What course that no longer exists do you wish you could play one more time?

cyoung2ty

Reaction score
Handicap
I've got a golf pencil display shelf on the wall in my office. Today, I closed the door to the closet and a few of the pencils were dislodged by the vibrations and fell to the floor. One of them was to a course I only got to play 4 times before it closed down and I wish, now that my game is slightly different, that I could get one more go at it.

So... what course that's closed down do you wish you could get one more shot at?

Mine is a course called Bear Brook located in Fredon Township, NJ. I lived about 40 minutes from the course but never really made it over there all that often. There were other courses in the area that were either closer, more affordable or more appealing to me. The few times I did get out there, though... it was an enjoyable course.

The opening hole was one of my favorite opening holes ever and the closing hole was a perfect way to end the round. Thing was, the course absolutely beat me up each time I played it (until my final round). I shot 116, 122, 109 and then the last time I played it, I posted a 91. Just 3 days later, I broke 90 for the first time ever.

The next year, the course shut down and I moved to South Carolina 2 years later. Last I heard, it's become a horse farm. Now that I'm capable of shooting in the upper 70's... I'd love one more shot at the course.

Roddy Ranch Golf Club, Antioch, California.

There was a 9 hole course here in town where I grew up playing putt putt and then played the 9 holes and driving range once I learned how to play, was bought out and developed, still sad when I drive by that corner.

Purely for nostalgia's sake, as I was probably 12 or 13 the last time I played there, but Brushy Fork Golf Course in Newark, OH would be my pick. I played there with my grandpa and aunt a decent amount growing up. It wasn't a great course or anything, but I always enjoyed being out there with them.

Purely for nostalgia's sake, as I was probably 12 or 13 the last time I played there, but Brushy Fork Golf Course in Newark, OH would be my pick. I played there with my grandpa and aunt a decent amount growing up. It wasn't a great course or anything, but I always enjoyed being out there with them.

Cool !

Thunder Hill, Madison, Ohio.

Thunder Hill, Madison, Ohio.

I live in California but about 35 years ago I visited a friend who lived in Ashtabula and we played a few rounds at Thunder Hill. I think the course was only four or five years old at that time and its owner/builder/designer lived at the property. Back then I think the course record was 75 and held by the course's original head pro.

I wish I could play Pecan Valley in San Antonio again. I only got to play it one time, back in the 80s. Going in, I knew Arnie had missed his best chance at achieving a career grand slam there. Julius Boros beat Arnie (and Bob Charles) by a stroke in the 68 PGA Championship. I was lucky enough to share that round in a foursome with a member who was on the Pecan Valley Pro staff back then. He blessed us with first hand accounts and history of what went on that weekend in great detail. Didn't know the pre tourney favorite (Jack) missed the cut, or that everyone, including Boros scored over par, for instance. I kind of remember the course being in GREAT shape and pretty challenging but fair. But really the things I most remember about it are spots/shots he showed us that proved crucial to the results. He even stuck a tee in 18 green and let us each putt to it to replicate the 7-8 footer Arnie needed to get into a playoff. Such a fun interesting day. I don't know when or why they closed that course?

Sundance Golf Course in North Spokane, Washington.

I grew up learning to play on that course. They closed it last year to bull doze and build homes on.

Partridge Creek, Mount Clemens, MI.

I'm sure it's still open, but I played my first holes at Forest Oaks CC in Greensboro, NC when I was about 9 years old. I'd love to go back and play it as an adult after watching it on TV when they played the GGO there for many years after we moved.

I have a lot of nostalgia for old courses I played in Florida too, but I'm not sure if any of them ever closed down.

Atascocita closed for a few years in Humble,TX but we were all very happy to see it open again. Lots of great memories from the 80's there!

The Links at Shirley in NY, on Long Island.

Great track, always in great condition when I played it (4-5 times/yr), just never generated the necessary income to survive. Heard the owner lost millions.

I'm sure it's still open, but I played my first holes at Forest Oaks CC in Greensboro, NC when I was about 9 years old. I'd love to go back and play it as an adult after watching it on TV when they played the GGO there for many years after we moved.

I have a lot of nostalgia for old courses I played in Florida too, but I'm not sure if any of them ever closed down.

Atascocita closed for a few years in Humble,TX but we were all very happy to see it open again. Lots of great memories from the 80's there!

Yes Forest Oaks is still open. I try to play there at least once a year. They keep it in pretty good shape but I’m sure nothing like it used to be back in the days of the GGO. It’s still a good test.

Fun fact: the last player to win the tournament when it was played at Forest Oaks was Brandt Snedeker. He has now won the Greensboro tour stop at both courses with last year’s Wyndham victory.

Oak Run

I’d love another round at Wicked Stick in Myrtle Beach. It was a John Daly design and was fun and challenging. There were a couple of holes out there that had my number every time I played. They built houses there and an Aldi where the clubhouse was.

Malibu country club is the only club I've played that I know has closed. I do miss it dearly. Especially as where I am now it's be a quick drive.

Posted by my thumbs.

Yes Forest Oaks is still open. I try to play there at least once a year. They keep it in pretty good shape but I’m sure nothing like it used to be back in the days of the GGO. It’s still a good test.

Fun fact: the last player to win the tournament when it was played at Forest Oaks was Brandt Snedeker. He has now won the Greensboro tour stop at both courses with last year’s Wyndham victory.

Ha - thanks for sharing! I still remember some of the holes, including a big 90-degree dogleg with lots of water. My childhood buddy lived right on that green, but we never played that side. My dad would take me out for a few holes on the side we lived on. We lived on a big par-5 as I recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plum Tree National which was in Harvard Illinois. Closed down after the dad passed away. Kids sold it off and now it's an event center.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

No doubt it would be Hudson C.C. In Hudson Wisconsin. I got my start there in 1978 and played about 1600 rounds there in my teens and 20’s. I honed my short game skills on that practice area/green and now it’s just a big parking lot with a Target.

The greens were amazing and I have so many great memories from that course.

The Links at Shirley in NY, on Long Island.

Great track, always in great condition when I played it (4-5 times/yr), just never generated the necessary income to survive. Heard the owner lost millions.

Played there the first season it opened. It was a decent track, but conditions weren’t as it seemed. It looked great, but they opened too early without letting fairways ‘condition’ in correctly. If I remember right, they sodded instead of seeding. They were way too fragile that first year. Any decent swing would strip through down to the sandy layer and rip the adjoining sod. It did get better over the next couple of years.
They also charged WAY to much trying to make it a ‘country club’ experience. We would only play it if we could get really good discounted rates.

Played there the first season it opened. It was a decent track, but conditions weren’t as it seemed. It looked great, but they opened too early without letting fairways ‘condition’ in correctly. If I remember right, they sodded instead of seeding. They were way too fragile that first year. Any decent swing would strip through down to the sandy layer and rip the adjoining sod. It did get better over the next couple of years.
They also charged WAY to much trying to make it a ‘country club’ experience. We would only play it if we could get really good discounted rates.

A deeper local loss at a more popular place, I'd heard was the nearby Tallgrass. I really liked Tallgrass too, sad to hear it closed.

Sugar Creek in Hinton, OK played it once and it was a good course. Front 9 used to be a wheat field so it was good and open, the back 9 was a little canyon. It closed a couple of years ago, the clubhouse is now a mortuary.

A deeper local loss at a more popular place, I'd heard was the nearby Tallgrass. I really liked Tallgrass too, sad to hear it closed.

I believe they turned it into a Solar Energy Farm. So I guess they’re rolling in profits now.

Monastery course in Cedar Lake In. Starter course cut out of cornfields. Some quirky holes. A par 3 with a tree growing in the center of the green. Would love to see how today’s driver would be on some of those holes.

Back