Iron shaft recommendations

jfrigo1003

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Before it gets mentioned I know the "correct" answer is get fitted again...

I have 2 sets of irons, one set has project x 6.5 and the other set has project x PXI 6.5. My driver speed is between 110 - 113 so flex I know I need x stiff, and I've started to prefer the lighter weight in the PXI shafts. both shafts are low launch / low spin. With irons ive always hit them pretty high, so launch has never been an issue for me. Spin is my problem, way tooooooo low! Spent some time at the simulator yesterday and really looked at numbers finally. With a 7 iron I was averaging 188 yards. Spin rates were super low , 3800 - 4200 playing a draw. Im able to hit a fade at 4800 but that's not my natural shot. Because I hit the ball so high holding greens has not been a problem for me either. If I were to play firmer courses in dry conditions (in Chicago thats usually never the case) I'm sure eventually I would have a problem.

Ive tried Project X LZ and Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 and those just ballooned on me and went nowhere.... Im looking for something to help get my spin up without raising my launch considerably. In my wedges I have the KBS $ Taper and thinking of trying those

Get fit

If your spin is too low, there is a chance your launch is as well. While shafts can change those dynamics, so can golf ball and of course club head will have the biggest role (outside of impact). Another area of note, just because you have a faster swing speed, does not mean you automatically jump to X. Transition is key here as are a number of other factors.

Another option would be graphite. Where stability, weight and flex are not wrapped into the same thing, so they can be manipulated separately.

Get fit

If your spin is too low, there is a chance your launch is as well. While shafts can change those dynamics, so can golf ball and of course club head will have the biggest role (outside of impact). Another area of note, just because you have a faster swing speed, does not mean you automatically jump to X. Transition is key here as are a number of other factors.

Another option would be graphite. Where stability, weight and flex are not wrapped into the same thing, so they can be manipulated separately.

Low launch, low spin, I know that curse.

Sounds like you know what your doing I recommend just hitting some off the rack demo's. Take one of the 7's at reg flex dg and whale on it what's the spin,then try the s-300 basic get a feel for stock and maybe from there you can get an idea of the higher end x flex parameters

Sounds like you know what your doing I recommend just hitting some off the rack demo's. Take one of the 7's at reg flex dg and whale on it what's the spin,then try the s-300 basic get a feel for stock and maybe from there you can get an idea of the higher end x flex parameters

haven't thought of that but like the idea . Thanks!

Back