Here we go again - another bad penalty

Architex

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
The cold
How on earth are we penalizing complete chicken **** like this, but we cant enforce pace rules?

I find it silly that if the player steps away (like he did on the video) on the green there is no penalty, but from anywhere else the penalty is added..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Dumb and Dumber

It really is sad. I can’t believe that was their intent but they’re not enforcing it correctly, in my opinion!

They'll penalize this with different rules for putting and non-putting, but won't dare to penalize slow play. Ludicrous.

Yep. That is horrible.

I don't like the penalty, but couldnt it be just as easy for a caddie to not stand there since the rules have changed?
I just hope its enforced across the board, rather than pick and choose lesser known pros.

Stupid ass enforcement. The rule is written poorly and needs to change. There’s no real defense of this I could ever listen to.

I don't like the penalty, but couldnt it be just as easy for a caddie to not stand there since the rules have changed?
I just hope its enforced across the board, rather than pick and choose lesser known pros.

Could they avoid it? Of course.

Is their action a pretty typical one for discussing a shot? I think so.

Should the rule be reworked to only be when a player addresses the ball with intent to hit? Definitely.

How on earth are we penalizing complete chicken **** like this, but we cant enforce pace rules?

This is what I was thinking.

Focus on what will make the game more appealing. Pace pace pace.

Bad ruling. He had not taken a stance with an intent to hit the ball.

Ridiculous.

Could they avoid it? Of course.

Is their action a pretty typical one for discussing a shot? I think so.

Should the rule be reworked to only be when a player addresses the ball with intent to hit? Definitely.

I agree with this entirely. The only issue I have is all a player would have to say is he was about to back off. There is far too much gray area that needs to be eliminated, and I think this rule is in place to do that, but its poorly worded (not surprising by those creating). If I was a player, I would just tell a caddie do not stand behind me.

Although its pretty clear he was not about to pull the trigger.

The player stepped away from his stance...absolutely horrible ruling!

Yet pace of play rules still aren't enforced...

The caddie made a mistake and hopefully will learn from it.
Just like the Li situation, the caddie either does not know the Rule or (more likely) is needlessly pushing it, playing with fire. There was no practical, sensible reason for either caddie to be in the position they chose.

I find it silly that if the player steps away (like he did on the video) on the green there is no penalty, but from anywhere else the penalty is added..

if that's the rule, then i agree this was misapplied.

The caddie made a mistake and hopefully will learn from it.
Just like the Li situation, the caddie either does not know the Rule or (more likely) is needlessly pushing it, playing with fire. There was no practical, sensible reason for either caddie to be in the position they chose.

that's kind of where i am. the caddie can stand anywhere else and not violate the rule. or call your man off from his address position to take a look, then swap places.

I agree with this entirely. The only issue I have is all a player would have to say is he was about to back off. There is far too much gray area that needs to be eliminated, and I think this rule is in place to do that, but its poorly worded (not surprising by those creating). If I was a player, I would just tell a caddie do not stand behind me.

Although its pretty clear he was not about to pull the trigger.

For me it’s all about intent and this one is super obvious in my books.

The way they wrote this rule absolutely sucks. Agreed that the caddie should not have been there but this feels like there’s no point to the rule.

For me it’s all about intent and this one is super obvious in my books.

The way they wrote this rule absolutely sucks. Agreed that the caddie should not have been there but this feels like there’s no point to the rule.

It’s painfully obvious in this one. Stupid ass ruling.

if that's the rule, then i agree this was misapplied.
I THINK the rule is dependent on where they are. If on the fairway or something, even if the person backs off and re aligns it is still the penalty. If on the green (like last week) if the player backs off then no penalty

So it's possibly accurately applied, just dumb that it's not the same wherever they are on the course

But I'm no rules expert

It couldn’t be the rules of golf without some moronic applications of certain ones.

dumba** rule.

Good so seem so many established upper echelon pros come out and publicly weigh in on how poorly this was enforced. The rule itself is just so stupid anyway. Anyone truly needing help to line up a 65 yard pitch isn't playing golf for a living.

That was bad. There's been videos of other caddies quickly jumping out from behind their player once there is a club in hand, but it just seems ridiculous.

The quick solution for this is caddies dont stand behind your golfer when they have a club, but this rule needs to be changed asap

What a sh!t rule...

I understand why the caddie was there though, I’m sure it’s a habit that’s gonna be hard to break. Just watch the players that still try to take a drop from shoulder height, then get corrected and awkwardly take a drop from knee height.

Back