Golf shop etiquette or when is enough, enough?

Ooophka

Reaction score
Handicap
Over the last few weeks I’ve been in the market for new clubs. I started by trying out a new driver (which you can only preorder) but haven’t bought anything because I’m waiting for all of the new versions to hit the market. My next visit I tried the i210s which were fine but I wasn’t sold. A few days later I tried the G700s which were great but I still want to see what is out there. I tried the i500s the other day at a different shop but the fitter wasn’t half as good and they didn’t have a taller shaft in the flex I needed. I wasn’t sold. So tomorrow I’m considering going back to the original place and try the i500s and the Taylormade P790s. At what point will the fitter think I’m just wasting his time? When is too much, in the eyes of a fitter, for a person to keep coming in and trying different (or even the same) clubs?

Maybe im just being self conscious.

If you know you are going to make a purchase eventually I don't think you are wasting his time.

If you already know in your heart of hearts that you're scratching an itch and most likely won't order anything then you are wasting his time.

I do understand that feeling of self consciousness you are describing. I always just feel way more comfortable if I pay for a demo session, since for me I probably demo 10+ clubs before buying/ordering something.

if your fitter seems to lose some attentiveness when you come in to try more clubs, you'll know that person has had enough.

Over the last few weeks I’ve been in the market for new clubs. I started by trying out a new driver (which you can only preorder) but haven’t bought anything because I’m waiting for all of the new versions to hit the market. My next visit I tried the i210s which were fine but I wasn’t sold. A few days later I tried the G700s which were great but I still want to see what is out there. I tried the i500s the other day at a different shop but the fitter wasn’t half as good and they didn’t have a taller shaft in the flex I needed. I wasn’t sold. So tomorrow I’m considering going back to the original place and try the i500s and the Taylormade P790s. At what point will the fitter think I’m just wasting his time? When is too much, in the eyes of a fitter, for a person to keep coming in and trying different (or even the same) clubs?

It is required that the shop's employee/fitter be present while you are striking golf balls ?
The shop's in my area have hitting stalls and customers take clubs off display and make swings/strike shots without any supervision.

Depending on the location I think that a lot of the "fitters" are salesmen first and "fitters" second. I avoid certain golf stores because of the salesmen like tactic they push on me. Dude let me hit some balls.

I usually call my guy and ask him if he has some time for me to come over and try some clubs. I told him last fall I would be getting new irons in December and made 4 visits before purchasing. I would just tell him you will purchase from him but aren't ready to make a decision yet. Let him know your intentions

I tend to go to the golf store at off peak hours and that makes me feel better about spending some extra time.

That said, especially the Golf Galaxy, I might be doing people a favor not letting them on those sims. Yikes.

I mean, at some point the fitter IS going to think you are just wanting to try clubs without any intention of buying. When he/she starts to kind of blow you off and not seem all that interested, you'll know that you will reach that point.
On the other hand though, if you are going to drop hundreds, if not thousands of dollars on new golf clubs; you owe it to yourself to make sure that what you get is whats best for your swing. Putting up with you and everyone else is the fitter's job.

If it makes you feel better, add in and purchase some golf balls, gloves, tees or supplies you know you're going to need while explaining your intentions and trying different setups. If the fitter turns into a salesman, or if you're not ready, I wouldn't let it get you down.

The one that cares most (good or bad) is most likely you.

You are laying out a good chunk of change and you want to be sure before you spend the money. They should understand that. If not, shop somewhere else.

What kind of golf shop are you going to? Does a rep/"fitter" have to be present while you are hitting clubs? It seems like you are just trying clubs, and not actually doing a fitting. I think if you were utilizing a fitter it would cost some amount of money, no? I know when I did my fitting at a company that only does fittings I was able to hit lots of options, but I paid to do that. When I go to a golf store (Golf Mart, Fairway Golf) I'm more just trying clubs to see how they are, I'm not doing a fitting per se. The reps there can and will do fittings, but you setup an appointment to do that.

Like was stated earlier though, if the fitter starts to act uninterested or not seem as attentive to you, you've probably started to lose your welcome.

this whole topic is interesting. Its a pain in the butt. I think window shopping (the non serious buyer) is simply part of sales. I think its something that sales personnel have to endure and should do it pleasantly whether they like to or not. there are always plenty of people who are inbetweeners. Just want to check out new things and are considering those new things. Its not easy buying clubs. One should be able to go and hit as many different ones as they like and should be able to do this a number of times. unfortunately there have been very few places one can do this. You really have to be your own educator imo. Do your homework, find out as much as possible about each club/s, understand shafts best as possible, and even be able to compare results on paper via reliable sims yourself.

This is why ive truly fallen in love with the PGAT superstore. In my experiences, ts the only store Ive ever been in with plenty of decent to well informed workers and fitters. Tons of hitting bays, tons of equipment choices to try, Non commission based workers and most are willing to help without an attitude except for the occasional "im above this" jackass (nothing is ever perfect..lol). Or just let you be to do your own thing. No pressure, no disappointed looks. You can pay for a more intense fitting or get a basic fitting for free. and they have the stock of demo clubs and shafts to try (not at all perfect) but much more volume exceeding way above any other store ive ever been.

Nothing worse than walking into a store that has but only one (or maybe a second) well informed fitter or worker, only one or possible two bays, litte to almost a jokes worth stock of clubs and shafts to hit, no time to hit them and too many people for the worker/s to deal with as they multi task.

A new club comes out (perhaps a set of irons or a driver) and while your not really in need of one you want to go check it out and just maybe would consider purchasing one if you were pleasantly surprised by it. You wlk into store "x". You find one hitting bay , one informed worker/fitter, several people wanting to hit some clubs, very little choice of different shafts to try with the club, and when finally in the bay you got the multitasking sales employee obviously not in the mood to bother with your curiosity.
So you need to do this several times at as many local places as you can before you even get any good feel or idea about the club. May even visit the same store/s over again in order to accomplish this. And then when you become more serious about a possible purchase you now require some more intense knowledgeable help and you hope you will not only get it but also that they have enough different shaft choices to compare results, as well as now trying a couple/few other models....etc... What else is a consumer suppose to do? Just walk in with your initial curiosity and because you bother someone, you are to then make a purchase without much further investigations?

I mean clubs are very expensive tools and require quite the process before pulling any triggers. Some people are just happy to go and look and try a little and pull the trigger without much any process. unfortunately any sales business imo is just going to have to bite the bullet and understand that most the customers you help are not going to end up with a sale. But if the club makers and the authorized dealers are to sell the products then you just have to (with a smile) help everyone you can try as much as they like and gain as much info as they can get from you and have the stock to do it. Thats just the nature of the beast. But as consumer we often just dont get much of this. and many times we really need to (as they say nowadays) be our own doctors.

Sounds like to me, you need to have a professional fitting done. Yea it’s going to cost you some coin but you won’t be there every two days and won’t be so I’m sure. It will be a complete fitting based on you swing and capabilities. Stop the madness. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this whole topic is interesting. Its a pain in the butt. I think window shopping (the non serious buyer) is simply part of sales. I think its something that sales personnel have to endure and should do it pleasantly whether they like to or not. there are always plenty of people who are inbetweeners. Just want to check out new things and are considering those new things. Its not easy buying clubs. One should be able to go and hit as many different ones as they like and should be able to do this a number of times. unfortunately there have been very few places one can do this. You really have to be your own educator imo. Do your homework, find out as much as possible about each club/s, understand shafts best as possible, and even be able to compare results on paper via reliable sims yourself.

This is why ive truly fallen in love with the PGAT superstore. In my experiences, ts the only store Ive ever been in with plenty of decent to well informed workers and fitters. Tons of hitting bays, tons of equipment choices to try, Non commission based workers and most are willing to help without an attitude except for the occasional "im above this" jackass (nothing is ever perfect..lol). Or just let you be to do your own thing. No pressure, no disappointed looks. You can pay for a more intense fitting or get a basic fitting for free. and they have the stock of demo clubs and shafts to try (not at all perfect) but much more volume exceeding way above any other store ive ever been.

Nothing worse than walking into a store that has but only one (or maybe a second) well informed fitter or worker, only one or possible two bays, litte to almost a jokes worth stock of clubs and shafts to hit, no time to hit them and too many people for the worker/s to deal with as they multi task.

A new club comes out (perhaps a set of irons or a driver) and while your not really in need of one you want to go check it out and just maybe would consider purchasing one if you were pleasantly surprised by it. You wlk into store "x". You find one hitting bay , one informed worker/fitter, several people wanting to hit some clubs, very little choice of different shafts to try with the club, and when finally in the bay you got the multitasking sales employee obviously not in the mood to bother with your curiosity.
So you need to do this several times at as many local places as you can before you even get any good feel or idea about the club. May even visit the same store/s over again in order to accomplish this. And then when you become more serious about a possible purchase you now require some more intense knowledgeable help and you hope you will not only get it but also that they have enough different shaft choices to compare results, as well as now trying a couple/few other models....etc... What else is a consumer suppose to do? Just walk in with your initial curiosity and because you bother someone, you are to then make a purchase without much further investigations?

I mean clubs are very expensive tools and require quite the process before pulling any triggers. Some people are just happy to go and look and try a little and pull the trigger without much any process. unfortunately any sales business imo is just going to have to bite the bullet and understand that most the customers you help are not going to end up with a sale. But if the club makers and the authorized dealers are to sell the products then you just have to (with a smile) help everyone you can try as much as they like and gain as much info as they can get from you and have the stock to do it. Thats just the nature of the beast. But as consumer we often just dont get much of this. and many times we really need to (as they say nowadays) be our own doctors.

My take, as a sales professional, is to let the fitter/employee know that while you're probably going to buy something it ain't gonna be today. That way they can give you attention but not be standing over you the whole time. You can burn a whole lot of sales fuel on the NO without realizing it and when you get to a YES, you're spent and ruin the experience for everybody. A little bit of honesty in your intentions, goes a long way.

My take, as a sales professional, is to let the fitter/employee know that while you're probably going to buy something it ain't gonna be today. That way they can give you attention but not be standing over you the whole time. You can burn a whole lot of sales fuel on the NO without realizing it and when you get to a YES, you're spent and ruin the experience for everybody. A little bit of honesty in your intentions, goes a long way.

Oh i can agree with being honest. I've often said Im not yet ready to by just yet or Im unsure but interested in checking out "x" club/s and I want to see what it/they are like and hit and maybe experiment with some different shafts etc. Some sales staff are very helpful and if not busy may even enjoy helping you and chatting and suggesting things even if just to kill time. But thats only when your there at the least busy times. Unfortunately most people only have time to go when everyone else also does so it doesnt happen all that often.

But thats what i enjoy about the PGAT SS. They happily set up and they say "just let me know if you need anything or iof they have the time they stay and asist. (at least most) and help anylize hitting numbers with you as you change shafts and clubs. I just have never gotten that kind of experienc most anywhere else I ever been. Unless like i said, it happens to be a very slow hour. The other things that helps me now vs years ago is that ive got much more club knowledge vs years ago and of course know my own swing (even if not so consistent) via so many lessons and when you start talking about things the better sales people recognize you at east have some good understanding what your looking for and tend to be even more helpful as they feed off that. Of course sometimes I can know more than the sales person who may know very little. thats usually never too good a thing. and then there is always the better educated and experienced sales or fitter person that in one sense is great unless he happens to be one who has the big chip on his shoulder and thats never a good thing either.

I have tipped employess of the PGA ss after helping me test equipment and tending to me for long periods of time while in the store. They were just that helpful and willing and worked hard for me and so if an hour or more went by and they worked with me changing clubs and assisting me on the sims, giving me their opinions via the results , or what they see as i swing etc..etc.. id throw a 10 or whatever their way to say a sincere thanks for all the help and that i really appreciate it.

If you're going to wait for what's best, you'll always be waiting. The hard part of golf equipment for people like THPers is that we know that once we dive in and buy that new set of irons, some other company is going to release a new set that is *EVEN LONGER AND STRAIGHTER AND AWESOMER!!!*. We know that as soon as we jump on the new Taylormade irons, Ping is going to release something that we are going to want as well. If you wait for that cycle to end, you will just be waiting and never buying any new clubs.

If you gotta ask, you're probably over thinking it. Pick the set you like the look and feel of best and get fit for it. If you keep going and going you'll just confuse yourself. My 2 cents.

i say you cant worry about the fitter. if you cant decide you just let them/him know and go back as much as you want until you do know. You cant by something because your worried about feeling funny. You buy if/when its what you know you want to buy. . Its your money and your clubs and the expensive purchase has to sit well with you. When it sits well in your gut then thats when you'll buy them. Anything less than that and you'll be doing something for someone else who doesn't have to worry nor care if they dont quite sit well with you going forward. You cant make purchases like a set of golf clubs because you dont want to feel funny about bothering the sales people or the fitter. If thats why one buys a set then they are buying them for the wrong reasons.

Just say Im sorry and i certainly dont want to be a pain but unfortunately i just cant decide yet and I may want to keep trying them or other clubs before I make a final choice because i just have to be as sure as i can about whatever i buy. I mean your the one that has to live with the purchase, not them. So you've got to feel as correct about it as you can. there is nothing wrong with that. Thats just the way it is.

Sure you can drive yourself bonkers over it , over analyze, over think it, etc,etc,....And one can even do that to a detriment to themselves. But you know what? if thats what it takes then so be it. When your ready you will know and your the only one that matters to know. and if not ready then so be it. maybe 6 months from now you'll be ready. Or maybe tomorow or 2 weeks from next Thursday. It doesnt matter. But you still cant purchase a set just because you feel awkward about someone else. That imo is the wrong reason.

IMHO if you are truly going to buy then I say screw the fitter and what they think. You are the person parting with your money. Be sure before you buy.

Now if you are just maybe thinking about buying, that’s a different story. There’s no right answer...but if you are self conscious of it then you’ve probably reached that point.

If you really are going to buy something just tell them that. From there it’s a ‘them’ problem

There's this
Sounds like to me, you need to have a professional fitting done. Yea it’s going to cost you some coin but you won’t be there every two days and won’t be so I’m sure. It will be a complete fitting based on you swing and capabilities. Stop the madness. Lol

And certainly this.....
And absolutely this....
IMHO if you are truly going to buy then I say screw the fitter and what they think. You are the person parting with your money. Be sure before you buy.

Now if you are just maybe thinking about buying, that’s a different story. There’s no right answer...but if you are self conscious of it then you’ve probably reached that point.

If you really are going to buy something just tell them that. From there it’s a ‘them’ problem

I'm not sure if the issue is that you're not sure what to buy or if it are you going to by at all. If you're not sure that your going to buy, then yeah, I could see how repeated returns to a shop would result in less attention than your first couple of visits. However, a decent sales person should be able to recognize that your continued interest in a possible purchase would be an opportunity to tilt the scales in his favor.

If you're for sure going to buy ad are having a hard time deciding then, yeah, the sales staff is dropping the ball, IMHO. If you KNOW you're going to purchase, you're basically screaming "take my money". It's up to their sales and fitting staff to get you what works best for you. I don't know if fitters do this but If I were a small golf shop retailer, I would waive the fitting fee if you purchased from my shop. If you're coming in to have my fitter fit your into three different options so that you can go ebay shopping, then yeah, I'm raping you. But buy from me and we'll call it even.

There's this

And certainly this.....

And absolutely this....

I'm not sure if the issue is that you're not sure what to buy or if it are you going to by at all. If you're not sure that your going to buy, then yeah, I could see how repeated returns to a shop would result in less attention than your first couple of visits. However, a decent sales person should be able to recognize that your continued interest in a possible purchase would be an opportunity to tilt the scales in his favor.

If you're for sure going to buy ad are having a hard time deciding then, yeah, the sales staff is dropping the ball, IMHO. If you KNOW you're going to purchase, you're basically screaming "take my money". It's up to their sales and fitting staff to get you what works best for you. I don't know if fitters do this but If I were a small golf shop retailer, I would waive the fitting fee if you purchased from my shop. If you're coming in to have my fitter fit your into three different options so that you can go ebay shopping, then yeah, I'm raping you. But buy from me and we'll call it even.

why financially "rape" him ? Whats wrong with just charging a fair and honest fee for a fitting and the good information? Perhaps you can have a policy that fitting fees would be waived or compensated for upon club purchase. So basically it s a buy from you or you will financially rape the crap out of the customer type of policy?

perhaps your hypothetical business should have a sign on top that says …….."buy from us, or don't bother us cause anything short of that and we plan on raping you" I mean this way your true feelings will be known before the customer even walks into your store.

why financially "rape" him ? Whats wrong with just charging a fair and honest fee for a fitting and the good information? Perhaps you can have a policy that fitting fees would be waived or compensated for upon club purchase. So basically it s a buy from you or you will financially rape the crap out of the customer type of policy?

perhaps your hypothetical business should have a sign on top that says …….."buy from us, or don't bother us cause anything short of that and we plan on raping you" I mean this way your true feelings will be known before the customer even walks into your store.

Because without the financial investment, you're not tied to anything. So you're getting your free fitting & then hitting up ebay to buy based on their knowledge & expertise. Raping might be a little strong but there is absolutely nothing wrong with charging a premium price for a premium experience. The market will dictate what is a fair amount for that service.
In my line of work, my advice & consultation is free as along as we do business together. But the second your take my advice, pass it to someone else who has not worked for it and my contact info should be used sparingly and there is a dollar value associated with me answering the phone. Whether you feel this as right or wrong, is really immaterial.

I've seen the cost of a full irons fitting (ditto for a driver fitting) and IMO, those prices ARE rape. Call it what you want. I'll call it as It see it.

Because without the financial investment, you're not tied to anything. So you're getting your free fitting & then hitting up ebay to buy based on their knowledge & expertise. Raping might be a little strong but there is absolutely nothing wrong with charging a premium price for a premium experience. The market will dictate what is a fair amount for that service.
In my line of work, my advice & consultation is free as along as we do business together. But the second your take my advice, pass it to someone else who has not worked for it and my contact info should be used sparingly and there is a dollar value associated with me answering the phone. Whether you feel this as right or wrong, is really immaterial.

I've seen the cost of a full irons fitting (ditto for a driver fitting) and IMO, those prices ARE rape. Call it what you want. I'll call it as It see it.
There is nothing wrong with charging for a fitting and the info a person can leave with that they wanted. All I say is that one doesn't have to be raked over the coals for that. A fair and honest fee for such a service is acceptable imo. Why the need to over charge? or charge a high premium? or even financially rape? I don't get it.

And people say golf doesn't have to be expensive. And the golf process doesn't have to be difficult. Just how can one a budget go about buying clubs and knowing the fit as for what to buy without then being raked over the coals to obtain that?

There is nothing wrong with charging for a fitting and the info a person can leave with that they wanted. All I say is that one doesn't have to be raked over the coals for that. A fair and honest fee for such a service is acceptable imo. Why the need to over charge? or charge a high premium? or even financially rape? I don't get it.

And people say golf doesn't have to be expensive. And the golf process doesn't have to be difficult. Just how can one a budget go about buying clubs and knowing the fit as for what to buy without then being raked over the coals to obtain that?

I never said overcharge. I think the full price for fittings is a little "rapey". Others may not and that's o.k. we all spend our golf dollars as we see fit. To me, $300.00+ for a full bag fitting is over the top (again, TO ME). Others may find it as a bargain.

My philosophy doesn't change. If I ran the shop, put you through a fitting, and you purchased your clubs from my shop, the fee is waived. If not you, pay full price, here's your print out, have a nice day.

Back