Club Slamming on Green

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Sergio Garcia is getting some interesting press after what he did to get DQed this past weekend.

My question is, what would you say if you were in a foursome and watched someone smash the green with their putter once (or multiple times)?

Let's assume the playing partner is a regular, not a stranger.

Lotta F words thrown his way that's for sure

Once, I would be like damn and kinda keep it to myself. I would let him walk off first then try and fix the damage as best as possible if he hasn't already done it.

Twice, stop the show boys. Its time to have a talk.

True Story.

Had a friend, who I still speak with, hit a bad wedge shot from like 30-40 yards out and he launched his wedge towards the green and the clubhead stuck in the green with the club sticking straight up. He yanked out the club and took out a chunk and a half of green.

I just stayed quiet. Worst tantrum I've ever seen. Haven't played golf with him since despite being asked 4 or 5 times and I always came up with an excuse, he got the hint.

I would tell them they better fix the green or I’m going to do the same thing to them. No place for this in golf or anywhere.

I remember about 5 years ago my brother and I were playing a round together and in frustration he flipped his putter into the air, realized this was a terrible mistake as the putter was in mid air, tried catching it - and it came down and damaged the green. We felt so bad we went straight to the pro shop and offered to pay or help with repairs. They were just astounded that we - A) admitted to it and B) actually wanted to help make it right.

I just can't imagine getting to a point where I would knowingly do something that shows a complete disregard for the tournament and for the people that play along side you. The video of him in the bunker is just flat out embarrassing and not the first time I've heard of him doing this.

If I noticed someone do it once I'd give them the benefit of the doubt - but multiple times - I'm calling you out for it.

I’d say something to them. Let them know that I don’t want to be associated with that type of behavior. Or at least a “dude not cool, cmon man”. I’d feel partially responsible if I didn’t say something, especially if they did it again.

I'd just tell him stop being a Richard but I certainly wouldn't lose my mind and state that i'd never play with him ever again.

I would chew them out and likely not play with them again. Simply not a person I want to associate with.

I played with a guy a few years ago, friend of a friend. We were at my home course, this guy was throwing clubs, slamming them in the turf after almost every shot. Around the 3rd hole, he missed a putt and slammed the putter in the green, tearing it up pretty good. I calmly walked over and told him if does it one more time I was going to beat his ass, he didn't throw another club the rest of the round. Never did play with him again.

Im guilty of having done this.

Used to play a local municipal course that is very convenient for a 9 hole lunch break. The course is not maintained well. By that I mean most of the time I played there, I was forced to wait on multiple holes for maintenance to finish. After many frustrating experiences there, I finally hit my breaking point.

I had played a stellar 8 holes (stellar by my standards anyways) and headed to the 9th hole well on track to break 50. The 9th hole entire fairway was nothing but 2" of sand. Hit a perfect drive right in the middle of the fair way and then proceeded to hit 7 more shot through the giant sand pit to get on the green. Finally get on and was so frustrated I swung my putter and took a big chunk right next to the cup.

I immediately left the course and did not return for about 6 months. On my return, I found myself in similar circumstances on track for a GREAT 9 hole round, only to be held up again by maintenance on holes 4,5,6 and then behind the worlds slowest twosome of women who stood around gabbing instead of playing. on the 8th hole, I hit a horrible drive and then chunked two 4 irons in a row. I threw my 4 iron, breaking it in two and walked off the course in anger.

I have not returned to that course, nor have I ever allowed myself to become that angry over golf again. I keep my broken 4 iron in the trunk as a reminder to check my anger at the door.

if they didn't bother to repair the green, i would go do it without saying anything. definitely passive aggressive, but hopefully they would see it and get the hint. if they did it again, i would say something. depending on their reaction, i would decide whether to play with them again.

Had this happen with a friend 2 times. Once at a so so public track. He missed a putt on 17 and took a big swing with his putter and scraped the green. I made several comments and said that is not cool man, please don't do that crap.

2nd time (same friend) was at Harding Park on the 3rd or 4th hole, after taking 3 out of a bunker he chucked his wedge and it landed on the green. I grabbed his wedge, tried to repair the damage he had left and when I handed him his wedge I asked him if he planned to keep doing that sort of thing, he responded no. I said OK, because this is pretty embarrassing at a muni let alone at a course that will host major championships. If you want to keep doing that it is your choice, but I will not be playing with you anymore.

This is someone I have known for close to 20 years and we have been through some good times, some great times and some bad times so no reason to sugarcoat anything. He has been cool ever since, but admittedly we have not played much in the last 6 months as he found a serious girlfriend.

Also, I had damaged the green once one of the first time i played when I tossed my putter in the air and didn't catch it. One of my buddies pretty much said stop being a douche bag, you aren't the only one playing on this course.

I have no problem telling anyone in my regular group if they get out of line with this sort of stuff. For a random it would be situation dependent.

I’ve seen it and have called the person out on it. Something to the extent of we aren’t that good to get that upset and tear up a green others will use.

I’m sure I caught him off guard and he was pretty embarrassed for a while .

I'm not sure, because I've honestly never seen that before. It seems like even the most amateur of amateurs knows the greens are sacred.

I've had a few implosions over the years, so I get frustration, but knowing me I'd probably give a "not on the green" comment the first time I saw it. If it persisted, I'm not sure, but sh** would definitely get real.

I would say something just harsh enough for them to get the point to not do it again.

I would definitely say something. You better fix that green and never let that s*** happen again. you ever do that again around me I'll never play golf with you again.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Sergio Garcia is getting some interesting press after what he did to get DQed this past weekend.

My question is, what would you say if you were in a foursome and watched someone smash the green with their putter once (or multiple times)?

Let's assume the playing partner is a regular, not a stranger.
Might wait a hole or two for them to settle down but at least a "hey bud, chill out a little."

and I'd fix whatever damage to the best of my ability

I'd hit them with their putter.

Seriously, with THEIR putter.

I'd absolutely say something. Nothing worse than a supposed adult throwing a temper tantrum who inexcusably causes damage to the course. I find it to be pathetically immature and have been in the past and would be in the future, quick to speak up.

I threatened bodily harm to a regular that swung his putter in anger at a missed putt and scalped the green of about 6 inches of top turf.
He thought about stepping up to me...for about 2 seconds.
His anger quickly subsided and the embarrassment took over.
He said he was going to talk with the pro shop about his idiot move, but honestly I don't think he did.

I've seen plenty of tantrums but I've never seen anyone deliberately damage a green. I'm not confrontational but I'd have to speak up, even to a regular buddy, and tell him he has to fix that. Awkward or not. Bad enough more and more golfers believe fixing ball marks is somehow beneath them nowadays.

I've seen plenty of tantrums but I've never seen anyone deliberately damage a green. I'm not confrontational but I'd have to speak up, even to a regular buddy, and tell him he has to fix that. Awkward or not. Bad enough more and more golfers believe fixing ball marks is somehow beneath them nowadays.

Beneath them? Fixing ball marks is a great honor imo, means you hit the green!!!

Back