The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
First range session of the week and I had a little extra pep in my step with the Gauntlet news fresh in my head. Hadnt hit a ball in about 3 days, but really had a good session. Had a target I was hitting from 75, 128, 155, 175. I started with 75 yarder and was hitting a smooth 75% 58* pin high. Moved on to the 128 and was all over it pin high with my 9i. Moved onto the 155 which is one I kind of struggle with with its location on the range. I have to turn my body so I am way not square with the mat and usually that just kills my alignment but today I was free swinging and literally hit the pole twice in a row after one hop right in front of it with my 7i. on to the 175 pole. This is my 5i and started off losing them a little right. Really focused on swinging down the line and then ripped off crisp shot after another actually flying over the pole to more like 178-180. Moved on to driver and this club has been flat out performing for me the last two weeks. Really concentrating on rotating the shoulders and not getting to handsy (word?) and was seeing nice high butter cuts. Last shot was one of best drives and called it after that. It was getting to hot and I was sweating (sorry northeast peeps). Will do half full swing and short game tomorrow.

Spent about 15 mins working on takeaway and stopping at the top of my backswing without overextending. getting to the top and remaining short has been pretty good so far and hope it translates to a regular swing. Will be trying to get to the range on Thur to see if the mirror work so far can be put into effect with a normal swing.

I have to work on extension, and will be a focus in this weeks lesson.
Hit about 150 balls in the garage this afternoon and spent about 35 minutes putting.

Can't wait for winter to break!

Spnet 20 minutes on the putting green this afternoon. It was pretty soggy so I was mainly working on my stroke and not focusing as much on the ball going in. Oddly enough they went in at a pretty high rate...go figure.

But I discovered something unusual (for me). I always thought there were two primary ways of putting. A very handsy way or a rock the shoulders method. I have always been more of rock the shoulders type.

But it in varying my strokes I noticed at one point I was using my arms more than the hands and shoulders. This didn't feel very natural but the results were very good.

So so does anyone else putt with arms more so than hands or shoulders?

Spnet 20 minutes on the putting green this afternoon. It was pretty soggy so I was mainly working on my stroke and not focusing as much on the ball going in. Oddly enough they went in at a pretty high rate...go figure.

But I discovered something unusual (for me). I always thought there were two primary ways of putting. A very handsy way or a rock the shoulders method. I have always been more of rock the shoulders type.

But it in varying my strokes I noticed at one point I was using my arms more than the hands and shoulders. This didn't feel very natural but the results were very good.

Confidence and consistency for me comes from big muscle movement. Shoulders drive the train. Back of my left hand stays fixed and pointing down my intended line.

I have to work on extension, and will be a focus in this weeks lesson.
Hit about 150 balls in the garage this afternoon and spent about 35 minutes putting.

Can't wait for winter to break!

Can't wait till we play and I can see your game buddy

If I get armsie or handsy things go bad. I'm a rock the shoulders kinda guy I really gotta focus on length of back swing I can tend to get long there.

Posted in your other thread on this topic. But yes, there are other ways. I am left side dominant when I putt.

Had my first lesson of the year in prep for my trip down to Florida next week. I've been battling an inconsistent swing thanks to this crap winter season up here. We adjusted my set-up a bit, got me standing a little closer to the ball and a little taller. On top of that I'm working on getting a little better shoulder turn in my backswing, rather than just picking the club up with my arms. Hoping to get to the range this weekend and drill the set-up into memory.

I had a good practice session today. Worked on the irons at the driving range. I really worked on swinging through the ball with the back of my left hand. I have a bad habit of flipping at the ball sometimes causing weak strikes, so I was more concerned with solid ball strikes and not so much the direction. I made some good progress I think.
Worked on putting and chipping for about an hour. Since my wife and I have moved, I finally have a course near the house with a chipping green so I got some good work in. Getting ready for some THP events this year!

Back at the range again today. Irons are coming around, just need to remember that smooth is long for me.

Good range session today working on feeling an OTT move and get away from inside-out swing. I always go back to the bucket drill when I see that two way miss... Hooks and blocks. This drill gives me instant feedback if I'm swinging inside-out. It is not easy but towards the end I started hitting straight to baby fades. Here's what the drill looks like if you want to try it out.

efe7556d0ceb706d9ebffcf8d23294d7.jpg

Leaving work early today to get some range/play time in. Gotta get the rust off.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Leaving work early today to get some range/play time in. Gotta get the rust off.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I'm with you, I'm planning to leave the office a little early to work on short game.

Went to the range this morning. Hadn't swung in about two weeks and wanted to get the motion before Sunday's round.

My irons have remained quite solid and I'm excited to see that all the ball striking work is paying off.

My hybrids and fairways were pretty excellent as well, played around with hitting a little safety fade that goes 10-15 yards shorter but is very consistent. Also have been hitting a low spin draw with my 3w, it goes nearly as far as my driver and just hangs in the air forever, kinda fun to see.

Worked on the driver a fair amount and narrowed my stance a bit and it allowed me to turn a draw much better. Got into a little rhythm and was trying to channel a Snedeker swing, no idea if it looks like it but it feels like it and performed. Now I'm all excited for Sunday, that's usually a bad thing.

Went out yesterday afternoon, no one else on the course braving the cold. It wasn't too bad with UA on. Played pretty well with the short game & putting on point. A lot of good scrambling chips & pitches to save par. Only needed 28 putts ... with 3 birdies. Wasn't too happy with the driver though. So I went back to the range after the round to work on alignment and takeaway. Hit a small bucket of just the driver & fairways to get out the rust that was apparent. Hopefully it helped. I will hit the short game area again today for some more work before I hit the links again tomorrow with JonD & some fellas.

Good range session today working on feeling an OTT move and get away from inside-out swing. I always go back to the bucket drill when I see that two way miss... Hooks and blocks. This drill gives me instant feedback if I'm swinging inside-out. It is not easy but towards the end I started hitting straight to baby fades. Here's what the drill looks like if you want to try it out.

efe7556d0ceb706d9ebffcf8d23294d7.jpg
I like it. Thanks for the pic. So you are trying to miss the bucket right? I know dumb question haha

Did some work today.

f161efe4aa8426e083aee600a2fa4c2f.jpg

Everything is still so foreign fighting old habits and trusting the right moves, but I'll get there, next lesson next week I think.

Did some work today.

Everything is still so foreign fighting old habits and trusting the right moves, but I'll get there, next lesson next week I think.

That XR16..... :drool:

Did some work today.

That's a lot of gear!

G 3w, no xr 16 in there sadly.

Got some looks today on a full range hahahahaha

I have the best job ever.

Stupid Turbo-taters or whatever they are called. lol

Hit the range today after my round wanted to work on a few things that I didn't like on the course, pull draws and hybo was terrible. Shutting the face down too much is something I'm gonna have to work on stopping.

Got a chance to hit on trackman as well LA with 7i has come down a little not enough but it's progress, driver was too far in-out LA was 14-15 spin mid to high 2's was hitting up on the ball consistently 2-4 degrees gotta work on club path w/driver to get it more down the line.

It was nice to see some distance come back today though.

Went to the sim yesterday to play 18. Started off really rough then once I hit the 10th hole everything clicked. My shots from within 40 yards were really good. Hopefully in a month I can practice on a real course.

Big range day today. Last 3 have been decent with SF Tec

c5630d90a1ca29364d40cf18321e9681.jpg

Lots of indoor putting today. Been working on my stroke, specifically my take away and follow through.

Working distances from 5 to 10 feet as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back