TaylorMade Fitting Experience

RayG

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Had my “fitting” today at PGA Superstore. Luckily, I was able to hit an outdoor range before hand (20*F... with heated stalls...kinda) to get ‘warmed up”, if you can call it that. Had to wait a few minutes until my appt time. Get kitted up and got a few wedge swings in to re-warmup before doing some baseline numbers with my current 2017 M1. Once those were in system (Trackman), we moved to M6 at 10.5 with Atmos Orange S shaft. Whoa... instant ball speed increase of 8-10 mph. And another a bit high toe still picked up 6-8. A few center strikes later the ball speed increase stayed up at around 8-10 compared to M1. Launch was great at around 10-12 with spin down to right around 1800-2000 compared to old M1 that was up around 14@2300. Smash was 1.43ish. We then moved to M5 at 9.5 with same shaft. Weights set to ‘slight’ draw bias and spin weight in middle. Not even close. I just didn’t feel as comfortable and the numbers proved it. Even a good strike only gained 5-6 mph SS and dispersion a bit all over the place. I didn’t feel like it was as connected to my hands. Feel to me was a bit numb on missed center hits. And those misses didn’t produce numbers as good as the 6. Tried a R shaft in the M5 but that was worse. Back to the M6 for a few more to make sure. Finally put 4-5 center strikes together and consistency really stood out. We have a winner! We also have a new M6 in the bag. Traded the M1 onsite(approx $100). Back to the range in AM tomorrow. Supposed to be above freezing! She’s a beauty:
c92aa2ee324514215601e83ec86838bf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's some great improvement. Impressive results. Good for you!

Awesome you found something that works, and got you a nice jump in results! Enjoy!

Now that’s something to get excited about during this awful weather!! Hope you continue to enjoy the new stick!!

Yeah, a bit of a surprise on my end. If you go by the 3 yards per mph of ball speed increase, that’s 24-30 yards! (On a center hit, of course) Considering I switched to TP5x at the end of last season and picked up 15-20 yards with the old M1, things are looking up. This is the first time I EVER went with latest and greatest. Normally a RBG last year’s model or 2 picker to save a few bucks, but hard to argue with potentially nearly 30 yards instantly. Even the M1 was picked up on sale last year when they released the M3.

Tech also mentioned that TM will be bringing ball fitting into the mix very soon. Probably beginning in March sometime. I should get a heads up since I’m now in their database. Which reminds me, have to register the new club!

Ummm... wow. I know they’re just “range” balls, but when I get to the Driver I use the best of the “real” balls that somehow wind up in the machine. Throw away the first 2 or 3 from trying too hard with new stick- but... once I settled down, balls that used to 2-3 hop and roll to fence are now ONE hopping the fence. That’s 20 yards easy. Dispersion is down as well. Off center hits are better as well. The technology works.

Congratulations on the new stick. Hope your weather improves so you can go out and enjoy it soon.

Really highlights the poor fit your old driver was for you. Missing out on all the extra performance for years!

RayG, what superstore did you go to? Paramus? I was there Friday mid-day.

Oh, and congrats on the new stick! That's seriously impressive!

RayG, what superstore did you go to? Paramus? I was there Friday mid-day.

Oh, and congrats on the new stick! That's seriously impressive!

Superstore was in Westbury, NY. I think it was one of the first “TM Fitting Experience” things

Really highlights the poor fit your old driver was for you. Missing out on all the extra performance for years!

Well, it was the M1 only since last April or so. Still, the M1 was a tad better than the R11s that came before.

Superstore was in Westbury, NY. I think it was one of the first “TM Fitting Experience” things

Oh, even if I was in Paramaus or you were in Westbury, you might have recognized the THP Shirt and Hat I had on.... The ones that came in the grab bag thing.

I like the array of options TaylorMade has for every golfer. I know most brands offer this for a wide variety of golfers but their commercials for the irons with speed foam tech and twist face injections on the driver are pretty cool.

Happy you hear you had a good experience. Enjoy the driver!

Back