing. You can get ball speed numbers and other stats sure, but nothing beats on course testing. So many good options out there, that sometimes it can just come down to the sound off certain shots/putts, or how it reacts to the courses/grass that you typically play.

I enjoy seeing a guy who drives it 150 playing a 5 piece ball. I guess it really doesn’t matter.

I think it’s one of the most important pieces to fit to your game. But that’s just me.

Try Try Try, but there are soooooo many balls out there this time and I don´t think 200 balls are 200 times different.
I only play balls I played myself. Ballfitting may help but it´s not 100%. On the paper a ProV1 would fit my game, but I simply don´t like them when I play, so I play another ball, that´s it. Wouldn´t break my head for that :)

Glad we got that all figured out. Thanks for the insight.

You're telling me that the one piece of the game that you use/hit on EVERY SINGLE SHOT doesn't matter to ANY player that isn't competitively playing? Come on. Plus the fact that you have no idea of what I or most players are trying to accomplish with our game.

Personally I took 6 different sleeves to my short game area and tested them from 3 distances requiring different shots. I made notes of my observations. I then did the same on the putting green. I made a post on here last summer about the results. It was fun and I'll do it again this year, though I honestly think I'd score the same with any of them.

I went through a full ball fitting with Titleist at the THP event last March. It was incredibly insightful and surprising. Seeing the numbers on the trackman and having a professional explain what they mean and how my ball selection affects that number makes a HUGE difference. Has nothing to do skill level and everything to do with your own swing variation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me it comes down to reading reviews, then playing the ones I think might work for my game and budget. I was a big fan of used golf ball sources, Lostgolfballs.com as mentioned before, and some good eBay sellers, provided an inexpensive way to try just about anything I was interested in. I also used the old Bridgestone online ball fitting, which was more a confirmation of what I had already chosen myself than anything else, as the results were borderline between the E6 and the B330RX. Just so happened that those are the two balls I switch back-and-forth between.

for me I made sure it was a slow day on the course and played 2-4 balls at the same time. I wanted to try them at the same time so that it would minimize a good swing day vs a bad swing day. I did this for a few rounds and chose what felt best.

Back