Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Callaway XR (2015 model) 10.5 degree - Project X 6.0

Votes: 17 89.5%

• Total voters

AUWU11

Reaction score
Handicap
7.2 GHIN
I currently play a Titleist 913 D3 10.5 degree with a Diamana Blue 62S. I have the opportunity to purchase a Callaway XR 10.5 degree (2015 model) with a Project X 6.0 for a very affordable price. Both clubs are in very similar condition - both used but well kept and no damage. Which of the two would you take? And why?

Last edited:
Really different clubs.
The XR is going to be a bit faster, and more forgiving laterally.
The 913D3 is not. I kid, the 913 D3 is going to launch lower, with a flatter flight.

yeah for me this one is an easy call. XR is the way to go. Now if you could get to the XR16, that would be even better IMO.

yeah for me this one is an easy call. XR is the way to go. Now if you could get to the XR16, that would be even better IMO.

This x1000

Really different clubs.
The XR is going to be a bit faster, and more forgiving laterally.
The 913D3 is not. I kid, the 913 D3 is going to launch lower, with a flatter flight.

Thanks for the input, JB. I really like the weight and traditional pear-shape of the Titleist. But when I struggle anywhere, it's usually accuracy off the tee. Your comment about the XR having more forgiveness laterally is definitely intriguing. Thanks again!

I absolutely hated the original XR. Now the XR16 is a completely different animal. I thought that driver was beyond good.

I absolutely hated the original XR. Now the XR16 is a completely different animal. I thought that driver was beyond good.

What did you hate about it?

In regards to the XR... researching shaft weight, and the stock shaft is only 50 grams as far as I can tell. Seems awfully light. To anyone that's swung this club before - is there more weight in the head to balance it out? Or is this a super light whippy-type of driver?

I have the XR 15 and the XR 16 and the XR16 for me is much better in feel, weight, forgiveness. The XR 15 isn't bad by any means but the 16 is better for sure. The XR 15 feels heavier than the 16 for me but don't have the clubs in front so cannot comment on the weight of shaft.

I went to my local shop and hit the XR16. To my suprise, I wasn't a big fan of it. I also hit the GBB Epic. I really liked this one. Will most likely start shopping around for a good deal on one.

in testing drivers of that era, I found the XR did not give me great results. Keep in mind i am a high handicapper though. The Great Big Bertha gave me the most consistent results. I did not test the Titleist drivers.

The XR was the superior driver in both forgiveness and distance from what I remember. Easy choice for me.

This is correct my my recollection!

In regards to the XR... researching shaft weight, and the stock shaft is only 50 grams as far as I can tell. Seems awfully light. To anyone that's swung this club before - is there more weight in the head to balance it out? Or is this a super light whippy-type of driver?

The bolded part above is a whole different conversation re: 50g being "awfully" light. I've never swung that exact shaft, but from my experience, I wouldn't think the PX 6.0 could be included in the "whippy" category.

Back