Ben Hogan PTx current and former users

badolds

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
12 est.
Seeing TXG do a review on these recently was pretty cool. These irons have been out for over three years now but they are still very relevant. Reading thru the review thread is like a who's who of THP, even JB hit them for a short period of time. I have a few question for those of you who used them in the past.

#1 What irons did you replace them with and why?

#2 Did your newer irons beat the performance of the PTx and how?

#3 Would you consider them to be outdated?

Current users, is there a better option out there for you?

This is the TXG review

This is the review thread

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php/78837-Ben-Hogan-PTx-Irons-Review-Thread

Thank you.

Last edited:

1. Callaway Apex Forged (‘19) because of the Grandaddy

2. Yes, easily. More distance, less spin, same feel and look, more forgiving

3. No, not at all.

The irons are still great, I simply reached a point where I was going to benefit from less spin, more forgiveness and more distance. If a person wants a higher spin iron these are a great choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. In about 4 hours, they will leave the bag for the first time since June in favor of the TEE CBX Forged. Will it be a permanent replacement, I have no idea. I have the new irons so would be foolish not to try them.
2. Unknown at this point.
3. Absolutely not.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

#1 What irons did you replace them with and why? Srixon 765's

#2 Did your newer irons beat the performance of the PTx and how? Little more forgiving for me because of longer heel to toe length, but I also liked the V-sole on the 765 better than those on the PTx

#3 Would you consider them to be outdated? Absolutely not. For the profile, pound for pound they are still very relevant, and very good, irons.

Seeing TXG do a review on these recently was pretty cool. These irons have been out for over three years now but they are still very relevant. Reading thru the review thread is like a who's who of THP, even JB hit them for a short period of time. I have a few question for those of you who used them in the past.

This is the TXG review

This is the review thread

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php/78837-Ben-Hogan-PTx-Irons-Review-Thread

Thank you.

1. Apex Pro's 14', I went back to my old irons. While these are great looking irons I did not like the lofts stamped on the sole. I was constantly trying to do math to figure out which iron was which. Also personally I wasn't a fan of the feel I thought they were a bit on the harder side compared to the irons I replaced them with.

2. There was nothing wrong with performance was just a personal preference on the feel and overall design. I did however find these to spin much more than my previous set.

3. No I don't think they are outdated

1. I’ve gone through several sets since then - I like new things.

2. For the most part, yes. Only because the PTx are designed to be high spinning irons and I generate a lot of spin on my own.

3. If you need spin, these should be on your list to hit.

I played around with them for a very short amount of time.

1. Went back to a Titleist AP3 for a short period before going to my current Cleveland HB
2. for me yes, the PTX were very high spinning, and I generated a lot of spin on my own, so I saw very consistent shots, but much shorter distance. After making some changes in my swing, I would like to hit them again as look/feel/accuracy they were some of the best irons I have ever hit
3. No, I think these could easily be played by many golfers.

I never owned the PTX. I demoed the PTX, Edge, and Ft. Worth 15.
1. I liked the feel and looks of the Ft. Worth better. Plus, I got a great deal on them I couldn't pass up.
2. I found the performance of the PTX and Ft. Worth very similar. Personally, I could not tell a big difference in forgiveness between the two 7-pw. 4-6 I found the PTX easier to get airborne without swinging as fast like the Ft. Worth. Feel is better with the Ft. Worth.
3. No, I originally was looking at Mizuno irons. I tested the MP-18s and the new JPX 919s in September. I really loved the JPX 919 Tour! I then hit the Hogan Clubs. I found the PTXs and 919 Tours to be almost identical in feel and performance. I was trying to justify to myself, the Mizunos were worth the $400-$500 price difference. And, I couldn't. I liked the explosiveness of the Hot Metals. If I was buying a set right now, it would probably be the new Hot Metal Pros. Seems like a great combination of the Tour and Hot Metals.

1. Replaced them initially with Ping i200s. The PTXs were super accurate, but as others have noted, I struggled a bit with distance. Off center hits are punished a decent amount. I was looking for more forgiveness, but did not want to jump to a club that would produce knuckleballs.

Also...I hated the lofts on the bottom. If you need a cheat sheet on your bag to know which club to grab, your UI is broken.

2. Yep. i200s are great clubs. Forgiving, accurate, controllable.

3. Not at all. The PTx is still a great club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There seems to be a common element of these being high spinning irons for most of you that have played them. Are the Ft. Worth irons high spinning like these? This sounds stupid, but, I feel like I hit my irons further than I want. Meaning, I need too many wedges to cover gapping and I find that I air mail too many greens unexpectedly. I am on the hunt for something that will spin a bit more.

Current user. I am fighting the higher spin and launch I am seeing with the 5 and 6i. I am loving the 7i down, but may still spin these a little more than I want to. I think much of the issue is my angle of attack and haven't given up on the PTx as of yet. The main reason is I love the feel, the compact head, and the forgiveness that resides in such a "players" looking club. I just wish there wasn't such a drop off from 7i to 6i for me in performance.

There seems to be a common element of these being high spinning irons for most of you that have played them. Are the Ft. Worth irons high spinning like these? This sounds stupid, but, I feel like I hit my irons further than I want. Meaning, I need too many wedges to cover gapping and I find that I air mail too many greens unexpectedly. I am on the hunt for something that will spin a bit more.

I have only hit the Ft Worth and IMO, these are a true blade and the forgiveness is no where close to that of the PTx.

With regard to the PTx, Matt (the guy hitting in the video) speaks about what he wants in his irons - consistent distance and not increased distance. He's a real solid ball striker with a super high SS. I don't think the issue is him needing or wanting more spin to control the distance, but the right spin with a club that will not surprise him with a suddenly hot face. Some models, like the PTx, can produce inconsistency on distance with the hollow bodied construction and the face that can flex. There should be tons of options out there from blades to players cavities that can give you the right spin and repeatability that you are after. Hope this helps. There are many more guys on this site that can help out with equipment more than me.

I have only hit the Ft Worth and IMO, these are a true blade and the forgiveness is no where close to that of the PTx.

With regard to the PTx, Matt (the guy hitting in the video) speaks about what he wants in his irons - consistent distance and not increased distance. He's a real solid ball striker with a super high SS. I don't think the issue is him needing or wanting more spin to control the distance, but the right spin with a club that will not surprise him with a suddenly hot face. Some models, like the PTx, can produce inconsistency on distance with the hollow bodied construction and the face that can flex. There should be tons of options out there from blades to players cavities that can give you the right spin and repeatability that you are after. Hope this helps. There are many more guys on this site that can help out with equipment more than me.

I found them to be very equal...7 iron down. I didn't see a lot of difference in the forgiveness. It's funny how different people can get different results with the same clubs. I really wanted the MP-18s, but they felt/performed so bad for me, yet others rave about them. I would say hit them both. The Ben Hogan demo program is great. Also, I tried the KBS Tours. I really didn't like these shafts at all. I will be putting Nippon Modus shafts in mine. Although, my club builder is trying to talk me into Accra graphite iron shafts!

1) FG Tour V6. Hogan went bankrupt at the time and I figured they were done for. I Found the V6 to offer better looks, more speed, and a higher flight.

2) Yes. They had better distance dispersion and offered similar overall performance in a smaller and more attractive package.

3) Not at all. Great feel and high spinners. If you take cost into effect I think the Hogans might be the best bang for the buck in the Players Iron category.

These replaced a set of Titleist 716 CB when I got them. To this day I regret ever making the switch. I never found them to be better than the CBs by any measure. YMMV, of course. Just one guy’s experience.

#1 What irons did you replace them with and why? They were replace with Cobra Tour Forged in 2017 and again with Wilson C300 Forged in 2018; both newer iron sets were either given to me at, or purchased after, a THP Event.

#2 Did your newer irons beat the performance of the PTx and how? No, neither set gave me the ball flight or distance I like to see.

#3 Would you consider them to be outdated? Absolutely not; the PTx irons are as relevant today as they were back in 2016.

Current users, is there a better option out there for you? Maybe. I was recently fitted for irons at Club Champion (were they don't offer the Hogan PTx) and after finding the shaft that works best for me in an iron I hit several options. The two iron heads that gave me the, by far, best numbers were the Titleist T-MB and the TaylorMade P790; and the number between these two were almost identical. Even so, as opposed to buying new custom built irons I have ordered the iron shaft I was fitted for and will have them built into my Hogan PTx's; I'm looking forward to seeing the numbers I'll get with them, compared to the two I was fitted for.

1. In about 4 hours, they will leave the bag for the first time since June in favor of the TEE CBX Forged. Will it be a permanent replacement, I have no idea. I have the new irons so would be foolish not to try them.
2. Unknown at this point.
3. Absolutely not.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
These are back in the bag for today's round. I have to somehow get my lie angles figured out for both of these sets. The lie angles on the shorter CBX irons and wedges are definitely too upright for me and the longer irons on the PTx may be too flat. Just have to figured out how to get that sorted and adjustments made as necessary without easy access to necessary equipment. As it currently stands, I have more confidence in the PTx overall.

I am far too much of a Ben Hogan homer to leave these, and the Equalizer wedges, on the sideline...

Still love my PTx irons!

Still love my PTx irons!

They are certainly incredible irons and I am with you on loving them. I would still be gaming them if they did not come out with an upgrade in the Pros. Don't think the upgrade is overwhelmingly significant, but is a enough for me to see a slight difference. In my bag, 5 - PW are from the Pro set but 4 iron is from the original PTx set.

Back