2014 Callaway Big Bertha Fairway Woods

I swear this thing might as well be a mini driver for me. Set at 16*, I poked a couple around 240 carry with 2k backspin and 17-18* launch. Just absolutely insanely long for a fairway wood. And unlike a mini driver, I can actually hit it off the deck!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

This is still definitely holding true...so much so that I want the 5W too!! The 3W has just been automatic for me lately.

Those of you with both, does the driver feel and sound and pound like the fw?

I asked myself that same question and went out and bought it to find out. The answer is very yes regarding the pound. The sound is kind of just a thunk, due to the forged composite head.

Just compared the 5w to the Fly-Z 5w I had in my bag (though I guess I should say 7W, since I've got both set at 20*), and I noticed the following:

-Big Bertha feels a little lighter in the head
-Big Bertha is a little shorter in shaft length
-Big Bertha sounds and feels a little "hotter", so to speak
-Fly-Z head is a little bigger
-Fly-Z is a little easier to launch off the deck
-Fly-Z has more draw bias (I have trouble hitting my stock fade with it, it wants to draw)
-Big Bertha is FILTHY long off a tee

Right now I'm leaning towards the Bertha being the winner, but I need more data.

Couple comparison pics if anyone is curious:

9da050916717c8cc02bc6593f3fba932.jpg

4162db95a5e89f455c5aa4508aa06095.jpg

Just compared the 5w to the Fly-Z 5w I had in my bag (though I guess I should say 7W, since I've got both set at 20*), and I noticed the following:

-Big Bertha feels a little lighter in the head
-Big Bertha is a little shorter in shaft length
-Big Bertha sounds and feels a little "hotter", so to speak
-Fly-Z head is a little bigger
-Fly-Z is a little easier to launch off the deck
-Fly-Z has more draw bias (I have trouble hitting my stock fade with it, it wants to draw)
-Big Bertha is FILTHY long off a tee

Right now I'm leaning towards the Bertha being the winner, but I need more data.

That is some quality stuff there. I still carry around my 5 wood in case I want to use it instead of my 3 hybrid for the day. Won't bring myself to get rid of it and my buddy has my 3 wood. Such a versatile club, I absolutely love the Big Bertha fairway wood.

That is some quality stuff there. I still carry around my 5 wood in case I want to use it instead of my 3 hybrid for the day. Won't bring myself to get rid of it and my buddy has my 3 wood. Such a versatile club, I absolutely love the Big Bertha fairway wood.
They are just a silly good line of fairways. I've got a J40 3h as well for that slot, but I'm really starting to see the benefits of having a little extra launch and forgiveness (not to mention distance) there with the fairway wood.

Now that pricing has come down on these is anybody still gaming it? I love my 5w for off the deck so I am mainly looking to add a 3w for off the tee on tighter holes. I like adjustable clubs so this one is intriguing. If memory serves me I believe the heads on these ones looked bigger than their stated size. For instance the 3w is 175cc. The larger the better for me.
Any slower swingers (driver 210-235) playing this 3w?

They're great fairways, I enjoyed the heck out of my 3w, the 816 just ended up fitting my needs better.

Love this 3w, one of the most consistent clubs in my bag. 5w is great too, I just prefer a hybrid there.

If anybody is interested in a 5w, let me know, I'm looking to offload one!

Now that pricing has come down on these is anybody still gaming it? I love my 5w for off the deck so I am mainly looking to add a 3w for off the tee on tighter holes. I like adjustable clubs so this one is intriguing. If memory serves me I believe the heads on these ones looked bigger than their stated size. For instance the 3w is 175cc. The larger the better for me.
Similar swing speeds and I really loved my 3W. I'd probably still be gaming that sweet '14 Bertha if I could. Mine had a manufacturing defect and when I showed a Callaway rep he set the proccess in motion to get me a replacement head to swap out. Somewhere along the line things must've changed, and a complete surprise to me, they ended up sending me a new 815 FW instead. Had to send the '14 Bertha back to fullfill the swap.

I played one all last season. One of my favorites. Love the profile of it. So easy off the deck, and the crown is top of my list to what Cally has done in the following releases.

I've got one for sale in the MP if this thread is getting anyone's juices flowing!

Thanks guys for the replies and info. Sounds like a winner for sure.

I'm still torn on whether or not I even need a tee only 3w in the bag. So that is my internal struggle to top off my bag.

Thanks guys for the replies and info. Sounds like a winner for sure.

I'm still torn on whether or not I even need a tee only 3w in the bag. So that is my internal struggle to top off my bag.

Rest assured if you ever wanted to hit the 3w off the deck, it's more than capable. I will definitely take a lash with it from time to time off the deck on par 5's and if I've muffed a par 4 drive, and often get very nice results. I agree it really shines off the tee, but it's no slouch off the deck either.

Played a tight course with lots of cross hazards today so ended up hitting this off the tee 6 times plus off the deck on a par 5. Hooked 2 tee balls on user error but the other 4 were roasted. I get such an awesome flight with this thing, and it feels and sounds so good.

This 3 wood flat out performed for me today. Couple times off the tee and three off the deck. Just beauties.

Back