Your Most Feared Shot of the round

black mamba

Reaction score
Handicap
Went out today and shot a solid 81 for my first round of the year.Ran into a situation that made me develop this thread.On the third hole I hit a poor drive way right into any area with medium size trees and shrubs. Upon Inspecting my lie,it wasn't bad but I had to hit over a 15 foot tall tree 20 feet in front of me to get to the green 115 out.Basically that was my only shot, I couldn't go low-left or right only over.In this situation many bad thoughts came to my mind but I pulled it off. So for me the forced carry thru or over trees is very demanding. A bad miss in a location like this could be super costly. Where a carry over water that is flubbed will have a drop zone. Deep in the woods can be the end of ones good round IMHO. Sure you can take an unplayable,but once you commit to get out of the woods you are usually there until one gets out. What scenarios -/- particular shots cause you fear or doubt on the course?

Down hill 20ft putt, breaking left to right and you can't stop it. Stint 11-12...its a must drain putt. Result I missed it, by 1 inch...then the 20+ footer coming back up hill... now a right to left, were the ball will slow fast into the grain...missed that for bogey. The hole was 207y par 3 into wind (playing 215-220y) I striped my XCG7 7w / 757x evo past the pin to land dead 2 ft from its divot...was a pretty shot so to walk off with bogey was horrible.

To answer your Q: steep down hill putts that are run away trains!

I've said it before... and I'll repeat it again.

Any shot that has a hazard directly left or right of my target. No matter how many times I tell myself NOT to pull it or push it into the hazard... I just can't seem to avoid it. Almost always a round killer.

I'd MUCH rather have to carry a hazard than hit to a green with a hazard next to the green.

Sent From My Samsung Note 4 Using Tapatalk

Bunker shot that are close to the lip of the bunker. :bad:

Bunker shot that are close to the lip of the bunker. :bad:

I had one once where I thought I broke my wrist hitting the lip after hitting the ball out. My wrist hurt for two straight months afterwards. Any shot that has the ball completely below my feet is an issue for me. I don't practice that shot enough.

Anything over or near water.

First tee shot only because that's where I find out what ball flight I'll be playing for the day. My range game never translates to the course

The 6' come back putt after missing the 2' downhill putt.

Down hill bunker shot to pin with water on other side of green

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Every shot.Im getting better,but literally every shot is baffling at times

Deep in the woods, I hit a provisional and don't make much of an effort to find the original ball. So I end up hitting 3 off the tee. It's not a round killer.

But having my drive land in a situation where I have to hit a low cut around a tree for a second shot. I don't know how to hit a low cut. I can hit a low hook just fine. I can be deadly with it. But a low cut is not in my repertoire. I'll opt for the chip out and play from the fairway.

Burried bunker shot..

My second shot. Don't know why, but I mess those up.

I have never been able to draw shots from 50 - 125 yards. For some reason I just can't get the face to path relationship to work in my favor. Most of the time this is ok, a straight shot works just fine. The issue comes when there's a pin on the left side of the green and the breeze is left to right. I don't want to aim left of the green from 75 yards! Most of the time in this situation I accidentally cut across it and put a fade spin on it (trying to turn it over) and the wind takes it and sends it soaring towards the right edge of the green. What should be within 15 feet is now a 50 foot lag putt.

Remembering to set my alarm.

Any shot with a severe downhill stance.

Right now it is a 4 foot putt.

Downhill or side hill lie. Some day I will figure them out.

Your Most Feared Shot of the round

50ish yard bunker shot.

Two par 5's on my home course have this length shot and both greens have water hazards behind them. It's a doozie of a shot. Not to mention one of these holes is the 18th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any shot after a good tee shot.

Sidehill lie with ball above my feet. Chunk, hook, slice...anything is possible.

Chipping to a downhill green with very little landing area to work with. The worst usually happens when I'm faced with that nonsense!

I've said it before... and I'll repeat it again.

Any shot that has a hazard directly left or right of my target. No matter how many times I tell myself NOT to pull it or push it into the hazard... I just can't seem to avoid it. Almost always a round killer.

I'd MUCH rather have to carry a hazard than hit to a green with a hazard next to the green.

Sent From My Samsung Note 4 Using Tapatalk

The golf brain does not understand the words "not" and "don't".

Back