Luckiest shot you have hit?

Every one of my Hole's In One! ... Oh except for 1 that was in on the fly!

My luckiest shot was in Hawaii on Mauna Lani course. I pulled a drive deep into one of the lava fields. After about 4 or 5 bounces off the huge lava rocks, my ball comes shooting back out into the fairway.
When I got to the ball, it looked like a dog had been chewing on it.

Hah! Talk about your coincidences....I came here to post about a shot I hit at Mauna Lani South. I pushed a second-shot 6-iron off into the lava. For the uninitiated, these lava fields are not the smooth glassy lava, this is the aa lava flows which are big and chunky and have about a thousand different angles in every square foot. A ball could bounce literally anywhere when hitting this stuff, and there's a 99.9% chance it will bounce further into the lava. Well, my ball bounced about 30 feet into the air, hit the green and rolled to about 20 feet. Simple two-putt for par.

My other one was in a GolfWeek Amateur tournament, when I thinned the crap out of a 6-iron. It never got more than 10 feet off the ground. I spent a while looking behind the green and was just going to take my triple-bogey max when I went up to tend the flag for the others and saw my ball in the cup. Ugliest eagle ever.

Hah! Talk about your coincidences....I came here to post about a shot I hit at Mauna Lani South. I pushed a second-shot 6-iron off into the lava. For the uninitiated, these lava fields are not the smooth glassy lava, this is the aa lava flows which are big and chunky and have about a thousand different angles in every square foot. A ball could bounce literally anywhere when hitting this stuff, and there's a 99.9% chance it will bounce further into the lava. Well, my ball bounced about 30 feet into the air, hit the green and rolled to about 20 feet. Simple two-putt for par.

My other one was in a GolfWeek Amateur tournament, when I thinned the crap out of a 6-iron. It never got more than 10 feet off the ground. I spent a while looking behind the green and was just going to take my triple-bogey max when I went up to tend the flag for the others and saw my ball in the cup. Ugliest eagle ever.

Not too much luck with the 6-iron I see ... is it still in the bag?? JK! Good job!

This is the best image I could find from a quick google search but this is hole 15 with all the water to the right: https://www.google.com/search?q=Gay...hVKJiYKHbTJAaAQ_AUICCgD#imgrc=B9JhXdJvP7-KXM:

About 4 years ago, I had a super bad slice and so much on this shot that I sliced it so far right that it went all the way across this water and landed in the fairway on 18 well beyond those trees you see to the right on this image. I ended up hitting my 2nd shot from over there (was a long cart right btw) and hit on the green and 2 putted for a par. My buddies used to joke that they added a plaque in my honor on the 18th fairway from where I made par on 15 from.

Or was it the one when I was playing with Skibum & Co at the Home Course back 9 when I hit a tee shot on a par 3 straight off the hosel and it went dead straight onto the green about 6 feet from the hole?

My HIO...actually any HIO. They are nothing but luck.

most of my lucky shots have been ricochets off trees that end up back in play. A friend of mine however, had one of the funniest shots I've ever seen. On the 13th hole of Ravenwood CC in Hermitage TN, there was a pond with a big fountain in the middle. You had to carry about 190yds to clear it and poor Dennis just couldn't do it. He'd even lay up with a wedge and either dunk it that shot, or his 2nd shot. The hole had him psyched out. He just could not get over that pond w/o taking a drop.
One day we were playing and the fountain was turned off and a big turtle was sunning himself on the fountain head. Dennis tees off with a low screamer and (you guessed it) hits the turtle. The ball deflects up and carriers enough to clear the far side of the pond leaving him about 10 yards beyond and right in the middle of the fairway. It was the first time he'd ever cleared that stupid pond. We laughed till we cried.

Lots of good stories here.

My luckiest shot came in the second year I played. After my second shot on a 476 yard Par 5 had me on the fringe but nearly against the edge of the rough. I putted it in from 20 feet out, over the fringe and sharply downhill to the right. This was in the 1970s, but when I stepped up to the ball, it was like Tiger Woods golf - I saw a curved arroe pointing to the hole and just got it started along that arrow. It was a work league, and the talk in the lounge wasn't that I had an eagle. It was that I had an eagle and shot 63 for nine holes.

The luckiest shot(s) I saw occurred at the Bon Air Golf Course near the Pittsburgh Airport. My friend and I caught up to a twosome at a 140 yds par three that crossed a public road. These guys were making up a league match, and when the second guy hit his tee shot, it struck an overhead electrical wire and took a sharp left hand turn down the wire, before falling off and landing in the road, bouncing out of sight. He turns to the three of us and says, "How do you play THAT?" To which my buddy immediately says, "You hit a man-made object. Hit again without penalty." He said it with authority, and the guy's opponent says, "I guess so," whereupon the golfer rehits and hoies it on one bounce. His opponent was not pleased.

We have a woods on one hole that is OB. I've hit many balls in that woods over the years, and I've had a fair number hit a tree or something and come out. Same with water. I skipped a low liner once on a par 3 over water and nearly made a HIO.

And Ken Venturi could do it on purpose. I seem to recall this took one take:

[video=youtube;2AI-sIGtcEM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AI-sIGtcEM[/video]

Of course, today that would have to be a 6.

Luckiest shot you have hit?

I holed out from 160 yards with an 8 iron for an eagle. I guess that counts as pretty lucky. I also hit a seagull about 210 yards away and snapped it's neck in half. That too was a pretty lucky shot, although I guess not for the seagull.

My last round, I flubbed my tee shot on a long par 5, sending it way left. It tucked up under some overhanging branches, with just a small window to sneak it out of. I originally grabbed my 3 iron to punch it out in to the fairway, but then decided, what the hell, it's my last home for the day and I've been having a fairly lucky day, so I grabbed my 9 iron, drove down hard on the ball, shot it up and through the little hole in the trees, and lost sight of it, but it looked like it was heading toward the hole. Walked out in to the fairway, and it was sitting on the green, pin high, about 15' from the hole. I putted it for eagle, and ended up an inch short of the hole, and took a birdie. I'm a fairly new player, so it was my first birdie on a par 5. I was pretty proud of that one, lol

Sent from my SM-G900R7 using Tapatalk

Last year I had 170 left on a second shot to the green, and proceeded to thin the crap out of the shot. Braced for the worst...and then it hit the sand and climbed out, settling 5 feet from the cup for birdie haha. And I made the putt!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I played in a 2 day tournament a couple years ago and the first par 3 is 140ish yards down hill with water in front of the green. I hit my shot thin and low, it hit the embankment bounced up on the green and rolled to less then 2 feet from the pin and won me the closest to the pin for that day. I was semi embarrassed to win on a shank but the score card doesn't care how you get there.

My luckiest shot happened largely because I was not paying attention. I was a single playing a new (to me) course in West Palm Beach. Somehow I skipped a hole (a short par four) and walked onto a par 3 tee.

I checked the yardage on the scorecard, which did not seem to match the hole I was on, but went with the card yardage.

Well, my driver sailed way over the green, hit the wall of the condo beyond right between two windows, and bounced back onto the green.

Needless to say, in my state of mind, I four putted for double bogey but I did not owe for a window.

Back