Need to add a hybrid

gmiller598

Par 3 Net Zero
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I need to look at removing my Heavenwood from my bag and adding a 3 hybrid to replace it since I just hit hybrids better and really struggle with fairways. I currently have the Big Bertha OS hybrids so my options are as follows:

1. Buy just the new Big Bertha 3h to add to my OS 4 and 5.
2. Buy a used old BB OS 3h from CPO to match with my existing hybrids.
3. Buy a Rogue X 3h from CPO.
4. Replace all of my hybrids with the new Big Bertha.

My Rogue driver and 3w aren't going anywhere so this is the only change I'm contemplating right now. I'm just trying to figure out if the addition of the jail break is worthwhile in the hybrids and makes that much of a difference. To replace all of my hybrids with the new BB it would be a bit more than 500 with the current trade value.

The G400 hybrids are OUTSTANDING. Definitely check one out!

EDIT: I read the options again so I understand my recommendation is outside the list, but I still stand by it!

I know there is tons of feedback in the Big Bertha thread, but the new Big Bertha hybrids are monsters. I also am excited about the Cobra F9 hybrid. The rails definitely are there for more than looks.

I need to look at removing my Heavenwood from my bag and adding a 3 hybrid to replace it since I just hit hybrids better and really struggle with fairways. I currently have the Big Bertha OS hybrids so my options are as follows:

1. Buy just the new Big Bertha 3h to add to my OS 4 and 5.
2. Buy a used old BB OS 3h from CPO to match with my existing hybrids.
3. Buy a Rogue X 3h from CPO.
4. Replace all of my hybrids with the new Big Bertha.

My Rogue driver and 3w aren't going anywhere so this is the only change I'm contemplating right now. I'm just trying to figure out if the addition of the jail break is worthwhile in the hybrids and makes that much of a difference. To replace all of my hybrids with the new BB it would be a bit more than 500 with the current trade value.

I think it depends on whether adjustability is a priority in a 3H. If you are looking for a pure distance hybrid to replace the Heavenwood, a Rogue X would be a safe bet. If you want adjustability and all your hybrids to match, the OS can be had for a song on CPO right now.

I do think Jailbreak certainly helps with ball speeds. I hit my Rogue 4H the same distance as my Epic 3H.

EDIT: I read the options again so I understand my recommendation is outside the list, but I still stand by it!

It's certainly something I'm willing to consider. I'm distance challenged so I'm wanting to maximize my distance in the hybrid spots so if the G400 or even the new 410 can put up similar ball speeds to the Callaway hybrids I'm open to it.

I tested rogue, rogue x and g400 Sunday. The rogue best for me. The 4h I bought plays strong

I had the Rogue 3h and have the Apex 3h and have seen first hand the new BB 3h in action. The new Apex is for me easily better than the Rogue, it is much easier to hit. The guys who have the BB are raving about them. So I would rate the options Apex or new BB #1 depending on what profile you prefer, the other option #2 and the Rogue #3.

I think it depends on whether adjustability is a priority in a 3H. If you are looking for a pure distance hybrid to replace the Heavenwood, a Rogue X would be a safe bet. If you want adjustability and all your hybrids to match, the OS can be had for a song on CPO right now.

I do think Jailbreak certainly helps with ball speeds. I hit my Rogue 4H the same distance as my Epic 3H.

If the jailbreak truly does that for everyone then that's certainly making the case to upgrade them all. Perhaps I just buy the 3h to start and give myself a chance to see if I get left with any gapping issues between the 3 and 4 spot and then upgrade the others at a later time. If the jailbreak doesn't add that much value to the club then I think I would prefer to just buy the matching OS hybrid to fill the spot.

I had the Rogue 3h and have the Apex 3h and have seen first hand the new BB 3h in action. The new Apex is for me easily better than the Rogue, it is much easier to hit. The guys who have the BB are raving about them. So I would rate the options Apex or new BB #1 depending on what profile you prefer, the other option #2 and the Rogue #3.

This, I did not expect. I actually love the look of the new Apex, and would love to game them, but just don't think I have the swing for them. But if they are easier to hit than Rogue...

I hated that my Rogue was 21*. I realize the new BB is too, but at least that can be lofted up 2*. I've planned to replace my Rogue with the new BB, but the Apex...

If the jailbreak truly does that for everyone then that's certainly making the case to upgrade them all. Perhaps I just buy the 3h to start and give myself a chance to see if I get left with any gapping issues between the 3 and 4 spot and then upgrade the others at a later time. If the jailbreak doesn't add that much value to the club then I think I would prefer to just buy the matching OS hybrid to fill the spot.

Rogues are super long, but a little too low spin for me, especially when paired with the Synergy shaft. I hit my 4H with a long, penetrating flight, but I could not hold a green with it to save my life. I actually life that the new BB will be higher spin. I need it.

i can't say enough good things about the cobra hybrids. i adore my f8 3h and 4h. just tons of confidence, very straight, but good spin to keep things on line and potentially holding greens. i would like to give the new apex a try, but it has big shoes to fill if it's going to replace my beloved f8.

The Apex 19 Hybrid may be the nicest club I've hit. I'm pondering really hard.

My vote is #2. Makes the most sense to me, since you already have 2 OS that you like and hit well, and a CPO will cost $100 or less

I was watching some youtube videos of guys hitting these clubs on the launch monitor. was interesting to see that they got different results and from looks of swings both guys were single digit handicap teaching pros. So I think the answer is you must test or guess. I saw a number of posts saying the Rogue penetrates and rolls. I'm a high ball hitter so it did not do this with me. I chalk this up to a mid handicap level swing but was a bit surprised to see different results from guys with better swings then I have

All about what you need...

Launch or more penetrating flight?

Decent spin into greens or one of the low spin distance hounds?

Compact or a decent sized footprint?

Buy the 3 hybrid that matches your set. I imagine you could use a Heavenwood/3H type of club a lot if this is your max distance club on par 5s, long par 3s, etc...

DT

Obviously if you can hit them and test the gapping, I would do that but option 1 could be good if you want to limit the wallet damage but with extra tech.

I honestly haven't hit anything close to as good as the G400 hybrid line. OP said he would consider it, so I'll second this comment! Don't buy anything until you've hit these beasts.

All about what you need...

Launch or more penetrating flight?

Decent spin into greens or one of the low spin distance hounds?

Compact or a decent sized footprint?

I had a club champion fitting on Monday and we went through my fairways and hybrids. We hit my 4 and 5 as a baseline and he had me hit the new 3h tuned down a degree to essentially become a 5w/hw replacement since I hit them better than fairways. Based on his recommendation all I needed to do is add the 3h and take out my heavenwood.

Perhaps I’m overthinking it but what I didn’t have an opportunity to test was how the original BB OS 3h fit just for the sake of cost savings. I know the new ones are lofted 1 degree stronger than the OS version.

If I think about each club individually, the 3h would basically be a distance club for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The new Big Bertha's are absolute rocket launchers that just seem to go straight. The Apex are great if you are looking to fill a specific gap like a long iron replacement and they seem to have a little added forgiveness this year with the Jailbreak addition.

The Rogue 3 hybrid is quite good!!

The 3h in Rogue was too long for me in testing. It started to compete with my 4w which is just to mean that my avg 4w might not be much longer or any longer then that 3h I jacked. It all depends on what distance you seek.

Back