Do You Want The Pin IN or OUT? What's your 2019 Choice?

GolfLivesMatter

Reaction score
Handicap
With the new rule I'm running into a cluster-F on the greens. Some want the pin in, others out. So now we have to have a guy hold the pin and ask each person their preference. There's no good answer....unless I'm missing something.

There are a few threads that have discussed this same point. More important for pace of play than in or out is consistency of the group. I think that there should be a general agreement that unless everyone wants it in, then it comes out as the “grandfathered” rule, so to speak. Having to pull and place the pin numerous times on the green is a mess and takes forever.

I want it out. I hate the way the flagstick "divides" the hole in my mind.

I played with a group made of a two-some and 2 singles and we had split preferences. 2 wanted it in, 2 wanted it out. What a royal cluster-eff that was. I hope that never happens again.

The one nice thing about the new rule is that the guy farthest away who usually would have the pin tended no longer has to wait for someone to do that. In our group we haven’t had the in/out/in/out scenario. Once someone has asked for it out the remaining players have been usually content to leave it out. If as we go through the progression of players nobody has chosen to take it out then it has usually stayed in.

Once the 1st player has putted he is close enough to mark, tap in or have his putt conceded and can easily tend the pin doing the out/in/out if that’s what is desired. We have even found that scenario to be no big issue when it has occurred. Either way our pace of play has really not been affected nor has the “flow” of our round been disrupted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I personally like the rule and I will leave the pin in all the time if possible. However, if I am playing with people that don't want it in I will go that route too , I won't be the one that makes the flag be reinserted for my putt. I will just go with the flow.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Leave it in for me.

I think I'm going to try leaving it in all the time. I often did while playing alone so it's not totally foreign to me.

In for long putts, out for putts under 20 feet

In. It's takes less time and you make more putts. Are the people pulling it out every time still using persimmons and balatas?

Leaving the pin in on putts where having it tended would not be necessary does two things for me. 1 - it seems to make my target look smaller, and 2 - then on breaking putts it tends to make the focus the center of the cup when I need the ball to enter the hole from basically one side or the other so I have tended to not play enough break. Over time I'm sure I could accommodate having the pin in all the time but not now.

The group should agree beforehand. Honestly most are going to just have to accept that some rounds it's going to be in unless they want to have someone tending it constantly.

I personally will generally leave it in, but if my group wants it out I will play that way too.

The best words in these scenarios: “I don’t care”

My home course has fat pins so its coming out. The course I played this weekend had skinny pins, and we left it in.

With the new rule I'm running into a cluster-F on the greens. Some want the pin in, others out. So now we have to have a guy hold the pin and ask each person their preference. There's no good answer....unless I'm missing something.

i have always had bad luck with the pin in so i cant see me putting with it in i will just keep playing it as always

If it's up to me to decide I'm taking it out because hearing the putt drop for par/birdie/eagle is so damn satisfying.

Pin in, pin out. I’m good either way. Unless the pin is leaning toward me, then out. When I’ve played with strangers it can be a cluster at times. In my regular group it’s either in or out depending on first putters choice

I haven't played much yet this year, but the odd couple of times I have managed to get out it has been with my usual playing partner and, probably through habit, both of us have pulled the pin once someone is close enough to the hole

Long putts where it would have previously been tended have been quicker with not having to wait any more, and shorter putts have just had it pulled

Once the league matches start I am happy either way, with the only exception being if the wind is blowing the flag towards me, at which point I would probably have it pulled regardless of the rest of the group - no doubt this will be discussed on the 1st tee prior to the round starting as to what the preference will be for the group

I’ll be leaving the Pin IN

If anyone watches Mark Crossfield videos, in the recent Edoardo Molinari one Edoardo says after his testing he is keeping flag out. Personally I will keep it in, until it distracts me through wind, it moving or being any other sort of distraction

Hey look!!! Another pin in or pin out thread!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My regular golf buddy & I were talking about it while watching the Farmer's last weekend at a bar. We think its kinda cool that there will be no rush to get it out while one person is setting up a chip and the other is marking his ball or reading the green. We definitely play ready golf so there will be times this should help quite a bit. We also play with some some pretty poor golfers that are just a likely to skull a chip thru the green as get it within 10 feet so we can putt out while they track there ball down.

The funny side to it all is my buddy's wife does not play but likes to come out and spectate and has always been a pretty good contributor as a forecaddie, tracking down wayward shots and tending the flag at times. During our discussion she said, "Hey I don't want to be out of a job!"

For my putts the flag will be out for now. I will try the flag in from time to time to see if I can get used to it being in.

I'll try it out, maybe more so if I play alone and no one is behind me. But I will just go with the flow and hope my round doesn't include being paired with one guy that insists the flag is always in for him, and another always wants it out as I prefer the "ready golf" style of playing.

I actually don't care if the pin is in or out. If anything, it might eliminate the guys pulling pins out on the putting green to practice, then they leave them out for someone else to reinstall.

Back