Golf Attire to Prevent Skin Cancer - Is enough being Done?

Nike makes a decent looking semi-rigid bucket hat. I wear it and I have tried many others. Sleeves are an option as are pants that are liteweight. But when 90F and above approaches, I go with long inseam shorts.

Golf Attire to Prevent Skin Cancer - Is enough being Done?

I wore sleeves for the first time in Las Vegas at the end of May. I think it may have been 90+ degrees. I wore sleeves all summer on Phoenix. The heat with sleeves on was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had numerous skin cancers taken off, basal and squamous cell. I should wear a bucket hat but I don't. I normally wear a wide brimmed hat all the time outside (Akubra, if you are into hats) and bought a wide brimmed hat for golf but it interferes with my swing. A bucket hat would make me feel like Bing Crosby and if I started crooning it wouldn't be cancer that killed me.

Last edited:
Grandfather (passed) and father both have had skin cancers; chunks of ears removed, tumors on neck removed, facial tumors, etc., so I try to be diligent with sunscreen and always a hat. I carry the aerosol type so the hands don't get greasy.

1) I hate sunscreen. It just always seems to get everywhere for me. Even the golf specific non-greasy variety. Yuck.

2) I hate sleeves. And bucket hats. And pants.

3) I have very Irish skin.

That's my dilemma.

I was thinking of giving the Nike compression sleeves a go this year. I don't typically wear sunglasses but I have also picked up some Oakley sunglasses with prizm golf lenses....soley for the reason of wanting to protect my eyes as well. On another note I have seen people in my area use an umbrella on their push carts. A quick search revealed that there are spf rated golf umbrellas. Anyone else see that? Thoughts on using an umbrella on a sunny day?

I don't have the SPF or uv blocking umbrella but I see lots of people using them. I use my regular umbrella and it does a good job keeping the sun off me but some still gets thru, I have considered the SPF/uv blocking umbrella this year

1) I hate sunscreen. It just always seems to get everywhere for me. Even the golf specific non-greasy variety. Yuck.

2) I hate sleeves. And bucket hats. And pants.

3) I have very Irish skin.

That's my dilemma.

Neutrogena makes a stick type of sunscreen that looks like antiperspirant and applies the same way.

Didn't know about this. Will be heading to Target to get some.

I have been horrible with sunscreen to this point in my life(28 yrs old) but I have made it my goal to start wearing it more and more. I have always been about the tan, but with seeing what Cancer can do I figure there's no better time than now to start.
As far as long sleeve shirts and pants go in the summer, it is doable, just have to find the right ones! I usually live in shorts and tee's but wear a hat all the time on the golf course.

I have been horrible with sunscreen to this point in my life(28 yrs old) but I have made it my goal to start wearing it more and more. I have always been about the tan, but with seeing what Cancer can do I figure there's no better time than now to start.
As far as long sleeve shirts and pants go in the summer, it is doable, just have to find the right ones! I usually live in shorts and tee's but wear a hat all the time on the golf course.

Man I'm the same way. I hate sunscreen. I hate how it feels. I'm the same way with any type of lotion. I'm weird like that.

But, being uncomfortable is a small price to pay and last year I started getting better about wearing sunscreen every time I'm in the sun for a long time.

I wear a wide brim hat that covers my neck and ears and shades my eyes. The sides of the hat are vented and the brim is about 3inches wide. The hat does not interfere with my swing. I got a nike long sleeve compression shirt for Christmas to wear under my polo. I'll let you guys know how that works out when I start wearing it after it gets hot. I wore it once temps in the upper 50s and thought I was walking in an air conditioner. The shirt seemed to cool my skin when in motion. Hope its that way when it gets 90!

It was about 80 degrees today, I was playing and had my sleeves and long pants.
When the wind picked up, I actually was cold.
One nice feature of sleeves - if you get them wet, the wind will cool your arms off as the water evaporates. Works surprisingly well.

Didn't know about this. Will be heading to Target to get some.

It does go on pretty heavy but you don't have to use your hands for the application.

I know spivey is a big proponent of hte bucket hat to save your ears.

~Rock

I witnessed this first hand on Sunday.. I may bucket it up as well.. He also wore an Underarmor style shirt under the polo.. I told him my wife makes me wear 100+ spf.. Looks like I am wearing mayo..

I picked up two pairs of the Nike Golf Solar Sleeves. They're on sale on nike.com if anyone is interested in saving $8.

I bought a compression shirt after playing with Spivey last summer that I plan on using a lot this summer. I need to find a long term solution for my legs that doesn't involve tights.

My problem with sunscreen is that I suck at reapplying it during the round and its not really meant to last 3-4 hours.

I bought a compression shirt after playing with Spivey last summer that I plan on using a lot this summer. I need to find a long term solution for my legs that doesn't involve tights.

My problem with sunscreen is that I suck at reapplying it during the round and its not really meant to last 3-4 hours.

Keep the sunscreen in the cup holder on the cart so you see it and can use as a reminder to reapply

golfersskin also has the roll on type stick.

I have a serious question, do we make too much out of skin cancer and golf? I have friends that have had skin cancer cells removed from their faces and chest but have done nothing different in covering up. So I'm just wondering if a bigger deal is made of it then needs be. Just asking because I'd like to know more.

Freddie, since I had two spots removed one on my face and one on my head I do use sunscreen much more often. The way it was told to me is the cancer cells are there normally from a early sunburn as a kid or just constant over exposure (see living in florida with an outside job) and as you get Older the cells wake up so to speak and boom you are dealing with the Cancer.
Now that is most likely way over simplified but the logic is sound. I go every 6 months now to be checked and if I see something that looks bad right away. I am bot suppose to go out in the sun at all without a wide brim hat and 100 spf sunscreen, but I am not as digilent as I should be and will pay the price moving forward. It is very serious and life threatening if not dealt with quickly.

Freddie, since I had two spots removed one on my face and one on my head I do use sunscreen much more often. The way it was told to me is the cancer cells are there normally from a early sunburn as a kid or just constant over exposure (see living in florida with an outside job) and as you get Older the cells wake up so to speak and boom you are dealing with the Cancer.
Now that is most likely way over simplified but the logic is sound. I go every 6 months now to be checked and if I see something that looks bad right away. I am bot suppose to go out in the sun at all without a wide brim hat and 100 spf sunscreen, but I am not as digilent as I should be and will pay the price moving forward. It is very serious and life threatening if not dealt with quickly.

I had a similar situation last year, I had skin cancer removed from my ear by surgery and 2 smaller places on my ear and nose frozen in the doctors office. He told me that now I am at a higher risk of it reoccurring ( can't remember the exact % but somewhere around 60% more likely). Like Jim, always outdoors growing up and never really used sunscreen. I wear more sunscreen now and a wide brim hat most of the time. I had a close friend die from skin cancer so I try to take it more seriously now.

I'm fortunate that my mother was stubborn as anything forcing me to wear sunscreen all the time from a young age. I love being outside and was on the water a fair bit too which really amplifies the impact. I always wear a hat and generally lather up my arms, legs, neck, face and ears with SPF 30+. It isn't much fun and it does stain white polo's, but I'll get some golfer's skin and hopefully not have that issue anymore.

I have a serious question, do we make too much out of skin cancer and golf? I have friends that have had skin cancer cells removed from their faces and chest but have done nothing different in covering up. So I'm just wondering if a bigger deal is made of it then needs be. Just asking because I'd like to know more.

I think there are people that take it more serious than others. It's like many other cancers where we see some people change their habits based on the experience of others around them and others don't. I know people who have had spots removed and have done everything they can to prevent more and I know others who don't make any attempt.

Back