Golf Attire to Prevent Skin Cancer - Is enough being Done?

ProZoneGolf

Clubmaker/Fitter
Reaction score
Handicap
Lets do better than sunblock creams in this post...like clothing hat prevention.

The golf cap is minimal, shorts expose the legs, short sleeve shirts expose the arms.
Golf long term over 20-30years with high sun exposure can destroy your skin to old wrinkled leather with high chance of skin cancers.
I see young kids at golf wearing no hats sometimes. Is it time for many to wear a large straw hat?... arm and leg stockings? ...your thoughts of golf fashion related to long term sun exposure.

Should more PGA Tour players wear better sun prevention clothing / larger hats to help change the golf fashion industry to be more skin cancer aware?

My guess is we see more of that down the line after someone (or a number of folks) get skin cancer at a young age. At the amount those guys are playing for, they're going to wear what's comfortable for them. I know that I probably should wear a wide brim hat, at least when I'm playing in parts of the country that get more sun, but I'm not the biggest fan.

I know spivey is a big proponent of hte bucket hat to save your ears.

~Rock

I know spivey is a big proponent of hte bucket hat to save your ears.

~Rock

He also wears compression sleeves to cover his arms.

I'm always wearing a hat but I'm in shorts and short sleeves as much as possible for the comfort. I'll use sunscreen on face when it's clear skies and above 20*c but that's about it. Not smart but it's something.

I know I am guilty of going out and getting burned I need to be better about protecting my skin when I am out on full sun exposure days.

I've started wearing a wide brim hat, I had some skin cancer removed from my ear last summer. Doc said once you get it, your odds go up on getting it again.

its an interesting thread, especially following the one where people didn't want to allow golfers to wear compression tights under shirts!

I always use spf 70+ sunscreen, wear a hat (not the bucket kind though) and most often than nove wear long sleves for golf. sunburns and skin cancer can be avoided, lets be careful

It's something I've definitely thought about. I always sunscreen up and wear a hat, but I've thought about the UA HeatGear or the new Nike compression tops and tights. I'd kinda like to try the tights on a warmer day under shorts and see how well it breathes. The look is kind of growing on me, so long as the tights aren't like Volt or something haha

I wear a bucket hat. Sleeves (which are much more convenient than sunblock for protection). Suntan lotion on my legs (although I will be checking out tights). I wear pants as long as feasable in the spring and fall. Summer in AZ is tough for pants, but there are some really good lightweight material in light colors.

I see many golfers in the desert wearing larger hats than I wear, more sleeves, and guys lathered up in sunscreen. I also see guys (and women) whose skin looks worse than a crocodile.

Protection is needed. Melanoma is a deadly skin cancer, and it does not go away - I have seen first hand what happens when skin cancer spreads through the body, and it is not pretty.

I was a lifeguard thru high school and into college, never wore sunscreen until my late 20's, and I am hoping that I have a future without skin cancer. I hope to live for 30+ more years, and keep playing golf. I figure protecting myself now will help keep this particular cancer at bay.

Golfers Skin is the best sunscreen, besides protection, it dwill not yellow your shirt collar. Usually available at most Pro Shops.

I have had skin cancer, and on a every 3 month maintenance schedule ... I wear a wide brim hat and compression sleeves.

My damage was done at the beach and lakes as a young man ...

I have had skin cancer, and on a every 3 month maintenance schedule ... I wear a wide brim hat and compression sleeves.

My damage was done at the beach and lakes as a young ma
n ...

Therein lies the rub. It takes time for cancer to develop, and most damage was done years ago.

But can you prevent any future outbreaks by protecting yourself today? I think so.

In have been wearing sleeves more often, been pondering the bucket hat and will definitely be looking into,the compression pants from nike.

i use sunblock more now that anytime in the past and I started using an umbrella when I walk...need to look into the uv blocking umbrella

In Florida summers I wear a large straw hat, the brim covers my neck, air breathes through it very nicely! The shade it offers is easier on my eyes...kinda like some one dimmed the lights. Putting I pull the brim down both sides to get super shade from glare and can read putts better...please try one that fits snug. There are many nice designs out there.
I try to wear pants below 80 deg, and long sleeves when I can

Last edited:
This is something that I'm not as good at doing as I should be especially with my skin. I think I could wear pants for most of the golf season with how light some of the materials are. Compression sleeves I've never looked into but might give them a shot this year.

With all the great sunscreen options out there today, it is fast and easy to be protected. I do my face and ears and at times my arms. That is good enough for me. I work outdoors, sometimes for long hours each day and I wouldn't go without sunscreen.

I'm looking to add some of the UV protection sleeves, not sure that I'll go the compression route, I've seen several types of both compression, and just UV blocking. I'm also thinking I'll add more pants to my wardrobe.

I had basil cell carcinoma removed from my leg in september and the physician says the one episode has doubled my risk of getting it again and for 2016 i purchased uv protective teeshirts that have long sleeves which i will be wearing from this point going forward along with a bucket hat , he also reccomended long pants but not sure about that and as for sunscreen .. i never liked it and rarely wore it and not sure that will change

All the products are their and available but with people I know up here we are not taking full advantage of them.

I was thinking of giving the Nike compression sleeves a go this year. I don't typically wear sunglasses but I have also picked up some Oakley sunglasses with prizm golf lenses....soley for the reason of wanting to protect my eyes as well. On another note I have seen people in my area use an umbrella on their push carts. A quick search revealed that there are spf rated golf umbrellas. Anyone else see that? Thoughts on using an umbrella on a sunny day?

I need to do a better job than I do. I am fair-skinned and spent ALOT of time in the sun growing up. If I wasn't on the boat with the family I was playing outside with friends. I need to get into the habit of applying sunscreen whenever I'm golfing, but I just hate the way sunscreen makes you feel soo much.

I need to do a better job than I do. I am fair-skinned and spent ALOT of time in the sun growing up. If I wasn't on the boat with the family I was playing outside with friends. I need to get into the habit of applying sunscreen whenever I'm golfing, but I just hate the way sunscreen makes you feel soo much.

I'm the exact same way. I mean exactly and I have watched friends and family run into issues and I still haven't changed. It's one of my goals for this year.

I load up on sunscreen, always wear a hat & sunglasses.
When it's 105, wearing long sleeves & long pants just ain't right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the times I use sunscreen I have been using golfer skin. It's non greasy and I have reapplied during the round with no issues with my grip.

Back