TripleF

Reaction score
Handicap
What do you choose: Style or Function? Interested in how golfers decide what hat they wear? Me? My head is too big for baseball-styled hats (brim isn't wide enough so they look silly to me!). Plus, I like the idea of some real sun protection, so I wear a Tilley hat usually. What do you wear . . . and why!

I usually picked my based on how it appeals to me in look and how it fits comfort wise. If I don't like the style/color, I won't even pick it up. For example, I hate flat brim hates so I won't even give them a second look but if I see a baseball style hat and love the colors or something on it I will pick it up and see how it feels on my head. If it feels good and looks good then it comes home.

During the winter I wear a wool hatteras style hat like the Peaky Blinders. Keeps my head warm and it's more comfortable than a toboggan. During the summer I wear baseball caps. Usually a nice stretch fitted cap with a pre curved bill. I love New Era 39Thirty caps or Nike Classic 99 caps. Those 2 fit my big noggin well. The Titleist fitted caps that JT wears that come in black, white, navy, and grey are 39Thirty hats as well so I like those the best for golf branded hats.

This is my winter cap. Over the last 6 years I have collected 3 of them, tan, grey, and blue. Since I keep my hair cut to near bald I wear them all the time. They're great for warmth and they look nice enough to walk in the building with at work. I work downtown Louisville and have to walk a few blocks to and from the office every morning and evening so these keep me warm.

https://m.stetson.eu/en/hatteras-donegal-tweed-cap-beanie-navy-36409-8

Prefer non-structured caps because my head is not on thr bigger end of the spectrum.

It’s gotta fit my head and I have to like the looks. I typically wear a baseball style hat, not much else looks right on my head.

Very cool Stetson hat!! Didn't know they made this style of hat!!

Prefer non-structured caps because my head is not on thr bigger end of the spectrum.

Non-structured?? Not sure what that is . . .

Baseball style hats for me.

On course I’m a non structured guy, usually white, because I sweat.

Off it, I love a nice fitted hat or something like the puma snap backs.

Structured vs non. Non structured on the left

6a30995697dbed6d708fbc90981ce56f.jpg

(A couple of my daughters hats I had handy)

Basically the front of the hat being rigid or not. Truckers hats are structured and look stupid on my small head because the top of the hat extends well above the top of my head and the front the same way.

THP hats only for me. Usually less structure and light weight.

I love the Tilly hats when the humidity is lower but I also have several straw hats which I sometimes wear. I like the straw hats best for the reason that on hot humid sunny days you can sweat under it but it never smells like sweat plus you get good air flow through it. On cloudy days I'll just wear a baseball cap.

that hat

that hat

During the winter I wear a wool hatteras style hat like the Peaky Blinders. Keeps my head warm and it's more comfortable than a toboggan. During the summer I wear baseball caps. Usually a nice stretch fitted cap with a pre curved bill. I love New Era 39Thirty caps or Nike Classic 99 caps. Those 2 fit my big noggin well. The Titleist fitted caps that JT wears that come in black, white, navy, and grey are 39Thirty hats as well so I like those the best for golf branded hats.

This is my winter cap. Over the last 6 years I have collected 3 of them, tan, grey, and blue. Since I keep my hair cut to near bald I wear them all the time. They're great for warmth and they look nice enough to walk in the building with at work. I work downtown Louisville and have to walk a few blocks to and from the office every morning and evening so these keep me warm.

https://m.stetson.eu/en/hatteras-donegal-tweed-cap-beanie-navy-36409-8

Not my hat of choice for golf, but growing up in the south of Boston (Dorchester), in the 50's, we called them skullies. Evidently spelled as scally? It was the uniform of the day for working class "Southies" minus the razor blade of course.
https://www.bostonscally.com/produc...MI7dXY4rGd4AIVB4rICh1RYQUCEAQYAiABEgKbuPD_BwE

For golf now, I wear a wide floppy brim from Nike that covers my neck from the sun - dorky looking old man hat, but at a certain age you opt for practical over style.

If there are no clouds....broad brimmed hat like a Tilley. Cloudy and/or windy day....baseball style.

I wear baseball style cap. I prefer a fitted had but will wear a snap back. I have found the fitted titleist hats are quite comfortable but that's just a personal preference

Sent from my SM-J737VPP using Tapatalk

I once wore a Tilley Hat - 20 yrs ago. Just too "old guy" for me, so

Ping makes a good wide brim - always in the bag.

Bill Murray makes a traditional not-so-wide brim that's colorful,

and when the Ping wide brim is off the head before and after the round, a structured baseball cap is my hat of choice.

Structured vs non. Non structured on the left

6a30995697dbed6d708fbc90981ce56f.jpg

(A couple of my daughters hats I had handy)

Ok. I actually learned something today! Now I am done for the day. I am a non structured type of guy.

I have a goofy shaped head so really the only thing I look for is that I don't look like a total goober in it.

That can be a tall task .

Its gotta look good and be comfortable or I'll just never wear it.
My favorite are the Travis Mathew hats. Structure in the front, soft shell in the back, fitted look, nice designs.

My favorite are the Travis Mathew hats. Structure in the front, soft shell in the back, fitted look, nice designs.

The Trav Mat hats are amazeballs

The Trav Mat hats are amazeballs
I third TM hats. Nice structure, great stretch, they breath well. Pretty much ideal.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

For me style first then comfort second. If it doesn’t look good I won’t even try it on. Used to prefer flex fit hats but whenever I get a haircut the hat would start to feel loose so I’ve been leaning more towards snap backs again.

Back