Question about iron length....?

ajschn06

Reaction score
Handicap
If I take my new Mizuno JPX 919 irons down to my local shop and tell them I need the grips pulled, shaft trimmed 1/4", and grips reinstalled - are they going to think I'm crazy? I ordered them -1/4" instead of my normal -1/2" and they feel completely foreign....

I have the same issue going - I think a 1/4" could make a difference whether you contact the ball or the ground first.
If they're not right to you, fix them. It will only linger in that space in between your ears forever if you don't

I'm sure they will gladly take your money, snicker about it in the back, you get what you want they got paid and all will be right in the world.

Who cares if they think it's funny for 1/4" off, they offer a service and your paying it's a win win

Does it really matter what they think? They are your clubs and you want them how you want them. You are paying for a service. They probably will tell you to choke down on them to save money, but that will be about it.
Now, once they cut them down and you leave the facility, they will laugh at you and tell your story....but who cares? Get those clubs fit how you like them.

I have the same issue going - I think a 1/4" could make a difference whether you contact the ball or the ground first.
If they're not right to you, fix them. It will only linger in that space in between your ears forever if you don't

Unless you are playing One Length, Im not sure that is the case, being as though every iron is a different length.
A 1/4 inch is a pretty small amount. Easy way to see though is to mark your grips and set your hands there for a round.
Then if you want the length cut off, go for it and either way, enjoy the irons.

Really doesn't matter what they think. You pay them to do the job and, as long as they are able to do it, they should do exactly as you ask. Some people might scoff at 1/4" difference, but some people knock 1/2" off their driver shafts and swear by it (like myself). You could choke up just a little bit, but do what makes you happy. I hope you enjoy your irons.

Don't be concerned with what they think. You are paying them to perform a service that you want done so they should be happy with that.

You've posted and, if you're like me, you'll never get it out of your head now. Do it.

Could it be a little overkill? Probably, but things like this are why I often take on projects of my own. It has been a while but the last time I cut down a steel shaft I basically used a pipe cutter tool, the concern I'd have would be that roller where it clamps in might be too close to the end of the shaft for a 1/4". However, I'm sure there are better or other tools out there (especially now days). The last time I cut a graphite end I actually marked, used masking tape over the cutting area, and used a Dremel cutting tool. Worked fine and the fibers and end came out good enough for me.

If I take my new Mizuno JPX 919 irons down to my local shop and tell them I need the grips pulled, shaft trimmed 1/4", and grips reinstalled - are they going to think I'm crazy? I ordered them -1/4" instead of my normal -1/2" and they feel completely foreign....

Do whatever it takes to get doubt out of your mind. Confidence in your gear will always help your game.

It's 100% your call. I know I wouldn't personally notice any difference going 1/4" either direction but that 1/4" seems to be significant to you. Who cares what the shop doing the work thinks. Golf is such a mental game. I'm sure they're used to all kinds of requests that might seem trivial to some but are important to others ... because they believe it to be.

If it will make things feel right/correct for you then yo should for sure. The mind is a powerful thing, and it will sit there the whole time and eat at you.

I've had people come in and ask to put a 1/8" extension in all their clubs. If it truly will help you have my confidence then do it. Like others said, you're paying them to do so they wont say no.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Pretty much a consensus here. If i pay you to do a job, just do it and laugh later...I have mine an 1" longer because i grip down and have the outer weight. love that feel. I am mot tall, i just like it.

Back