Would love to hear some feedback on these swings

giorgiokaan

Reaction score
Handicap

Some context: This is my second training session in the last week. It was the first time practicing a more neutral grip (I have a fairly strong grip usually). These two shots were about 180 yards and dead straight with my 7i, even though the feel is really weird (switching to a weaker grip makes me feel like I am closed at impact). I have been playing once every couple months for the past 3 years due to university but I am just getting back into golf.

Also I know my stance is open, I tend to do that subconsciously anyways but I the fact that I felt like my clubface was closed kind of made me set up for a high fade instinctively.

Would love to hear what you guys think.

Edit: forgot to say I was swinging quite relaxed as I wanted to get the new grip ingrained instead of trying to kill the ball.

Last edited:
I think you have an awesome swing!

I appreciate it man. Feels good to hear that as I was really bummed about not playing for a while and being supercompetitive I was terrified I would suck once I came back to the sport.

Nice swing, gumbadi! My family lives an hour from Milan in Oggono, Italy. I get there every other year. THP across the globe.

Some context: This is my second training session in the last week. It was the first time practicing a more neutral grip (I have a fairly strong grip usually). These two shots were about 180 yards and dead straight with my 7i, even though the feel is really weird (switching to a weaker grip makes me feel like I am closed at impact). I have been playing once every couple months for the past 3 years due to university but I am just getting back into golf.

Also I know my stance is open, I tend to do that subconsciously anyways but I the fact that I felt like my clubface was closed kind of made me set up for a high fade instinctively.

Edit: forgot to say I was swinging quite relaxed as I wanted to get the new grip ingrained instead of trying to kill the ball.

Learning fundamentally sound grip technique, and rehearsing same, is always a good idea. So, keep doing that.
Regarding the two videos you posted, take a look at your head position(throughout the swing) and you will notice significant movement (both vertically and laterally). For day-to-way, week-to-week, month-to-month ball striking consistency you are going to need to start rotating your body around a more stable head position.
For a start, next time you are at the range, be aware of where your head is when you impact the ball. I believe you will find that your head tends to be at the ball or in front of the ball, which is not good.
Ideally, at address the head should be slightly behind behind the ball and at impact the head should be in that same position.

Looks like a good swing to me. Are there a few quirks? Of course. But if you're hitting a 7 iron 180 yards and straight, I don't think you've got anything to worry about.

What is your index/average score? Is iron striking your downfall?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I will trade you mine for yours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Learning fundamentally sound grip technique, and rehearsing same, is always a good idea. So, keep doing that.
Regarding the two videos you posted, take a look at your head position(throughout the swing) and you will notice significant movement (both vertically and laterally). For day-to-way, week-to-week, month-to-month ball striking consistency you are going to need to start rotating your body around a more stable head position.
For a start, next time you are at the range, be aware of where your head is when you impact the ball. I believe you will find that your head tends to be at the ball or in front of the ball, which is not good.
Ideally, at address the head should be slightly behind behind the ball and at impact the head should be in that same position.

I had my first lesson in ages yesterday and we worked exactly on what you said. We moved the ball forwards in my stance and worked on clearing my left shoulder after impact so that I am not leaning back rather than rotating through.

Looks like a good swing to me. Are there a few quirks? Of course. But if you're hitting a 7 iron 180 yards and straight, I don't think you've got anything to worry about.

What is your index/average score? Is iron striking your downfall?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last time I had a handicap it was about 9, however after talking to my coach this weekend he said I should be playing off of 2-3 hcp.

I had my first lesson in ages yesterday and we worked exactly on what you said. We moved the ball forwards in my stance and worked on clearing my left shoulder after impact so that I am not leaning back rather than rotating through.

If you do not have one already. I recommend purchasing a copy of Jack Nicklaus' best selling book "Golf My Way". In the book Jack writes that when he was a youngster his instructor would have an assistant hold Jack's head while Jack made thousands of swings. The purpose of this was to be sure Jack rotated his body around a steady-stable head. Nicklaus used that fundamental throughout his entire career.

Here is a video of Jack Nicklaus swinging and talking about his "steady head". :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npm0lUbwDo0

Back