Tenputt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 5.4
Hypothetically, you have a rich uncle who loves golf. He comes to you and says that if you legitimately lower your handicap by 20% by August of 2019, you will receive $100,000. What are you going to do to find that type of improvement?

Cry. Hahaha

20% is a BIG chore. But, I would re-build a full practice schedule again with emphasis on the short game for me.

Would be pretty big motivation, thats for sure.

Cry. Hahaha

20% is a BIG chore. But, I would re-build a full practice schedule again with emphasis on the short game for me.

Would be pretty big motivation, thats for sure.

It is a BIG chore. I have been contemplating my goal of getting to a 3 or lower this year. So, I was going to title the thread, “Lower your index by 2 strokes.” However, I think most people with a handicap of 18 or 20 can lower their index by 2 strokes, simply with improved course management. But, depending on where one’s index falls, I am curious to see what the plan would be.

i would have to shave 1 full stroke off my index. for me, that would mean hitting 2-3 more greens per round. which should be easy, because i just bought new irons lol

@Tenputt are you going to be my rich uncle? I'd work on putting, putting, putting, putting, and driving. I might also work on putting if there is time.

Make sure I play at least twice per week, and make sure I practice short game. Those are the keys for me to play my best.

That would drop me from a 27.2 to around 21.5. I think cutting down on penalty strokes by playing better off the tee would help. Also any short game improvement could get me there, especially putting.

Quit my job, move someplace warm where I can actually play golf more than 5 months out of the year. Get some lessons and practice a lot. Finally, look for a new job.

My index was 20% lower about 10 months ago. Therefore, I'm going to focus on 125 yards and in.

I'll spend most of my free time test driving new cars. BMW 750i is the clubhouse leader but it's early. :D

Quit my job, move someplace warm where I can actually play golf more than 5 months out of the year. Get some lessons and practice a lot. Finally, look for a new job.

Can I join?

Same thing I am doing now, because lowering my index by 25% is my goal for this year.

Being a 21, that is not so hard, really, because it is so high.

What I am doing is:
Practicing at least 100 shots a day, every day, on the sim and practice green.
Taking lessons once a week with my pro.
Fit my clubs (already done)
Replacing non functional (for me) clubs, and putting in clubs I hit better (done)
Once winter is over, get on the course a minimum of three days per week.

Same thing I am doing now, because lowering my index by 25% is my goal for this year.

Being a 21, that is not so hard, really, because it is so high.

What I am doing is:
Practicing at least 100 shots a day, every day, on the sim and practice green.
Taking lessons once a week with my pro.
Fit my clubs (already done)
Replacing non functional (for me) clubs, and putting in clubs I hit better (done)
Once winter is over, get on the course a minimum of three days per week.

I suspect that you are going to see more than a 20% decrease in your index. Great plan!

Practice putting. A lot. Everything else in my game is good enough to be that level already. Just gotta remember how to putt that damn ball

20% off my ghin would be 1 full stroke.

1. New irons
2. New hybrids
3. More practice concentrating on approach shots.
4. More short game practice
5. Putting practice.

That ought to do it.

Haha sure, but I'm not splitting the money, you'd better have a rich uncle too :alien:

As long as the couch in the basement is comfortable im good

So that will be a full stroke, so guess I would have to hit 3/4 more GIR. Keep the putts down around 30

Pretty much my answer verbatim.

I’ll go find me a PGA instructor and tell him I’ll give you $25,000 to lower my index 20% or better. I’m sure it can happen. $25,000 for green fees and other expenses.
I should be better golfer with $50,000 in my pocket.
Done!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I'd have to go from 14.3 to 11.5. I was as low as 11.9 a couple years ago and just a marginal putter but I also played 2 times a week and practiced 2 more days a week. I'd have to get back to that routine and really dial in approach shots from 125 and in.

I finished the season close to an 8. I have been as low as a 6. I would just need to play and practice more. If I can maintain a 7 or an 8 while only playing once a week, I know I could play more and get closer to a 5.

That would take a lot of dedicated time to specific parts of my game.

Hypothetically, you have a rich uncle who loves golf. He comes to you and says that if you legitimately lower your handicap by 20% by August of 2019, you will receive $100,000. What are you going to do to find that type of improvement?

Kind of a weird question for me as I've been lower and 20% when you're near zero isn't big. So I'll assume three to four strokes.

100% I'd be in my basement putting every evening, and sneaking over to the course every morning to work on short game and wedge shots. I'm fairly sure that I could get that 3-4 point swing pretty quickly if I concentrated purely on those elements for the better part of six months.

Back