Help with new clubs

seastrunk

Reaction score
Handicap
I am wondering if you guys can help me decide something? I play the Cobra F8 SL irons 7-PW and love them. I was hit by a drunk driver and have a broken back in 3 places which limits my turning on my back swing. I am lucky to be alive as I also have a severe traumatic brain injury. Playing golf is about all my doctors let me do. As you can imagine I do not hit the ball far without the abilty to rotate.

Do you think upgrading to the F9 SL will help with distance. I am hitting my 7i about 130 which I know sucks for a 48 yr old man. Hitting clubs on a trac man or at a demo day does not give you much info as you need to play them several roads to see how they play.

What is your opinion for me? Thank you for the forum and your help.

I feel your pain as I have broken my back 3 times and have multiple disc herniations..... but I can’t give you club advice. Glad you are still on the right side of the grass and still enjoying life. #painalldayeveryday

While everyone's case may be different and it's not exactly your situation, I had a customer come in who had a vertebrae fusion and had the F7 SL irons. He came in to be re-fit since he is now slightly shorter and can't rotate as well. He hit the F9 OL 10 yards farther than his F7 irons. That's not 100% due to the new heads as the shafts I put him in helped a lot. He went from steel R flex to graphite senior flex. That said, when we put in similar steel R flex shafts, he was 4 to 5 yards longer than the F7, specifically the 5 and 6 irons.

While I do think that you will gain some performance with upgrading, I think the biggest thing would be to re-evaluate what shafts and flex you are using now that you can't rotate as much and swing quite as fast. Another thing would be to check the length. Even though he was slightly shorter than before the surgery, it caused him to not be able to bend over as much as before so we stayed with the same length clubs. If you are also having back pain or issues bending over, I would consider going to a slightly longer club and also check your putter length as well since we tend to bend over more with the putter than with regular clubs.

Also, if you aren't able to rotate well and notice that you can't get the ball to turn over and are losing them to the right a bit (for a right-handed golfer), I would have your fitter try a shaft with more torque. The higher torque in the shaft will allow the head to twist more which may help bring the ball flight back a little straighter. This may not work for everyone but it is worth a shot.

I can’t comment on clubs but I just wanted to say I’m glad you’re able to golf and survived that horrific accident.
Hopefully your healing continues and you get to enjoy more golf and family time.

Thank God you’re able to worry about these type decisions!! Good luck with whatever you chose!!!

First, I'm glad your alive. Second, 130 yard 7 iron is not that short. I've played with a lot of people who I don't think hit it that far. Trackman or other launch monitor would probably help quite a bit to see if one iron makes a difference over another. I wouldn't expect one model to increase distance that much.

DT

Back