Senior Shafts, My Experience beware

parsaver

Reaction score
Handicap
At 71 all fitters want to put me into senior shafts so I have an iron set with them and a driver with a senior flex. I decided to try and see how a regular flex would be in my driver, especially a 40 gram one. I gained 7-12 yds with the regular flex in a Callaway Rogue driver vs the senior flex. I used a Skycaddie for measuring the distance and did this on almost every hole with consistent results. Both shafts are identical except for the flex. So today I ordered a set of Titleist irons (AP1) identical to the ones I have but with regular flex shafts. One problem with senior shafts in my irons is the very low kick point. I understand they want to help get the ball in the air but for me that's the problem. The faster I hit the ball it just go higher. It goes up, not out. Also the whippier shafts do not give the best dispersion. So this is a sort of warning that when someone trys to fit you into senior shafts be careful! You will probably be ok with regular shafts or better.

you would think a "good" fitter would not let age play into the equation and just simply fit based on your swing.

The one thing id mention is that a whippier (or more wirey) feel deosnt always come from flex alone but instead torque will factor in as well and can make a shaft that is a bit stiffer than the next actually feel more wirey/whippier.

The softer the shaft the higher the torque is normal but there are exceptions. I was talking to someone older then me at the course and he uses a stiff shaft for tight dispersion. It gets into twilight zone when your swing slows down for fitting. Fitters are usually dismissive if you are a certain age and they just automatically put you into senior shafts.
Graphite regular shafts are easy to hit for me and if they work better than A' shafts I see no reason to go softer. They also feel much better when hitting the ball. IHMO senior shafts don't work, at least for me. If someone has changed to senior shafts and get better distance and tighter dispersion I would love to hear from them. This was just an FYI to hopefully save others who get into my situation from getting wrongly fitted and to have clubs that will be the best flex for them and their swing.

My fitter is a Golf Digest Top 100 fitter with 25 years of experience. He says the puts a player into the most flexible shaft they can control. I'm a 62 year old 10 handicapper he just put into Senior shafts on new Ping G410 irons so I guess I"ll find out soon enough.

My fitter is a Golf Digest Top 100 fitter with 25 years of experience. He says the puts a player into the most flexible shaft they can control. I'm a 62 year old 10 handicapper he just put into Senior shafts on new Ping G410 irons so I guess I"ll find out soon enough.

Pstmstr Welcome to THP

I'm curious as to what your swing speed is. Before I was fitted 6 years ago ( Thanks THP ) I played a regular shaft. Mostly because I was misinformed. I was fit to stiff shaft at my fitting. I'm 64+and a few weeks ago I was still fitted into the Stiff shaft. My swing speed has dropped from 105 six years ago to 96 at the fitting.
Good luck with your Ping G410 irons.

Thanks. About 96. I was hitting the ball pretty low in the fitting. I’m also 6’4” and only weigh 175. 4 degrees upright lie and +1/2 inch length. I’ll be curious to see how they feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back