Sole Design and Bounce Explained

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Some of the questions we get a lot are about sole design and bounce. Should you play wider or more narrow soles? What is bounce? How does it impact feel and performance? So much goes into the design of the golf club, we wanted to break it down for everybody and explain what they should be looking for and how it translates from set to set.

[video=youtube;Ti2RP8K-msc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti2RP8K-msc[/video]

I learned a lot from that short video. I love that turf interaction is so complicated but is yet another reason to hit a set outdoors before buying - a guy like me can’t call the turf interaction based just on published numbers.

Another outstanding video! The Vrska brilliance continues to shine through and we are all the better for it.

Always awesome videos.

Some of the best tech videos on THP is when Vrska is in his element and explains club tech! He just taught me something again.

Some of the questions we get a lot are about sole design and bounce. Should you play wider or more narrow soles? What is bounce? How does it impact feel and performance? So much goes into the design of the golf club, we wanted to break it down for everybody and explain what they should be looking for and how it translates from set to set.

I am going to watch this video probably 10 more times this week to really pull out all of the info that Vrska just dropped. That was fantastic.

When he talks about decent turf interaction for an iron fitting, does that mean it would have to be outside?

• Admin
When he talks about decent turf interaction for an iron fitting, does that mean it would have to be outside?

I think in a perfect world yes, but as we spoke off camera, fittings indoors can provide the same level of information based on data.

Pretty sure I learned this lesson of don’t assume just because the club has the same bounce it will perform the same....with a recent wedge purchase..... some additional research needs to ensue, but old wedge will be going back in the bag.....

Pretty sure I learned this lesson of don’t assume just because the club has the same bounce it will perform the same....with a recent wedge purchase..... some additional research needs to ensue, but old wedge will be going back in the bag.....

Oh man that's not fun. Then again, I am unsure how many knew bounce measurements given were only taken in the middle.

this is very good stuff. the sole interaction is very interesting. also super helpful to know that the number on the spec sheet is such a small part of the whole story. there is no replacement for hands-on testing.

I love when Vrska is in his element and can just rattle off all that info. I like that he talks about just because there is a bounce number on one club doesn't mean it will play the same as the next wedge with that same bounce number. That was something I talked about in the NL wedges because they were higher bounce numbers than people might have been comfortable with, but they didn't play that way. Those who tried mine ended up agreeing with that. Just so much more in to it and Vrska does a nice job of throwing all that info out there.

Always something new to learn from Michael!! Great job!

Glad people are enjoying this Tech Talk Series.

Oh man that's not fun. Then again, I am unsure how many knew bounce measurements given were only taken in the middle.

Well.... count me as one of those.... now I know better! Lucky it wasn’t an expensive purchase!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m pretty sure I’m gonna watch this another dozen or so times, I meed to retain this info because it’s fantastic! Not something I’ve thought about a time with irons, but it makes a lot of sense. I know I’ve definitely seen a difference playing with the v-sole design so I have seen where a different sole can help.

I’m pretty sure I’m gonna watch this another dozen or so times, I meed to retain this info because it’s fantastic! Not something I’ve thought about a time with irons, but it makes a lot of sense. I know I’ve definitely seen a difference playing with the v-sole design so I have seen where a different sole can help.

Glad it has helped. We were getting a lot of questions as of late on wide soles vs thin soles, so figured we would get it all broken down for people.

this is very good stuff. the sole interaction is very interesting. also super helpful to know that the number on the spec sheet is such a small part of the whole story. there is no replacement for hands-on testing.

Great video!! What you stated about testing is even more important after viewing. Sucks for me as the market here is so small that there aren't hardly options to test and get fit properly.

Is it generally considered that higher handicappers are steeper and lower handicaps flatter? Because most real GI have a beefier sole.

Another (off topic this time) question, going back to Vrska's days at Adams, does he have a favorite set of irons? I remember them making a lot of well liked iron sets.

Never really considered bounce and the other factors with irons, just wedges really. I think I'm a sweeper/picker, so definitely a good idea as mentioned for a fitting to figure out what would work best for me

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Great video!! What you stated about testing is even more important after viewing. Sucks for me as the market here is so small that there aren't hardly options to test and get fit properly.

Is it generally considered that higher handicappers are steeper and lower handicaps flatter?

Not necessarily.
And we will be addressing more specs to give you in previews very soon.

More good stuff! Great to hear info on bounce and sole design for irons, I usually only hear these topics when discussing wedges.

Not necessarily.
And we will be addressing more specs to give you in previews very soon.

Love all this; can’t wait

Love all this; can’t wait

It’s going to be a fun ride. I like correct information and fun.

Back