66-Year old beginner needs advice on buying new irons

Spartan2001

Reaction score
Handicap
As background, I'm a 66-year, right-handed guy getting back into golf after a 20-year absence due to an arthritic shoulder. I had the shoulder replaced a year ago and now have probably 90% of my range of motion back. I've never taken lessons so I never developed a proper golf swing. I've always been pretty athletic and have, from time to time, displayed a fairly decent but wildly inconsistent swing by watching and mimicking others with a good swing...but I really need to start from scratch. My thoughts moving forward include, in the following order:
1. Get some lessons. This will involve using my old blades while trying out other clubs with the help of my pro.
2. After a couple lessons to learn how to properly swing a golf club, buy some new clubs.
3. Start practicing like a madman to develop muscle memory around my new swing.

I'm retired and fortunate to be surrounded by many public courses and driving ranges, so my plan includes lots of range practice and, when ready, heading to local courses to start getting 'real.' I'm confident my game will steadily improve as I'm still respectably athletic and really do want to put in practice time to get better.

My question is which irons to buy. Should I be focusing on players irons I can grow into, game improvement irons, or super game improvement irons? What do folks here think?

Growing into irons is an old wives tale haha.
Buy something you like the look of, fits the budget and can help hit the ball high and straight.
Low and deep CG is a great tool for beginners, as is a wider sole.

Odds are if you love the game as much as you think, you will want to change irons throughout anyway : )

Welcome to THP.

Welcome to THP Spartan2001. I started playing 14 months ago after a 15 year break and wish that I would have taken some lessons early on instead of grooving a flawed swing. I will throw out a vote for game improvement irons to start with. Buy a modern used set for now and if you hang out here at THP you will get new clubs fairly quick anyway.

Welcome to THP!! Find something you like the look of, confidence is important!

Welcome to THP

I went through pretty much the same process a few years ago. 20 year hiatus, I was 59 when I got back in. As someone who practices often (as you intend to) the one mistake I made buying irons at that time was buying steel shafts. Much less wear and tear after getting graphite in my second set. Buy something you like, something easy to hit, maybe your pro can help steer you toward a general type. GI, SGI, whatever.

Welcome! @JB has a pretty good idea of where to start, I’ll add these thoughts: but the most forgiving irons you like the looks of, and that you’re comfortable gaming. Also, graphite, as someone who’s hit one too many fat shots and struggles with joint pain as a result, graphite is your friend. The modern graphite shafts can be any flex, and as easy to control as a steel shaft, with less bearing up the joints.

Also, enjoy the search, half the fun is trying to figure out what irons you like!

I will give a personal recommendation for the 2019 Big Bertha irons, as that’s what I’m gaming, they’re fully into the GI/SGI category and easy to hit, ball go high, ball go far. That’s all I want out of my irons. They’re worth a look, but they’re not the most inexpensive set out there.

As background, I'm a 66-year, right-handed guy getting back into golf after a 20-year absence due to an arthritic shoulder. I had the shoulder replaced a year ago and now have probably 90% of my range of motion back. I've never taken lessons so I never developed a proper golf swing. I've always been pretty athletic and have, from time to time, displayed a fairly decent but wildly inconsistent swing by watching and mimicking others with a good swing...but I really need to start from scratch. My thoughts moving forward include, in the following order:
1. Get some lessons. This will involve using my old blades while trying out other clubs with the help of my pro.
2. After a couple lessons to learn how to properly swing a golf club, buy some new clubs.

I'm retired and fortunate to be surrounded by many public courses and driving ranges, so my plan includes lots of range practice and, when ready, heading to local courses to start getting 'real.' I'm confident my game will steadily improve as I'm still respectably athletic and really do want to put in practice time to get better.

My question is which irons to buy. Should I be focusing on players irons I can grow into, game improvement irons, or super game improvement irons? What do folks here think?

Welcome to the forum! I would focus on the GI category. They offer so much forgiveness and ease of use, while still being good to look at. Ping G series, Srixon Z5## series, Callaway Rogue or Big Bertha, Cleveland CBX or HB, and myriad more. There are a ton of great looking, performing irons. Hit them all and see what you like! Of note, my dad is 68 and recently got the Cleveland HBs and freaking loves them. may not suit your eye, but ball goes straight, high, and far.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of good advice in here. Might I suggest putting new grips on your old clubs in the mean time. Grips like Superstroke Cross Comfort will reduce impact on your joints.

For new irons, sounds like you are a prime candidate for graphite. Rogue X irons might be a good option for you. I also think Cleveland launcher HB’s might be a good fit but they are not for everyone.

I like that you wrote as your #1 "get some lessons".
I recommend that your instructor be one who is a member of the PGA of America. Your instructor will recommend a suitable practice routine for you to follow. He/she is also competent to advise you on golf equipment purchases.

Lots of great advice...thanks so much! I've spent a LOT of time looking at clubs and reading professional and users' reviews, and have kind of narrowed it down to getting GI clubs generally, and either Mizuno JPX919 Hot Metals or Titleist AP1, specifically. I like their looks a lot, and their performance profiles are very similar. I especially appreciate the suggestions to go with graphite shafts...they should really complement the GI type clubs for a guy my age.

All that said, I'm going to be open to the advice I get from folks here and from my pro regarding which irons to consider.

Welcome to THP. Just have some fun!

Welcome.

Go to www.callawaygolfpreowned.com, or as we lovingly call it, CPO, and buy some Big Bertha Combo Hybrid/Irons Set at a good price, with graphite shafts at a decent weight (easier on body), and then buy something else when you're ready. That will get you in the door at a decent price.

Lessons - definitely.

Range Time is nice but it also causes problems -- you need feedback. An iPhone is great for putting on a stick or having a buddy video your swings. Video is like a reality show nightmare. But you need it

Welcome! Lots of good advice here. As a long term tester, I'd encourage you to read the review thread here for the TaylorMade M4 irons. Many report great results with graphite shafts, and with the M5s and M6s introduced, M4s are or will soon be discounted. Plus there's a TM pre-owned website as well. The best club for you is the one that works best for you.

Reframmellator...the pro I'm starting lessons with represents TaylorMade so I'm confident I'll get a chance to demo some M4s.

I'd vote game improvement irons. Low CG for sure. Maybe something lighter in weight, possibly graphite shafts. I'd also look at hybrids for the low/mid irons as a possibility too. I know several guys around your age in my area that all play Srixon irons (game improvement and graphite) and love them. Not sure what the price is, but might be worth a look. Good luck with your search!

Spartan, I also restarted golf at 66. Lessons first (swing), clubs, more lessons (short game) , practice, practice practice. After a year or so, more lessons, newer clubs. And lots of practice.
After a couple more years, I still am not up to the skill level I expected, but I fear that age is getting in my way. But the bottom line is enjoying the game, making golf buddies, getting out in the fresh air, and having fun.

Spartan, I also restarted golf at 66. Lessons first (swing), clubs, more lessons (short game) , practice, practice practice. After a year or so, more lessons, newer clubs. And lots of practice.
After a couple more years, I still am not up to the skill level I expected, but I fear that age is getting in my way. But the bottom line is enjoying the game, making golf buddies, getting out in the fresh air, and having fun.

Great post !

Some good response/advice here. The only thing I'd like to add is don't get too caught up in comparing the # of the irons if you're trying them out. When I started researching earlier this year I've noticed them all over the place. (Ping for example has power spec, regular, and retro lofts within some of same set designs) So #'s on the clubs don't have the same relative worth as they did 20 years ago from set to set.

Find something you like, and hit the hell out of um. Fun times.

Welcome and I can tell you what I did when picking up the game at 67 - three years ago. My granddaughter convinced me to start playing since she joined the high school golf team and said it could be something we could do together. I thought, sure why not. It would be fun.

So I invested in a boxed set of Wilson irons. Lasted for a season until I came to the realization that these were not suitable for my improving game. I took some lessons to ensure that practices were spent improving my game and not grooving some bad habits and then got a fitting for some new clubs. End up with Ping GMax (SGI) and they lasted for another year until my game improved and then I moved on to Callaway Apex CF16's. They were excellent and helped me get my game to the next level.

My advice is to make it easy on yourself and leave your ego on the sidelines and go for something that will help you enjoy the game and improve your skills. I'd get fit for some new clubs and let the fitter decide what will work best for where you are right now. As your game comes back, you can always take advantage of trade-in options to recover a part of the cost of your initial clubs and get something that helps you play based on your skill level.

If I had it to do over, I'd do exactly the way I did. My handicap is about a 12 and that about as good as I can get at 71 years old. Loving the game and playing as much as I can.

More great posts...thank you! I see that I failed to share my objectives in taking up the game. They are, in their order of importance:
1a. Doing something physically active that won't break down my body, and that will help me remain reasonably fit as I age;
1b. Having the opportunity to do something with my golf-playing friends, and spending more time with them;
1c. Learning how to swing a golf club properly, hitting an increasing number of good shots, and just continuing to improve my game;
1d. Having fun!

I'm sure a bit of my competitive nature will leak in from time to time but I am absolutely committed to learning - and enjoying - the game of golf, along with all the interpersonal/social benefits it can provide. I am equally committed to not getting overly competitive, frustrated, or stressed out when my game doesn't keep pace with my expectations. I'm in it for the good stuff, I think.

you should start with GI irons in prior year models IMO or callaway pre-owned. As you improve, your needs will change so you need not spend a fortune unless you have a fortune. You can research on this site the models people like/liked. If people liked them in 2016, they are still good now. I may get banned for saying this but spending money does not equate to a better golf game. 30 years ago I played with a guy that had a different brand iron on almost every club. I think he shot par and I did not break 100. No idea how someone gets 8 different irons but that was pretty close to his bag and he beat me and I had Ping Eye 2's at the time.

I saw a lot of Cobra F8 irons on sale recently since the F9’s were just released. Might be a good option ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back