Azinger's first tournament for NBC

DG_1234

Reaction score
Handicap
I thought Azinger performed well for his first time replacing Johnny Miller. He did not talk too much, which is understandable. I expect that as the tournaments move along he will become more comfortable and confident. One comment he did make today (which I found interesting) was that "about 5 years ago Kuchar came to me for chipping lesson and after a few minutes of watching him I told him 'you've come to the wrong guy' ". That was cool ! I also liked it when Azinger said (on about the 12th hole) when Azinger said "Rickie needs to decide if he wants to win this tournament more than he is concerned about losing it"....Good stuff.

Last edited:
When JT hit a b*tch-fade 3 wood off one of the tees into a bunker, Azinger was like "Thaaaats not a good shot. At all." Good to see he's not afraid to say anything negative.

I thought he did a great job, seemed very natural and good commentary.

Love Zinger.

Tells it like it is, as Johnny did, but doesn’t tie it all back to what he did or would do all the damn time.

When JT hit a b*tch-fade 3 wood off one of the tees into a bunker, Azinger was like "Thaaaats not a good shot. At all." Good to see he's not afraid to say anything negative.
Heard that live and JT was like "That was so close" and Zinger went like "That wasn't close at all" before following up with what you said.

I was like "damn bro, ok"

Love Zinger.

Tells it like it is, as Johnny did, but doesn’t tie it all back to what he did or would do all the damn time.

Ditto this

Definitely a fan. Enjoyed listening to him call the US Opens the past few years, and he'll do well. I have been looking forward to the change.

I really enjoyed it. He should be a good fit and I'm excited to NOT hear about shooting 63 on a Sunday at a major anymore.......

I think he will be better than Miller in the long run!!!

I enjoyed it. I feel he did a good job, but definitely felt that he was a little nervous holding back a little. Possibly out of fear of talking too much, or being immediately compared to Johnny Miller. Based on what we saw, I would say he should come into his own and be a great fit.

not much of a zinger fan, tbh. but i'm sure he'll do fine and i'll come to appreciate what he can do. i know a lot of people loathed miller, but i didn't mind him.

I enjoyed him a lot. What a wild tournament to start off with on NBC, but the guy did call the last few US Opens, so maybe the chaos of the day actually brought him comfort.

SOOOOOOO am not going to miss Johnny 63 at Oakmont Miller

not much of a zinger fan, tbh. but i'm sure he'll do fine and i'll come to appreciate what he can do. i know a lot of people loathed miller, but i didn't mind him.

I'm with you. I don't love azinger. Hes alright to me and I'm sure he will be absolutely fine.

Love Zinger.

That is exactly why I couldn't stand Johnny Miller.
So far so good for Zinger.

I liked Johnny Miller, and I enjoyed Azinger's broadcast. I don't understand why the started him mid-tournament though.

I liked Johnny Miller, and I enjoyed Azinger's broadcast. I don't understand why the started him mid-tournament though.

exactly. that was really strange.

Apparently Johnny chose the Phoenix broadcast for his exit. My guess is that he did not want the television celebration of his career to interfere with the tournament's final round, so Saturday was chosen.
As it played out, I think Saturday's Miller finale and Azinger's Sunday introduction was done well, very cool and memorable.

Apparently Johnny chose the Phoenix broadcast for his exit. My guess is that he did not want the television celebration of his career to interfere with the tournament's final round, so Saturday was chosen.
As it played out, I think Saturday's Miller finale and Azinger's Sunday introduction was done well, very cool and memorable.
I agree, I really enjoyed it.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

I've always liked his delivery and input. Says a lot without saying very much at all.

I caught that one. Thought he did a good job with it.

It will be sooooooooooo nice to hear a tournament call without a constant reference to "when I shot 63."

"You know, the color of his shoes reminds me of a fellow's shoes that was in the gallery that day at Oakmont."

"Oh you hit a shot like that and if you're trying to shoot 63 and win the Open (like I did) you know it won't happen now."

"He's just not clutch, like I was that day I shot 63."

give me a break. WELCOME AZINGER!

Azinger was fine, but I miss Miller already.

Azinger was fine, but I miss Miller already.
I'm with you! We are definitely in the minority.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Today during the Honda's final round I especially liked one comment that Azinger made about Bruce Koepka.
He said "Koepka is not the type of guy who will visit a sports psychologist. Koepka is a player who sports psychologists will study and learn from".

Back