Golf Digest HoF Petition

slimjim32

Reaction score
Handicap
Golf Digest has created a petition online to have the Golf Hall of Fame induct Butch Harmon. I read the criteria and it seems to me like he fits the bill, but I don't see this petition being the reason that the sub-committee level brings forth Harmon for vote by the voting members.

What do you all think. Is Butch worthy of being in the HoF? Is the HoF just waiting for him to stop instructing? Has he done something that we don't know about?

Personally I think he's worthy of induction.

But.

Maybe if it takes Golf Digest starting an online petition to get you in, it might just really not be your time. If anything, I'd say the petition hurts his case.

Butch will get in when the time is right. Golf digest having to push for it though is just insult to injury.

He'll make it no matter what!!!

He'll make it at some point I believe. But I think the petition, while well intentioned, might do more harm than good.

I don't mind the petition. Let him enjoy an induction while he can enjoy it, and is still living. Don't think his rates can get any higher, but you never know. Can't afford him anyway.

I don't know how the Golf HOF operates. Do you have to be retired (I don't think you do)? A petition seems strange unless a) Butch is on the bubble, B) Butch has skeletons, or C) personal grudges.

I don't know how the Golf HOF operates. Do you have to be retired (I don't think you do)? A petition seems strange unless a) Butch is on the bubble, or B) Butch has skeletons.

To answer this, Phil is already in.

To answer this, Phil is already in.

I actually didn't know that Phil was in the HoF. Although unless I am reading this wrong, from the HoF's own website on criteria specifically the second section:

Male Competitors

A player must have a cumulative total of 15 or more official victories on any of the original members of the International Federation of PGA Tours (PGA TOUR, European Tour, Japan Golf Tour, Sunshine Tour, Asian Tour and PGA of Australasia) OR at least two victories among the following events: The Masters, THE PLAYERS Championship, the U.S. Open, The Open Championship and the PGA Championship.

A player must be at least 50 years old during the year of a given Induction Ceremony (example: A player must turn 50 years old in 2019 in order to qualify for the Class of 2019), or be at least five years removed from being an active participant (as determined by the Tour) on any of the original members of the International Federation of PGA Tours.

I actually didn't know that Phil was in the HoF. Although unless I am reading this wrong, from the HoF's own website on criteria specifically the second section:

Male Competitors

A player must have a cumulative total of 15 or more official victories on any of the original members of the International Federation of PGA Tours (PGA TOUR, European Tour, Japan Golf Tour, Sunshine Tour, Asian Tour and PGA of Australasia) OR at least two victories among the following events: The Masters, THE PLAYERS Championship, the U.S. Open, The Open Championship and the PGA Championship.

A player must be at least 50 years old during the year of a given Induction Ceremony (example: A player must turn 50 years old in 2019 in order to qualify for the Class of 2019), or be at least five years removed from being an active participant (as determined by the Tour) on any of the original members of the International Federation of PGA Tours.
Was in before the 50 year old rule went into place

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Could this be motivated in any way by GD trying whatever they can to retain whatever relevance they might still hold? Only asking because I don't have any clue. I just know they were very good, and had a huge subscriber base many years ago. I bought a subscription when I recently got back into golf after a long hiatus. Couldn't believe how awful they are now. Guessing their readership is way down now, I know I cancelled my subscription ASAP.

I think Butch will and should get in though. I'm just not a fan of petitions or movements to get anyone into any HOF. If someone is a true HOFer no one should have to lobby on their behalf.

Back