Flight Scope Data - what does it really tell you?

T2GRN18

Reaction score
Handicap
Yesterday I had the opportunity to hop on the flight scope during a TaylorMade demo day. I'm one of those guys that if I hit something, I generally can tell if it works for me based on ball flight. Which I'm sure most of are can do. But the rep emailed me the flight scope data. I checked it out, and was pretty much overwhelmed by all the data. So I thought maybe this is a good opportunity to share what was given to me, open up some discussion, and hopefully learn from the THP body what all this data means. My hope is that if there are other members out there that can learn from it the we're all a little better off.

02f1a1ccb9d783736545daa2dc1bc9d5.jpg

Here are the particulars of what was being hit, and under what conditions.

TaylorMade M1 3 wood. Set at 15* with a Speeder 757 X stiff shaft. Restrictive flight balls, off the deck.

You can see that the fitter adjusted the flight scope to make up for the range conditions with the software.

But the rest of the information is all stuff I've heard before, but how do I really know if it's optimal for me and my swing? What are the base line numbers people should be looking for?

I don't know much, but if you hit a 3w off the deck with range balls at those numbers you must be doing all right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In terms of finding what's optimal, you could use the flightscope optimizer to tweak some of those numbers to see what improves/doesn't - https://flightscope.com/products/trajectory-optimizer/ - Tough to tell w/ range balls and the software adjustments, but that spin seems low - you've got no chance staying on the green if you were hitting into it with that club, by those numbers.

But in terms of data, I'm trying to take the strategy going forward that I'm going to play clubs I'm fit for, and let the guy running the device tell me what's best. I took stock of the clubs I'd bought and sold, and the only ones that stayed in the bag for multiple seasons were the ones I got fit for.

First thing I saw was the carry to total distance. Spin seems low.

First thing I saw was the carry to total distance. Spin seems low.

When I asked the fitter (who's job is to sell clubs) what he thought of those soon numbers he said it was ideal. With the M2 head I was seeing ballooning and 3500 rpm. Which is really part of the reason I started this thread. Cause at price of these clubs I'd like to try to make a better informed purchase.

I think the launch monitors are mainly useful to confirm whatever you are seeing with the ball flight and to be able to fine tune a club with some small change parameters. Being able to swap a shaft, change the loft, and move some weighting around and personally see the launch, spin, and carry changes is really reassuring to a mental midget like me. I find that if I'm not fit for a club I will blame the club for poor shots and bad rounds. Once fit for it I can't go down that road.

I think that the way LMs and Sims are used these days as the end all be all in a big box store is wrong, but they don't really have another choice. Stores just can't afford to have massive outdoor ranges and full LM setups.

With regards to those numbers specifically, they are great if you're looking for an alternative tee club but you'd struggle to hold a green with that lower launch and spin. If that's something you're looking for you'd want more loft first and then maybe a different (softer) shaft to dial it in.

How does it compare to your regular three wood. That baseline should first, tell you if the numbers are real and second how the new club feels compared to your current gamer.

By the way, I would be thrilled to carry my 3 wood 238.6 and dead straight!! Jealous is me!!

When I asked the fitter (who's job is to sell clubs) what he thought of those soon numbers he said it was ideal. With the M2 head I was seeing ballooning and 3500 rpm. Which is really part of the reason I started this thread. Cause at price of these clubs I'd like to try to make a better informed purchase.

Well, to his credit, look at that total distance. Why play driver? Buy a few of these and always be in the fairway, amirite?

I think a little different profile shaft would really do wonders. A true ML/MS shaft I think would do it. Those aren't bad numbers, I just think that they could be a bit safer. For lack of a better word.

I've had the opportunity to use Trackman, not sure I've been on flightscope yet, many times and still the numbers seem to stagger me.

I guess for me I look mostly at carry distances, spin, launch angle and decent angle as determining factors of how well a club fits me and what I'm looking for. All the rest is great to have and if you really want to get in depth it's there but I think it's not always necessary.

Those numbers are fantastic if you like long straight bombs. Haha. Maybe if you are looking to hit it on long par 5s and roll it up it would be great as well.

But this thread isn't about wether this club will hold a green, or if it's a better club off the Tee. I was hopeful that the discussion would be more about the different parameters that are on the software, what are the thresholds for good or not so good.

Well then the smash factor looks a little low. It's my understand that smash factor is a ratio of swing speed to ball speed. With the max being 1.5. It would appear the ball wasn't hit in the center of the club face so there is room for improvement!!

Based on what I know and have learned, the numbers line up and there isn't anything that would be a concern for me. Spin is the only thing that stands out, because like others said, if you are attacking greens with this club getting it to stick might be tough. A quick fix is finding a shaft that can help with the spin, but at the end of the day it's what you are going to use this club for. Off the tee the spin seems great because you have the carry distance and it will run out for you.

Solids numbers IMO & a club that looks to be a great option for your bag.

The so called optimum launch for a driver at this swing speed would be in the 13-14 degree range so isn't a 12.6 degree launch with a 3 wood a little low. I would have expected it in the 15-16 degree range. I agree there are better (softer tipped) shafts out there for your swing.

Does hitting the ball off the deck have any effect on launch angles? I don't know.

But this thread isn't about wether this club will hold a green, or if it's a better club off the Tee. I was hopeful that the discussion would be more about the different parameters that are on the software, what are the thresholds for good or not so good.
Depends on what you want the club to do. If you're trying to maximize it's distance or its carry. Etc. I know the flight scopes I have been on also show impact data. Path, AoA, and a slew of other numbers. Those aren't the sexy numbers, but they explain the sexy numbers

Does hitting the ball off the deck have any effect on launch angles? I don't know.

Fair point but with the spin numbers indicated I think the ball needs to get up into the air more. As blugold said the spin is really low for the loft of a 3 wood. It should yield even more carry that way.

Hey Kev, it does in that the ability to hit UP on the ball is radically reduced (hence why more shallow fairway faces typically make it easier to elevate a fairway metal off the deck, but then you give up something on the other side when hitting it off the tee).

I think the topic has been take a different way than Kevin intended. He wasn't looking for what fits him, just a general understanding of what each part means in relation to performance.

Kev, with a fairway wood you typically do want more launch and spin as it aids with elevation in an already higher lofted club. Lower launch and spin will undoubtedly equate to more roll but knowing the areas you play in the NE it won't translate well on the course IMO and you will be much closer to the carry # than the total #. You mentioned the M2 and 3500, I'd like to see the rest of those numbers because spin wise that honestly isn't terrible, but its also what that club (M2) is meant to do compared to the M1 as its goal is elevating the ball with the CG more back and as such you need more launch and spin compared to the M1.

With the fitters at these things a lot of times you have to also keep in mind they know that distance sells for them, so their simple formula is low spin and lower launch will equate to roll for days, its an easier path to chase (IMO) than trying to maximize the LA and spin #'s to get the maximized carry #'s.

For me, I look at those #'s and it tells me more launch and more spin would unlock a beastly club that would be much more versatile and TRAVEL place to place as carry never lies. Sure, the range balls bring some issues in to the equation but the benefit to Flightscope is that you CAN adjust for that and it keeps scary good accuracy when done.

I know this is bordering on a ramble, so what specifically are you curious about. I'm happy to help you there however I can.

From what I know the numbers seem ok for a tee option. Off the deck I would imagine a little more spin would be preferred to eliminate some of the roll out.

See James knows way more than me. Haha. I would listen to him as that's exactly what I think you are looking for from this thread.

If Canadan sees this I'm sure he can help you out as well. Both guys are super knowledgeable about these types of things.

Optimum numbers will vary from player to player due to swing speed, AoA, club path.

There are multiple charts that give optimal numbers based off of club and SS.

Based on your numbers I'm gonna say your path is slightly in to out, face near square to target and a shallow attack angle.

To me there's a difference between using a LM for fitting and lessons. For fitting your using it to find the club head and head/shaft combo that will produce the best results. For lesson teaching you/instructor are using the numbers to make changes to your swing that will produce as effective of a swing as you can.

As for your data I think the spin is low, launch is low, smash is not bad considering its off the deck but it should be in the mid 1.4's. Getting your LA up, spin up and smash up will increase your carry and ball speed. I'd be interested to see your numbers from the other club that spun at 3500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Kev, it does in that the ability to hit UP on the ball is radically reduced (hence why more shallow fairway faces typically make it easier to elevate a fairway metal off the deck, but then you give up something on the other side when hitting it off the tee).

I think the topic has been take a different way than Kevin intended. He wasn't looking for what fits him, just a general understanding of what each part means in relation to performance.

Kev, with a fairway wood you typically do want more launch and spin as it aids with elevation in an already higher lofted club. Lower launch and spin will undoubtedly equate to more roll but knowing the areas you play in the NE it won't translate well on the course IMO and you will be much closer to the carry # than the total #. You mentioned the M2 and 3500, I'd like to see the rest of those numbers because spin wise that honestly isn't terrible, but its also what that club (M2) is meant to do compared to the M1 as its goal is elevating the ball with the CG more back and as such you need more launch and spin compared to the M1.

With the fitters at these things a lot of times you have to also keep in mind they know that distance sells for them, so their simple formula is low spin and lower launch will equate to roll for days, its an easier path to chase (IMO) than trying to maximize the LA and spin #'s to get the maximized carry #'s.

For me, I look at those #'s and it tells me more launch and more spin would unlock a beastly club that would be much more versatile and TRAVEL place to place as carry never lies. Sure, the range balls bring some issues in to the equation but the benefit to Flightscope is that you CAN adjust for that and it keeps scary good accuracy when done.

I know this is bordering on a ramble, so what specifically are you curious about. I'm happy to help you there however I can.

Since you have a flightscope can you put on your clubfitter hat for a minute and describe how you would adjust the FS software to account for the limited flight balls, in order to best approximate what would happen with "real" balls?

You tend to ramble well, so don't feel you have to be concise :D

Since you have a flightscope can you put on your clubfitter hat for a minute and describe how you would adjust the FS software to account for the limited flight balls, in order to best approximate what would happen with "real" balls?

You tend to ramble well, so don't feel you have to be concise :D

I do not use a flightscope for my reviews, I do use a true launch monitor, but its not a FS. Sorry dude.

JB might be able to help you here though.

I do not use a flightscope for my reviews, I do use a true launch monitor, but its not a FS. Sorry dude.

JB might be able to help you here though.

My mistake!

The only numbers I really concern myself with are launch angle and spin.

The rest of the numbers I either don't really believe our think they hold much value to a typical amateur golfer

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Back