Hybrid Shaft Length

Thrillbilly Jim

Raised On Hose Water And Neglect
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
A Lotter
I have been trying to figure out how I want my new bag of clubs in 2019 to finish out. I looked at older threads and didn't find the answer I am looking for. I posted this thread, to this forum, because my question is more about the length of the shaft vs the type of club.
If I want to truly replace my long irons with hybrids, 1-should I use a hybrid or iron graphite shaft? and 2-should I cut the fitted shaft length to match my iron lengths?
I am currently in the process of building my irons. If my 4 iron(23*) plays at 39" and I replace it with a 23* hybrid, should I play it at the same length or the standard hybrid length 40"? Then, most hybrid shafts play 42-40" long, so if I do tip trim it to manufactures specs and then butt trim it to my desired length, how is this going to affect how it plays? Am I better of using like a recoil iron shaft due to the length?
Just an afterthought, what is Cobra putting in their one length hybrids? Thanks for the responses.

Personally, I would play the 4H at the recommended length, but if I were to trim it, it would be butt trimmed. I play my G400 3H at 40.25 with my 4i at 38.5 and haven't had any issues with gapping, which is what I presume is your primary concern here. I would say go the route that you think you'll not only be comfortable with, but will have the most confidence in!

suppose the 4 hybrid and 4 iron are the same weight (no standards!)

if the shaft is lighter, the easiest way to maintain swingweight is to make the shaft longer - for example, 125g iron shaft -> 80g hybrid shaft = 5 SW points lighter. an inch longer brings those clubs to within 1 SW pt

Back