Highest Lofted Wedge

58 RTX all day every day.

Love 60 degree loft and use them for everything 70 yds in. Carry 60.04 Vokey and 60.10 Mack Daddy PM, decision between the two based on what's under the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a 58* PM grind for the versatility and to get the benefit of the grooves towards the toe when it's opened up.

If you get more aggressive around the greens than you have the specialty shots I would go with the RTX

My highest lofted is a 58* and I use it for short sand escapes as well as soft pitches where I don't need a lot of rollout.

In your shoes, I'd go with the RTX because you may find yourself in more situations where you can use it. I say this without knowing your exact game JB, but to me, I'd rather go with the wedge I'd be more comfortable using in more situations.

So I'm going back and forth on my highest lofted wedge from my RTX 2.0 in 58 degrees and the PM Grind in 60 degrees.

I like both. I love the versatility of the PM Grind for specialty shots and it looks like a "pancake" the way it lays flat. I also love the RTX for pure use and the ability to be aggressive around the green.

I should add that I use neither for full swings. So that leads to the questions.

What do you use highest lofted wedge for?
What would you do in my situation?

I use my 58º MD3 for shots around 50 yards and in and all around the green. If I were you, I would go with whichever wedge is the most versatile. And now I'm pondering a 58º PM grind, haha!

I currently use a 60 degree wedge but am considering going to a 62. I have a tendency to help the ball in the air that I am trying to counteract any way I can!

Currently have a 60* MD2. If it was me (and could handle looking down at the PM grind) I would definitely put that in the bag. Could be such a useful club

I use my 58 for all greenside work including chips pitches and bunkers as well as rare flop shots

As for your situation it seems that the PM grind is a specialty luxury club whereas the RTX gives you more use and the ability to be aggressive in a scoring area so I would lean RTX

I like a wedge that gives me more options and so I would go with the PM graind at 60*

Same thing I'm going back and forth with Josh. I toyed with getting a 50-54-58 setup but opted for 50-54-60. I suppose it's a mental thing but I'm just more comfortable laying the 60 flat than the 58.

Use my 58 degree RTX for a good majority of the shots I hot from 90 yards and in. I do use it as a full swing club if I have 85 - 90 yards to the stick. I am more comfortable hitting 3/4 and less shots with it as the distance and the amount of roll out one it touches down are more predictable for me. I also use it 95%+ of the time from greenside bunkers. Trying to scale back a little with it on chip shots and use a lower loft and play for more toll out.

I have tried a couple of 60 degree wedges in the past and just did not have as much success with them as 58 degree wedges.

If you use your lob wedge primarily for hitting flop type shots, the 60 degree PM grind would probably be the way to go. If you use it a lot of longer pitch shots and chip and run shots, I would think the 58 RTX would be a little better overall. Of course, I have never hot a PM grind wedge so I am just projecting based on my knowledge of the 58 RTX.

So I'm going back and forth on my highest lofted wedge from my RTX 2.0 in 58 degrees and the PM Grind in 60 degrees.

I like both. I love the versatility of the PM Grind for specialty shots and it looks like a "pancake" the way it lays flat. I also love the RTX for pure use and the ability to be aggressive around the green.

I should add that I use neither for full swings. So that leads to the questions.

I have a 58* in the bag but seldom pull it out of the bag. I generally use my 54* for lobs, sand, pitches, etc.

You seem to use the two clubs for different purposes. To answer your question I would want to know how often you use each club and is it possible to bag both by taking something out from the other end. The later may be a course by course decision.

Short sided pitches over bunkers. Full shots that fall within the 60 yd range (I'm not very long). The rare flop shot when I have no other choice. 60 deg.

I'm back and forth between my 58 and 60 as well. At #TheGauntlet, I asked Mr. Cleveland what his wedge setup was and he said 50, 56 bent to 55 and 60. If it's good enough for Mr. Cleveland, it's good enough for me. I'm finding myself using the 60 only when I need the ball to get up in the air quickly, hardly ever on full shots anymore. If I were you, I'd stick with the 60. I'll be picking up a black 60 PM Grind soon enough.

I have a 58 as my highest and it gets very little use. I so go with whichever one will see more course time.

Have a 60 with 8 bounce for tight lies. Don't use it much unless I know the course has mowed fringes. I will alternate that club and an extra hybrid depending on the course.

Right now it's my 60 Degree Matte Black PM Grind. I still have a 64 Wilson FG, but I could never get the feel for it.

Much like others have mentioned I'd stick with the club with the most versatility and the one you have the most confidence in.

I use to use my 58* or 60* for every shot 80 yards and in, but now I limit it to use in greenside bunkers and full swings only and use my lower lofted clubs for pitching and chipping.

58 for me. I use it for full shots within 105 and it works well out of the sand and around the green. If I have a good lie I can open it up and flop it pretty good.

After replacing a 56 and 60 with a 58 I can't imagine ever going back to a 60.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The last few years my highest lofted wedge was a 58* ATV wedge. I recently bought the 60* PM grind - but haven't used it on the course yet.

QUestion: Why does the 58* RTX have "ability to be aggressive around the green" more than the 60* PM? Can't you do the same stuff with the Callaway?

I guess I'd use the one that you feel is more versatile. I'll be interested to see what your choice is though!

56 degree for me. I can open it up and hit it higher if need be and hit it lower when needed. I carried a 58 degree for three or four years, but rarely used it.

I always carry a 60* or a 62* wedge. Those are my bunker clubs.

JB - go with the 60, as it is a more versatile club for you.

Last edited:
My highest is a 56° RTX. I use mine for full shots and chips. I dont think i need a higher lofted wedge, but then again ive never tried one. I cant help you with your situation though.

58 is my highest lofted wedge. I use it for flop shots when needed, and have also been using it for shots less than 80 yards when the lie is correct.

I would go with the one you get the most use out of....the RTX ?

Back