Do you feel like you have to play certain equipment?

I would feel very comfortable going to tournament sponsored by anyone other than Callaway. I would probably heed staticline's advice and not sport a Callaway hat. I ended up with a Callaway bag because that is what worked best in my fittings.

My bag is pretty multi dimensional so I could probably bag a club from most manufacturers. I have been told when I played with some THPers that if I get into the RR that I should probably change out my putter cover; it if from another golf forum website that will remain unnamed :embarrassed:

I play whatever I want. If an OEM goes above and beyond to make me happy I will have a strong urge to play their stuff...if it's available.

From my experiences with people and companies in the ski and cycling industries, I can't imagine there would be any issue with playing other brand equipment. Outdoor sporting industry is a tough environment -- assume golf is too -- and I found people who survive there are balanced and have a great sense of humor. In fact, selling someone from a competitor's equipment is probably far more satisfying than preaching to the choir.

Like the OP, I had never played Callaway clubs aside from the occasional Odyssey putter. My switch to Callaway was made because the clubs flat out perform. They could've very well been Cobra, TM or any other OEM for that matter. In my case, the fact I'm going to this years Gauntlet with all Callaway sticks is just a coincidence but I play them because I'm comfortable with them. I'm not surprised that some ribbing takes place at the events, but that's all in good fun and hell, if an event ends up opening your eyes to different equipment that's a good thing!

I wouldn't see that being a big deal. Play what suits your game man! I doubt anyone cares.

There are a ton of great answers here and all are right in one way or another. I think the most important message here is have fun with the people behind the brand and the brand loyalty will just form from that. Going into the Gauntlet last year I had never been in an event with Callaway and had only dabbled with odyssey putters on and off so there was never really anything Callaway in my bag. In fact going into the Gauntlet, I had Cobra, TaylorMade, Ping, Titleist and Wilson Staff clubs. But I was so pumped going into the event that I went out right away and got a couple Callaway hats and switched balls to the Chrome Soft just to help rep a company that loves being involved in THP events. From the first day there, I was a Callaway guy 100%. The people behind the brand are what draw me to the equipment and the performance of the equipment keeps it in my hands. Now of course being in the Grandaddy adds an entirely different level of brand loyalty and I'm so thankful to have lived that but even without that trip I would be making my bag all Callaway/Odyssey

I'm going to get a new driver this spring and was 50/50 between the xr16 pro and the King ltd. After getting into the gauntlet this year it pushed me over the top for the xr pro.

Callaway does what it does because it wants people having fun and talking about the game. They're confident that you'll associate the experience (which will be awesome) with their company long after the gear still excites you.

If they want you playing their gear, there's a good chance they'll bring it for you to try, I'm sure.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Because of the Project X event last year and Don's generosity, I will do everything in my power to play only Project X shafts. I'd feel like a heel if I didn't. It doesn't hurt that they're making some amazing product with the HZRDUS line. Currently I'm Project X driver through PW except for the three wood which will be rectified soon. I started playing with Callaway only because of Phil as I've played whatever sponsor he's currently with but if he ever leaves I'll have a hard time following him this time. Besides the quality products
(2013 X-Forged irons are my second all time favorite and the BB 815 DBD changed my life) they treat their customers better than any other manufacturer as far as I can tell.

I'm not good for much. But I can be counted on for juvenile toilet humor and extreme loyalty.

I tend to gravitate to either Taylor Made or Cobra gear for some reason

My homeboy who recently started golfing somehow got it into his mind that Cobra is the finest brand available. Even he's not sure why. We joke about it like where did this Cobra obsession come from? We've been friends for over twenty years and he's been a true friend so I surprised him with a set of Cobra irons. That said I made him get Callaway woods.

There would be no "hazing" of my bag at a Callaway event... Lol

Dax

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

From firsthand knowledge, play what you want. Yes you will get a little razzing but it's all in good fun and no one cares really what clubs you play. That's what's great about free will.

Now don't get me wrong these guys will certainly get you to try their stuff and show you why it's better than the competition but it's still up to you if you want to continue playing it.

Don't worry about clothing or anything as well. No need to try and go out and spend money to try and please. Just be who you are, have a blast and you will come away with a new perspective about what some of these golf companies are all about. Just be ready to have the time of your life.

Play what you want, own it. If you catch a little razzing, and you probably will at some point. Just know it's not a personal attack. I've yet to meet anyone from the OEM side that took it personal. At the Grandaddy, we played our own clubs the first year. Playing with Harry, he said he doesn't expect everyone to play their clubs, his goal was when people are in the market that they look at Callaway as a possibility. His belief is that they make the best equipment on the market, but people are free to make choices. It's good for golf, and the economy.

Kevin kind of stole my answer. My guess is that the OEMs (Callaway in this example) take more pride is securing a customer for life based on the positive (and sometimes life changing) experiences at these events; than they would ever care about a golfer showing up at their event with a bag full of another OEM's clubs.

In fact, I'd be willing to bet they actually prefer that you do show up all decked out in another OEM's gear. They are marketing people after all, and all about expanding the brand. What's the bigger challenge? Selling their clubs to a golfer who's not playing them? Or to a golfer that is already playing them? Only one of those things grows the brand IMO.

Back