Shorter driver length. Should more amateurs do it?

gmiller598

Par 3 Net Zero
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Just pondering since my last couple of drivers have been ordered at 1/2” short. Cobra offers the tour length version of the F9 at 1” short and an extra 8g of weights in the bottom to balance the swing weight. Nobody else seems to advertise a shortened length for control but everyone sells drivers at a longer stock length than actual tour players while stressing that they should be custom fit.

How much does the shortened length matter? I’ve been told the 1/2” doesn’t really make a difference. Does a full inch matter much to the average amateur in regards to swing speed and club head speed?

I’d also be curious to know how high of a percentage of people are fit to a shorter than stock length when they get custom fit for a driver. Do you also shorten your fairways to match?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Callaway did the -1” shaft/weight arrangement on the Fusion driver a couple years back. Since owning the 44.5” Fusion driver I have not played a driver longer than 44.75”. I’m longer, straighter and more consistent at the shorter length with no loss of CHS.

I have my TS3 at 44.5" after a Titleist fitting. The fitter kept pushing for 45.5" until near the end of the fitting, I hit 5 drives at a shorter length that went further carry and total, straighter and better dispersion. For me I find the middle of the face more often at a shorter length.

I like to sit in between, meaning I’m not big on 45+, so 44.75” I where I’ve settled, gives me enough room to feel like I’m not giving up anything, but also leaves me to easily choke down another quarter or half inch when it’s necessary for a tight driving hole.

Never fitted for a driver but after a lot of on course testing at various lengths I’ve settled on 44.25”.
I play my hybrids -1” and my irons -1/4”.

When I carry a fairway wood it’s usually a 5w and I’ve played them anywhere from -1 1/4” to -1/2”.

Never played anything over 45" previously. Received a new driver a couple of weeks ago that played to 45.25". Coming off 44.75" for the previous couple of years, it seems really long to me even though it is just .5". It is probably mostly between the ears. Did put an adapter on another shaft that will play at 45" in the same driver head and will see how that goes.

I play my driver at 44 1/2. Better contact and more consistent contact for me. I didn't change the fairway wood lengths, no issues there.

I play a 44.5" driver now. The F8 Tour Length is actually 44.25" but the Arcos sensor adds the extra .25". I have way more confidence and control and honestly I think I am longer with it an inch shorter simply because it gives me the confidence I need and I can be a bit more aggressive.

Half inch can absolutely make a difference. When I went to my golfworks training, they have sets of clubs that are all 7 irons with the same shaft and swingweight but different lengths. They have graphite and steel in senior up to x flex. Same thing for driver, all different lengths in senior to x with 9, 10, and 11 degrees loft.

These are my fitting sheets we did in class for myself. The first 2 are from the same session and the last one is from a session at a different class a month later.

For me, I play irons roughly an inch long depending on the company with a 38" 7 iron. I play my driver at 44 but with my new one I'm leaning towards 44.5 or 45.
fe6b192df9f127b6d5b796caa4c153b1.jpg
4cded2a616af58506ad68d30744d1763.jpg
f973b2c81c356d136b20a06bd04b9961.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Never fitted for a driver but after a lot of on course testing at various lengths I’ve settled on 44.25”.
I play my hybrids -1” and my irons -1/4”.

When I carry a fairway wood it’s usually a 5w and I’ve played them anywhere from -1 1/4” to -1/2”.

I'm strongly considering replacing the top part of my bag this year (Driver, 3w and hybrid or driving iron). I have never been fit for these clubs and they are stock lengths. When I think about it, virtually all of my misses with the driver and 3w are from extending the club head too far. Heel, top center or fat shot off the fairway. Even my irons I repeatedly hit on the inside. I strongly wonder if I switched to your set up that I would hit center more frequently.

Does it truly matter? I don't know, but maybe. I play my driver at 44" now I believe it is, and it has been the best thing I have ever done. I don't lose any noticeable distance, and it just feels more comfortable.

From what I gathered is cutting the shaft length may sacrifice 5-10 yards but you gain control.

I've been in the 44.5" driver length for a few years now and I still slice it so whatever haha. But I do think it's "better" for someone like me if that makes sense.

One wouldn't think 1/2" shorter would make that much different but it really does. Its crazy.

Depends on who you ask and which way the wind was blowing.

Wasnt that long ago here on THP the shaft and club companies were pushing "longer" driver shafts were the way to go.

Personally since I havent had much in the fitting realm I have NO clue what is best for me, but Im typically 45 or 44.5

From what I gathered is cutting the shaft length may sacrifice 5-10 yards but you gain control.

I've been in the 44.5" driver length for a few years now and I still slice it so whatever haha. But I do think it's "better" for someone like me if that makes sense.

I could also see from the perspective that the shorter length can help people find the center of the face more often and increase distance. I’m strongly considering ordering the F9 in the tour length which would be shorter than I’m used to but I struggle fining the center of the face with my Rogue. I guess to that end it depends on the player if there is a distance loss. I personally can’t afford to lose a bunch of yards but I lack consistency lately so my yards aren’t that consistent to begin with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess to that end it depends on the player if there is a distance loss. I personally can’t afford to lose a bunch of yards but I lack consistency lately so my yards aren’t that consistent to begin with.

Yeah I stopped caring about the distance loss for quite awhile now. I have hit some bombs with the driver cut 1" on my good days, but that's all the swing. It's the only club in the bag that I'm continually inconsistent with. When I see a coach for a lesson or whatever, I'm straightened out within 4-5 swings and smashing it. Then it's like I forgot what I was told and resort back to old habits.

I rather hit it 240 down the middle than 250 in the woods. Plus with the tees I play 240, even 230, aren't bad drives at all.

For the people who have actually paid for and, or, done a driver fitting.......
Does the fit shop actually have available 43" 43.5", 44" etc... finished length drivers for you to swing ?

Does the fit shop actually have available 43" 43.5", 44" etc... finished length drivers for you to swing ?

From what I've seen, it depends. The place I went to is a place that has classes for clubfitting, or club assembly so they have them in all different lengths for teaching purposes so you can see the difference it makes. Golf Galaxy does not have an extensive fitting selection (sorry boss) so we only get standard length shafts for drivers. Irons we get -1/2" up to 2" long in some cases.

I just had my second round with the Cally Big Bertha Fusion Heavy Driver (44.5" long, with extra weight in the head), and I will never go back to a tradional length driver. This thing is just amazing. Missed 2 fairways all round, and was driving it longer than usual due to making consistent contact on the center of the face. My playing partner, who sometimes resorts to "gamesmanship" was trying to get in my head about having another driver, but by the end of the round, even he was saying "You're playing amazing with that driver"
I have never hit any driver this well before.
By the way, I am 6'4" with long arms and legs, so you think this would not be comfortable for me, but it is.
If you wanted to experiment with one, they are very cheap on Callaway Preowned right now.

My fitter changed my shaft to a 44.5 regular from 46 stiff. Worlds better. Small sample size, but it worked for me.

Last edited:
I tried out using a shorter driver shaft and it wasn't for me, I'm finding better results with a slightly longer than standard length, just find it easier for my timing and I'm getting more centred strikes.
All shows that it is a part of getting fit

My experience is that they always have me choke down but I could see where a place like True Spec or Club Champion might actually have shorter shafts.

Callaway did the -1” shaft/weight arrangement on the Fusion driver a couple years back. Since owning the 44.5” Fusion driver I have not played a driver longer than 44.75”. I’m longer, straighter and more consistent at the shorter length with no loss of CHS.

I had forgotten they had the short version on the fusion. Based on everyone’s experiences so far I may just go ahead and take the plunge on the F9 tour length. I’ve been playing at 45. The tour length should play at 44.25 without the Arcos. I like the fact that they have 18 and 6 g weights in the head versus the 14 and 2 g weights in the stock to balance it out.

I also plan on shortening the F9 3-4w 1/2” and that should then blend into the new Rogue X 3h I’m adding to replace my HW.

I think it matters for woods. I think it's largely irrelevant with irons because you can easily bend the lie angle to move impact position across the face (lie angle IS important).

I've done my own testing and found that the longer the wood, the more likely I am to miss heel side. I tried several lengths and found that 44.5" puts the contact a little too much toward the toe so I settled on 44.75". I actually ordered my last driver at the stock length (45") and definitely saw a trend of impacts slightly more toward the heel side again. I just regripped it and took 1/4" off from the butt end. Same for the 3 wood - from 43" to 42.75".

Ping always does the best job of sharing tour pro information and the majority of their staff have drivers playing around 45" or shorter. Bubba Watson is 6'3" and plays his driver at 44.5". Tony Finau is 6'4" and plays his at 45.25. I'm not saying amateurs should copy everything pros do, but when the best in the world are playing sub 46" drivers it should be a sign/clue that it's at least worth the effort to do your own testing at shorter lengths.

Club champion had 44.5 and even 44in available 2 weeks ago when I went. I play my driver at 44.5 and find it to be much more consistent than standard 45.5. Club mph is down 2-3mph on avg but smash goes up b/c im able to consistently square the club and hit the center. The 44in driver when I got fit was actually the most consistent.

Back