Where to take golf lessons

mrkich

Reaction score
Handicap
I’m looking into getting some lessons and was wondering if anyone has info on taking lessons with a pro at a club you’re not a member at. Is it a waste of time to reach out or is it something that pros do for non members?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took a single lesson at PGA SS and was very satisfied. The lesson and instructor was good and the video he sent me afterwards is invaluable to see what I was doing wrong.

It usually depends on the arrangement the Pro has with the club. Some will allow on site lessons for anyone, some restrict it to members and their guests.

I’m looking into getting some lessons and was wondering if anyone has info on taking lessons with a pro at a club you’re not a member at. Is it a waste of time to reach out or is it something that pros do for non members?

First of all, it's definitely not a "waste of time" to seek the best instructor you can find for your golf lessons.
Most private clubs allow their teaching staff to schedule non member lessons. Here is a link to find PGA of America teaching pros near you:

https://www.pga.com/solr-search/res...sort=score-desc&spotlight=true&context=pgapro

When I was younger and starting out, I took 6 lessons at a local club I played at often but was not actually a member. Was very satisfied. Have actually ended up staying in touch with him through Facebook even now that he's moved back to England. Would definitely recommend it.

Just make sure it's outdoors man.

Nothing against artificial grass and launch monitors but being outside is 100x better.

I would say with whom is way more important than where. I have taken lots of lessons in many different disciplines. The most valuable teaching I have received has been from the instructors who teach to the student, rather than teach to a method. I learn better when given technical info and am critiqued on my errors. I do not do well with the happy happy joy joy, you're doing great type of teaching.

I think it would depend on the pro, like the few at my home course I'm sure would give lessons to non members if they reached out to them.

I would say with whom is way more important than where. I have taken lots of lessons in many different disciplines. The most valuable teaching I have received has been from the instructors who teach to the student, rather than teach to a method. I learn better when given technical info and am critiqued on my errors. I do not do well with the happy happy joy joy, you're doing great type of teaching.

This this this. The guy I take lessons from is awesome. Took a while to go through guys that just didn’t click but if you can find the right guy it makes a world of difference.

Thanks for the replies everyone. In LA we don’t have many grass ranges so that’s why I thought to go the club route. Really great info here.

Back