your thoughts about Johnny Miller ?

DG_1234

Reaction score
Handicap
Like Miller, my home town is San Francisco, so he is a player people around here (who are into golf) do talk about.
Off the top of my head (I did not Google or Wki search Miller's history so please don't fault me for inaccuracy), here are a few things I remember hearing or learning about regarding Miller.

1) grew up in a middle class SF neighborhood.
2) father was a muni player who installed a net in the family garage when Johnny was about 6 or 7 years old.
3) When Johnny was about 9 he, his dad, and Johnny's older brother (I think 12 or 13 years old) were fishing the ocean from the rocks near San Francisco's Ocean Beach. Johnny's older brother fell off rock and drowned.
4) following this family tragedy I believe is when the Miller family converted to the Mormon religion.
5) when Johnny was about 12 his father introduced him to SF Golf Club head pro John Geersten, who was a member of the Mormon church.
6) through his teenage years Miller received instruction from Geersten, had access to SF Golf Club as well as the Olympic Club, and developed into a great player, including winning the 1964 USGA Junior Championship at Eugene Country Club.
7) Miller attended BYU and had an outstanding collegiate career. Following his freshman year at BYU Miller played as an amateur in the 1966 US Open at the Olympic Club, I think finishing around 8th place.
8) Miller turned pro around 1968 or 1969 . He played in an event in Napa, liked the area, so he and his wife Linda decided to live in Napa, raise their family there in various homes at or around Silverado Country Club.
9) Miller had a sensational playing career, winning about 25 events including a US Open and British Open.
10) By his late 30's Miller suffered badly from putting yips and decided to no longer play tournament golf.
11) NBC offered Miller a try at being a color commentator for its broadcasts. Miller was popular and ended up doing that work for about 30 years.

So, the above are some of my "off the top of my head" thoughts about Johnny Miller. Today is apparently his final day working as a broadcaster, and the tv coverage today will celebrate him Please post to this thread any thoughts you have about Johnny Miller.

Last edited:
First thing that pops into my mind- the only way I’d want him back in the booth is if he were to be replaced by Trevor Immelman.

Great player, not fun to listen to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny Miller is the greatest of all time.

Just ask him.

I always liked his commentary, his honesty, whether you agreed with what he was saying or not, was always a refreshing change from so many others.

I can't stand to hear him commentate on tv! To me, he is the Chris Collinsworth of golf. Now here's a guy...

He shot a 63 at Oakmont. Or so I’ve heard.

I'm one of the few that likes him. I love the brutal honesty. Obviously I will admit that he has said many things over the years that he shouldn't have or that surprised me but all in all I like him. I think he is much much better than Justin Leonard, Justin is a nice guy but just not a very good entertaining commentator

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Overall pretty darn good compared to others out there over the years. Didnt always agree with him but liked that he wasnt full on PC. Most others are usually PC cheerleading excuse making ass-kissers . Just so corny and bland. He didnt make me mute the tv like I have to do so much these days.

Like most, I've never really been a fan of his broadcasting but (also like others) appreciated his honesty (whether I agreed with it or not).

Perhaps FOX will pick him up for the next US Open. Joe Buck can listen to his 63 story.

While I appreciated his brutal honesty, his snide comments about some of the tour players (their swings in particular) were uncalled for. Overall, he was still a pretty good announcer.

I like Miller and his penchant for telling the truth as he sees it. He hasn't ever let go of being a player, so we heard him call golf according to Johnny, the player. Miller wasn't ever concerned ( at least he let on he wasn't) if he hurt feelings, nothing got in the way of the truth. So, i will miss his style of calling golf on a major network. Good luck the rest of the way, Johnny. You deserve to go out on your terms.

Glad to see him go.

Many times I’ve muted the broadcast as he got off on the tangents of what he would do, especially when he was talking about putting, sorry yippee, no thank you.

Azinger has been touted for his knowledge and sometimes brutal honesty about players and/or their performance in the past as well. It will be interesting to see how his commentary will differ from that of Miller's.

Azinger has been touted for his knowledge and sometimes brutal honesty about players and/or their performance in the past as well. It will be interesting to see how his commentary will differ from that of Miller's.

Zinger keeps it to the players though, not the 63 at Oakmont or what he did when he played.

Is Zinger going to be his replacement?

His play was before my time. I'm aware of his accomplishments and talent but that's about it for that era.

Only knew him as a commentator and he never got under my skin like with so many. At times I'd think he may have gone unnecessarily overboard but I respected (at least it was my sense) that he was honest rather than being artificially/intentionally provocative.

Still, I won't miss him. Not taking a jab, I was just always lukewarm about him anyway.

Great golfer, not so great at color commentary. I cant stand him as a commentator because he either tries to be funny and isnt or he states the obvious.

I like Johnny except for the "3 Metal"... It's a 3 Wood!

I could enjoy the tournament but Man they are blowing him between every shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the most part ok, but man when he got on a tangent he wouldn’t stop and it got old....oh I’m glad we don’t have to hear Fairway Metal anymore

Back