Official Equipment Pondering Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my eye on a few inexpensive iron sets with graphite shafts on the 'bay. I want to try them out for a bit before I commit to a fully new set with them, looking at some XHots and X2Hots along with Speedblades (which if I get I keep promising myself I won't give up too soon again!).

This isn't very exciting, but I'm pondering new grips. I've been playing the blue Golf Pride Niion grips for the past couple of years and really liked them, but they were discontinued by Golf Pride and I can't find them anywhere. I was at Golfsmith the other day and didn't really like anything that Golf Pride has out right now with the exception of the VDR; I've played those grips in the past and they were fine, but I didn't love them. So now I'm thinking Lamkin, either the UTX or the REL Ace 3Gen. I played the original REL 3Gen a few years ago and thought they got a little slick in humid conditions, but I've heard the ACE technology has improved the tackiness of that grip? I know there are a bunch of UTX fans on here, and I held one of those on an MD3 wedge the other day and liked it. I just don't want something like the NDMC grip, it's just too harsh on my hands. So those that have played the ACE 3Gen and the UTX, give me your input.

I prefer the 3gen to the UTX overall - though the acid colored UTx on the MD3 wedges is the best version I've tried. I keep wanting to like grips with some cord in them, but a simple rubber grip seems to always be what I go back to.

When I talked to the Golf Pride folks about discontinuing the Niion, they suggested the VDR, so I'm not surprised you liked that one the best.

I definitely recommend the 3Gen Ace. Much improved over the original 3Gen in my opinion, far less prone to slippage in wet weather, really good tackiness.

Didn't care particularly for the Nions, remembered that after I just threw one onto my driver.

This isn't very exciting, but I'm pondering new grips. I've been playing the blue Golf Pride Niion grips for the past couple of years and really liked them, but they were discontinued by Golf Pride and I can't find them anywhere. I was at Golfsmith the other day and didn't really like anything that Golf Pride has out right now with the exception of the VDR; I've played those grips in the past and they were fine, but I didn't love them. So now I'm thinking Lamkin, either the UTX or the REL Ace 3Gen. I played the original REL 3Gen a few years ago and thought they got a little slick in humid conditions, but I've heard the ACE technology has improved the tackiness of that grip? I know there are a bunch of UTX fans on here, and I held one of those on an MD3 wedge the other day and liked it. I just don't want something like the NDMC grip, it's just too harsh on my hands. So those that have played the ACE 3Gen and the UTX, give me your input.

Easy answer, UTx. Why? They ARE made up of the ACE 3gen material.

They are NOT rough like the NDMC are, and its why I made the full time switch. I loved the cord of the NDMC but they ate me up, with the UTx the ACE 3Gen material is used in the grip as well, its not a straight corded grip, thanks to the layering and material tech involved in the design its the first corded grip I have used that also has give and softness to it. No, not super soft, but considerably more than an NDMC or the likes.

Deets on the design tech: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/lamkin-utx-review/

@Ary, I'm with James. I made the switch from NDMC to UTx last year and haven't looked back. The NDMCs didn't bother me at all, but I find that the UTx offer the same if not better grip regardless of conditions and are a little softer. I play UTx on everything but my putter currently, but I definitely have the mega paddle on a putter or two in the stable.

I'm currently pondering irons as I want to get fit again this year instead of buying what I think will fit me. Going to go in with an open mind, but I've got my eye on some CF16s. Also interested in trying the Wilson and Cobra offerings. Hopefully I'll get to hit all of that and more, but an iron purchase is imminent for this guy. Perhaps even before Club Clash.

Easy answer, UTx. Why? They ARE made up of the ACE 3gen material.

They are NOT rough like the NDMC are, and its why I made the full time switch. I loved the cord of the NDMC but they ate me up, with the UTx the ACE 3Gen material is used in the grip as well, its not a straight corded grip, thanks to the layering and material tech involved in the design its the first corded grip I have used that also has give and softness to it. No, not super soft, but considerably more than an NDMC or the likes.

Deets on the design tech: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/lamkin-utx-review/

I need to try a "real" set of UTx. The ones that came on the Srixon 4W feel more "cordy" to me and aren't comfortable without a glove, but the MD3 grip feels great.

I need to try a "real" set of UTx. The ones that came on the Srixon 4W feel more "cordy" to me and aren't comfortable without a glove, but the MD3 grip feels great.

FWIW, I like the UTx wraps on my FWs & Driver. Standard UTx on everything else. You do feel the cords a little more in the standards, IMO, but still nowhere near harsh.

Check out Golfer's Edge Online....I just paid $79 for 13 midsize UTx grips

Last edited:
There's some graphite X2Hots on CPO that are almost a steal with their warehouse sale. I don't know how long I'll be able to hold out here guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm thinking about picking up a couple of wedges. I've found the Wilson FG Tour wedge for $60 but I haven't hit them before. Good deal or not great?

HZRDUS anyone?

My debate still continues..

With this Hogan event coming up I can't get the PTX irons out of my thoughts. I love the way they look. Can't wait to actually hit one!

The Ping G 17* hybrid. I'm seriously looking at this club to see if it can knock out my XCG3. The XCG3 has been my go to club for many years now. More distance off the tee and maybe more forgiveness is really the only thing I'm looking for. It's essentially my 3 wood so it's all about distance with this club. My other 2 hybrids are about hitting certain numbers, but this one is off the tee and going for it in two on par 5's.

It's simply a matter of hoarding at this point. Oh yeah.
Share the wealth man! haha

I need to find one and try it. looking like I'll have to drive some distance to try one though.

I have the yellow I need to get it cut down and tipped... Maybe I'll do it when I get back to Dallas

Still pondering XR16 FW's. I need to pull the trigger.

Iron fitting scheduled for the week after I return from California. Golfdom in NoVA is a Callaway Performance Center as well so should be pretty awesome!

Sensicore

I'm thinking about picking up a couple of wedges. I've found the Wilson FG Tour wedge for $60 but I haven't hit them before. Good deal or not great?

Send me a pm. I have a 56 I'm not using and it's yours if you want it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back