Otis32

Reaction score
Handicap
Something started to happen with my driver swing last year and the issue became cemented in the second half of the year. Good swings in previous years would see me carrying my driver in the 235-240 yard range. Right now what feels like a good swing and good contact is more like 210-215 yards in the air.

While I am aging (mid-50's) I still hit my mid irons and below a very respectable distance. 7-iron swing speeds on my skytrak and with the sim at the club are routinely in the upper 70's to 80-81 MPH. Driver swing speed has now dipped below 90 when the summer before it was in the 93-97 range.

Did spend a lot of time last year with the sim dialing in my irons, working on ball first contact, staying centered, "on top" of the ball and finishing on my left side. It worked pretty well and I got my index under 10 for the first time. Should probably be happy with that but want to get it down to a 5 over the next couple years and don't see that happening if I can't regain that extra 20-25 yards of the tee.

Anyone struggling with a similar issue? Have always heard the swing is the same for every club but it is not translating for me right now. Frequently hit my tee'd up 3-hybrid as far as my driver using this "new" swing but as I move up to longer clubs I can't keep the speed up. Is this a set-up issue? Will say that my driver swing (and swing in general) in the past tended towards being a little back footed but also felt like it allowed for "the room" to get the longer clubs through the ball.

I suck at golf, so take this with a grain of salt. This happens to me. Invariably it is a setup issue with my driver. I start getting in front of the ball instead of staying behind it. And invariably my driver swing gets steep and I really don't have "room" to swing.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I feel your pain. My driver routinely goes to crap on me. It usually happens about the time I start playing really well with my irons. Yesterday was a case in point. I started the first few holes ok and then suddenly it just felt terrible in my hands and I could not hit it at all. I think I start backing away from the ball in my case and the further back I creep the worse it feels. I took a few swings with no ball this morning standing a little closer and like magic everything felt great again. Thats me though and not really the same issue.

Newer golfer here, but one who takes it seriously and is always looking to improve.

Yes, when I lose confidence in my driver, it is just a downward spiral. My normal 200 yd fade degraded to a 170 slice over the course of the end of last year.

Broke it down with my pro, practiced with a purpose, and got my groove back and added yardage (in the sim). And my wedges started to suffer because I neglected them.

When I practice on my sim, I find taking more than 25-35 swings can be detrimental.

Something started to happen with my driver swing last year and the issue became cemented in the second half of the year. Good swings in previous years would see me carrying my driver in the 235-240 yard range. Right now what feels like a good swing and good contact is more like 210-215 yards in the air.

While I am aging (mid-50's) I still hit my mid irons and below a very respectable distance. 7-iron swing speeds on my skytrak and with the sim at the club are routinely in the upper 70's to 80-81 MPH. Driver swing speed has now dipped below 90 when the summer before it was in the 93-97 range.

Did spend a lot of time last year with the sim dialing in my irons, working on ball first contact, staying centered, "on top" of the ball and finishing on my left side. It worked pretty well and I got my index under 10 for the first time. Should probably be happy with that but want to get it down to a 5 over the next couple years and don't see that happening if I can't regain that extra 20-25 yards of the tee.

Anyone struggling with a similar issue? Have always heard the swing is the same for every club but it is not translating for me right now. Frequently hit my tee'd up 3-hybrid as far as my driver using this "new" swing but as I move up to longer clubs I can't keep the speed up. Is this a set-up issue? Will say that my driver swing (and swing in general) in the past tended towards being a little back footed but also felt like it allowed for "the room" to get the longer clubs through the ball.

The good news, is that you can get back some distance. If you are swinging 80mph with your 7 iron, your driver SS should be far beyond what it is now. But, finding the answer on an internet forum is going to be difficult. You need to get a trained eye on the issue to see where your power leaks are. If you don't have anyone local to get lessons from, there are some online instructors who can at least pinpoint where your biggest flaws are and give you drills to address them. Monte Scheinblum is a good one. I have had him check out my swing in the past.

Back