Stretching Routine

AUWU11

Reaction score
Handicap
7.2 GHIN
Very random question.. one that might get some eye rolls.. but nonetheless..

Lately, I feel like my swing is being negatively impacted by a lack of overall flexibility, particularly getting the club into the right position at the top of the swing, hip rotation, and then follow through. Definitely having a negative impact on swing and sequence. I stretch before rounds, but that only does so much.

Has anyone ever seen a "golf specific" stretching routine or flexibility workout? Obviously we all know basic stretches, but wondering if any THP'ers have seen anything out there that pertains specifically to golf and the golf swing.

Thanks!

Maybe not golf specific, but I know several guys who do Yoga. That is overall flexibility and motion.

Joey D has a golf specific workout, and there was a decent amount of stretching. I also saw an ad for AMPD which is a fitness company that has an app which it says will get you personalized fitness routines... but it was crazy expensive. I have been one of those doing yoga and it has definitely helped me be able to get in better positions throughout the swing.

Unfortunately that is just removing an excuse I had for being bad at golf so far, but I think it will help out eventually.

YouTube has many. Just sift through several and picked out the ones you think you will benefit from and make a routine out of them. I am in the same boat you are with flexibility and such. But I will admit I never did try to address it either. Until now

When I am on the treadmill doing cardio I will search for different ones and I made up a routine for myself and a routine for the week actually.

Joey D

Golf Fit

Golf Fit incorporates stretching, strength, and golf moves.

YouTube has many. Just sift through several and picked out the ones you think you will benefit from and make a routine out of them. I am in the same boat you are with flexibility and such. But I will admit I never did try to address it either. Until now

When I am on the treadmill doing cardio I will search for different ones and I made up a routine for myself and a routine for the week actually.

Yeah I've started going through a few of them on YouTube, hopefully will find some good ones. Let me know if you find any you really like - I'll do the same.

Check out the book The Flexible Golf swing. Has stretching protocols and also breaks down the importance of flexibility in certain parts of the body as they relate to the golf swing.

These are some of the ones I use. I started focusing on hip, thoracic, and shoulder flexibility last year. It has helped my golf and life in general since I set at a desk all day. I cant remember having any lower back pain since starting this either. One of the best stretches you can do if you sit a lot is the couch stretch. I highly recommend doing a Cobra stretch before hand though because it will hurt like the dickens the first few times you do it. Also if you're new to stretching the most important thing to do is breathe deeply and focus on relaxing the muscles that are trying to fight the stretch. You will get better at this with practice and more flexibility. I think maintaining your strength and flexibility are the most important things to do for physical health as we age.

https://www.self.com/gallery/hip-stretches-your-body-really-needs-slideshow

These are some of the ones I use. I started focusing on hip, thoracic, and shoulder flexibility last year. It has helped my golf and life in general since I set at a desk all day. I cant remember having any lower back pain since starting this either. One of the best stretches you can do if you sit a lot is the couch stretch. I highly recommend doing a Cobra stretch before hand though because it will hurt like the dickens the first few times you do it. Also if you're new to stretching the most important thing to do is breathe deeply and focus on relaxing the muscles that are trying to fight the stretch. You will get better at this with practice and more flexibility. I think maintaining your strength and flexibility are the most important things to do for physical health as we age.

https://www.self.com/gallery/hip-stretches-your-body-really-needs-slideshow

Thanks! I am at a desk for the majority of my day as well, so run into similar problems as you. Definitely hips and shoulders.

Being an older golfer, flexibility is an issue for me. Fortunately, my development has a workout room full of Nautilus-type equipment that helps isolate muscle groups. Using lighter weights on the equipment allows easy workouts, stretching where needed. Then kettle and free weights to work on my core to develop more strength. Youtube has shown me a few exercises to work with.

I actually have a lot of interest in this as well and oddly found this video for a weighted swing trainer to be amazing. I don't have their product but it's a great warm up. I feel a ton better doing it before I swing.

Edit: You will look like a dork doing them. But they work.

Double Edit: Now I'm laughing hard. The music in the background makes it seem like some experimental independent short film.

GoingLefty,

I appreciate the video, and I'd like to make use of some of those stretches, BUT that looks like something I'd do in the cart shed, after I pulled the cart out and shut the door. That pelvic thrust move. lol, The truth hurts, I need to put the work in but I'll keep it off the first tee box.

If you focus on hips and shoulder mobility you should be good. Don't forget to stretch your lats as well, many people forget they are integral for overhead mobility

My particular problem is my psoas muscle (and the other 2 muscles that work in tandem with the psoas). I think a lot of golfers probably suffer from weakness or tightness in one or both, and the resulting back pain (and compensatory pain) can be debilitating. Here is a little info and some good stretches, and there are tons of videos/websites covering strengthening and "releasing" poses/excercises: https://yogainternational.com/article/view/how-to-stretch-and-strengthen-the-psoas

GoingLefty,

I appreciate the video, and I'd like to make use of some of those stretches, BUT that looks like something I'd do in the cart shed, after I pulled the cart out and shut the door. That pelvic thrust move. lol, The truth hurts, I need to put the work in but I'll keep it off the first tee box.

bahahaha! it's true...ah man :D

if you're not into stretching routines, I think the superspeed tool might be a great solution as has been mentioned.

When I use mine, I can definitely feel all the muscles activating as work into my routine, and I like the weighted outer profile while I loosen my wrists and shoulders with windmills.

Back