Soon to be golf dad

CotOTK

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi all, am new here so thought I'd jump right in.

My son is getting ready to play high school golf in the fall. I am looking to upgrade the clubs he has been using (all no name, ancient clubs) to something more modern that he can use for a couple of years.

I was able to get a gently used R15 for a good price, but have been having trouble find a good set of hybrids/fairway woods/irons to buy. There are so many options and cost is definitely a factor. I was hoping that you could steer me in the right direction. I was looking to spend no more than 300 on the rest of his clubs if I can get away with it, but am open to almost anything. He currently shoots in the low to mid 90's. I am not sure if better equipment will help that, but I believe it will.

I would be open to upgrading clubs in the future if he gets better and decided to stick with it.

I appreciate any advice you can give me.

Thanks!

First fr Welcome to THP!

there are so many options out there. I would try to gravitate towards the most forgiving set you can find. If your close to a range that has a trade in program I would go in and talk to the fitter, often people are trading in just what your looking for and if they're anything like we have here in decent shape, and can get them at a very reasonable price too.

Welcome to THP.

checkout the marketplace here in THP as there are usually good deals to find on some used clubs.

Thanks for the welcome! I have been overwhelmed by the choices for sure. I do think I need to find a forgiving set. Hopefully someone here may have some suggestions. I have been looking at the Callaway Edge sets. Has anyone had any experience with them?

I don't know if any of the courses around have trade-in programs but I'll definitely be calling around tomorrow. Great idea.

Welcome to THP!

Welcome to THP. Good luck to your son.

Welcome to THP!

Welcome

Welcome to thp

Welcome to THP!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Welcome to THP! The Market Place is a good place to start looking for clubs right here.

Welcome. I am fairly new here too. I just wanted to throw in my two cents. I have an R15 driver and I love it, but it did take me a lot of tweaking with the adjustments and a different shaft to get it working for my game. I would recommend getting a professional fitting done so your son can get the most out of it. Now for the irons, I think there are a lot of options. I see a lot of nice sets on Craig's list or look around for a new set that are a few years old. I hope your son does well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome. Have you looked at Callaway Preowned at all?

I would check out the preowned Callaway and Taylormade websites - those will probably be your best bets....

Welcome to THP!

Most golf shops have used clubs for sale, take your son and have him hit what they have so he can find something he likes.

Good time of year right now with all the new product coming in market, newer models are getting traded in and the older ones may be even reduced more. You may even be able to find new clubs a couple years old for a great deal.

Good luck.

Welcome to THP!

There are tons of great options but I'll toss out a specific suggestion for you. TaylorMade RocketBladez irons and Cobra Baffler FW/hybrids. I think both offer solid forgiveness and reasonably modern technology to assist your son. Because the Bafflers fly under the radar you may well be able to do it all for under $300, especially if you can find a set of Bafflers bundled together.

Welcome to THP!

like others have said, there's lots out in the marketplace but a good option would try to get to a golf shop with some demos and see what he likes. Then there are lots of options to buy out there for a good price.

Good luck to you and your son!

Nice to meet you! Good luck with the search

Not sure where you are, but if you can get to a golfsmith they've usually got some used clubs and launch monitors to test clubs out. I've never had an issue going in thee and hitting balls for an hour or two. It's nice to be able to compare results. Plus you can occasionally find some smokin deals on their used stuff.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

Welcome to THP! You should check out Callaway Preowned. You can get some quality clubs on there and you can trust their assessment of their condition.

Welcome to THP.

The market place here is a great place to start. Also check Callaway Pre owned. A lot of great deals there.

I really appreciate everyone's warm welcome and the advise that was given. I used to lose quite a few balls before I had kids, but was never really into golf as far as the technology and this brand vs that brand. Hopefully you won't get tired of me and my sometimes stupid questions. So here goes one. Do the higher priced clubs make that much of a difference to a beginner to intermediate golfer?

Thanks again for everything so far.

I really appreciate everyone's warm welcome and the advise that was given. I used to lose quite a few balls before I had kids, but was never really into golf as far as the technology and this brand vs that brand. Hopefully you won't get tired of me and my sometimes stupid questions. So here goes one. Do the higher priced clubs make that much of a difference to a beginner to intermediate golfer?

Thanks again for everything so far.

That is tough to say with an absolute. The newer tech can certainly help a golfer with a high handicap, but some technology will help more than others. Proper fitting, and launch monitors can really help identify tech that does help a specific golfer. There are so many variables it's hard to say what will help and what won't.

With that said, buying clubs that are a few years older won't hurt a lot. You may lose some forgiveness, but not a whole lot. Again, data is available, and easy to find but actually hitting a club is the only way to tell for sure IMO.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

I'll put in another plug for Callaway Preowned. I outfitted both my kids from there and got some really good buys. I think the trick is to know what you want - which would mean finding a place he could demo some different sets and shaft flexes etc. I think all the manufacturers offer quality products so just figure out which ones work for him then go from there.

Back