Titleist 716 T-MB Preview

As a person that loves blades and having owned these before, my thoughts can be summarized by one word on these... confused. Just not sure where these fit. At first with the name I thought it was interesting. An mb with some strategic tungsten weighting? Nope. So what is it then? Ap2 on steroids? Not sure except the price tag is on steroids lol. I will say that the 2,3,and 4 irons are pretty good.
Idk what it is, but I kinda wanna take the 3 on a run on top of my 4 iron. I struggle with hybrids off the deck and heck, why not see if these work?

I'm getting this in a 4 and 5-PW in the MB. I think it will be a good combo for my game.
Are you staying with 2 fairways? IIRC you game driver, 3w and 5w? It will be a good set up. The 716 mb are sweet. Personally I would opt for 4-pw mb and the 3 in tmb, but I only game one fairway at 4w

Idk what it is, but I kinda wanna take the 3 on a run on top of my 4 iron. I struggle with hybrids off the deck and heck, why not see if these work?
I hit both the 2 and 3 irons. They are forgiving and long. Hit it with s300 (3) and x100 (2). I would want a bit higher launching shaft as I didn't find the 3 or the 4 any higher launching than my current 3 or 4 irons. The 2i with x100 I didn't get it over 20 yds off the ground, but it went long and rolled a ton

Are you staying with 2 fairways? IIRC you game driver, 3w and 5w? It will be a good set up. The 716 mb are sweet. Personally I would opt for 4-pw mb and the 3 in tmb, but I only game one fairway at 4w

Actually went to a 19 hybo. Looking for a little higher ball flight with my 4ir. Comes out a little to low and doesn't land as soft as I would like. So I'm going to give this a shot. I think it will be a good thing.

I have actually hit these. They are expensive and I like the look, the back has a cool patina look to it. They are not "huge." Lol. They are like the other cup tech clubs out there but they sound better to me.

However, since the price was so high, and the performance was not better to me than the 714 AP2's I currently use, or the new AP1's 716's, so I bought the AP1's to play around with.

there are a lot of people who prefer a certain brand on this site, but that's okay to each their own. I hit a lot of new clubs last week before buying the new irons, all from diff manufacturers, I tend to choose what I like the best regardless of the name.

Actually went to a 19 hybo. Looking for a little higher ball flight with my 4ir. Comes out a little to low and doesn't land as soft as I would like. So I'm going to give this a shot. I think it will be a good thing.
Be sure to go hit it. I didn't notice a higher flight than my current (or any of my prior) 4 irons

Be sure to go hit it. I didn't notice a higher flight than my current (or any of my prior) 4 irons

You must have forgot I live in South Dakota. The chance they will have these is slim to none. I am going to Boston at the beginning of next month for work, and I'm going to see if I can get in at the titleist fitting center while I'm out there.

Honest question...isn't that what a CB is anyway? Just confused, because what you're describing IMO is a CB iron, which is what JRod was saying in the first place. So they now have MB's, CB's, T-MB's, and AP2's all in kinda the same demographic. I understand fully the thought of something for everyone, but it's really not clear who they are even going after with this club. Someone who wants MB's are going to get MB's. Someone who wants a CB, certainly isn't going to get these instead. So they're going after the AP2 crowd IMO, which these look terrible compared to. These clubs just don't make sense.

i guess i should hit them for myself, but i think they fit a need very nicely. a little help with launch in 2i-5i for those that want to carry long irons. from kang's pics these don't look any bigger than apex pro, 745, dpf, etc. they have a very traditional look, but with help to launch the ball higher, which is different than a cb design. i have a buddy who is a little shorter than i am, and is a sweeper. he just got fitted into ap2 5-pw and t-mb 3-4. makes a lot of sense. i agree with you and others who have said that titleist puts out a lot of products to fit a narrow subset of golfers, but i understand where these would fit in.

Fantastic another titleist supporter on here. I was beginning to think I was alone.

Check out the homepage when you get time, we review everything from Titleist and the threads that follow up here on the forum have got PLENTY of love and talk about the equipment. The bliss to THP? People love whatever they love, and there is no right or wrong to it.

I do think the filled internal cavity is creative, just as I did when Nickent did it with the ARC blades, but those were definitely still a true mb.
Weird ... I was just reading the Nickent ARC blade review here on THP. Hitting the W/S F5's has me thinking that I'd like to own a more demanding set of clubs, but I can't drop $1K on a set.

I really want to hit these as the entire 716 line has crept up on my radar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These are more 714's, or even higher lofted 712U's. Though I love the CB's, I'm guessing these would fit my game better :)
Hollow design, perimeter weighting, tungsten inserts, stainless.. But cast, so lots of people will probably be whining about that ;)

I am noticing a lot of Titleist staff pros using these on the long end.
Very intriguing design and similar to the PXG irons (very expensive).
MBs on the short end; T-MBs on the long end..... :act-up:

I found a little golf shop in the town I am in. Swung the AP2 at lunch, still the set I have t0 have.

God bless.

Damn those things are hideous .

These are irons are really getting the buzz!
Some of the Titleist staff now bagging a full set of the T-MB irons:

Tim Clark
Ben Crane
Jason Bohn
Tom Gillis

Update: Peter Malnati, 5 - P
Winner!

Many have them in the long end!
They are beautiful MB looking iron with the forgiveness of perimeter weighting.
Must try.

Last edited:
I personally am so so on the looks but am interested in hitting them. Heard the sound is unique

I love the look of these! The fact that last week's winner plays a full set (5-pw) says a lot IMO. Out of my price range at the moment but one day........

Last edited:
I bought a set of the new Callaway Apex Pro 16's last week (custom pre-ordered) and they lasted exactly 18 holes before they were sold! Replaced them with a set of T-MBs and after two range sessions I am flabbergasted at how good these are!!!

It's not often that a club, let alone a complete set of irons, lives up to the hype by its manufacturer, but I can honestly say that these do. I picked up a set of lightly used ones (looks like they had about 1 round on them) with Modus 120 shafts in them. The long irons are about 3/4 to a full club longer than anything I have been using but the short irons are pretty standard yardages . This really helps in regaining the standard 10-12 yard gap between my irons, where previously I was losing yardage in the longer irons.

The sound and feel is somewhat progressive through the set, with the longer irons sounding more like utility irons, whilst the short irons feel way more traditional. Hitting the short irons in the T-MB's next to the CB's and MB's there wasn't a huge difference in look or feel. The biggest difference was in forgiveness and just how easy the T-MBs are to hit. I know this sounds like fools gold, but they really are as easy to hit and as forgiving as GI clubs (like the AP1s) but as workable as any blade.

Titleist has definitely set the bar for 2016 with these.

Glad you found a set for yourself. Thanks for the review.

Held these for the first time yesterday in hand. Great shape. Little beef in the back, but a shorter style club from heel to toe like the Ap2.

I like the idea of these but not the price tag

My fitter has these in his bag. I hit these a few times and they feel soft on have some forgiveness. The price is on the high side but I think,they are very solid irons

I like the idea of these but not the price tag

my thoughts exactly. i still want to hit these, but i'd have to go to a secondary market to pick them up.

Back