Aim Point Express

i may need a diagram, LT. Lol

btw, i tried it for the first time today. My accuracy knowing if it's a 1, 2, 3, etc. is going to take practice, but i probably had my best overall day putting. Just knowing it breaks right, left or very little is huge. I came very close on several putts, and on one hole the wife said it breaks to the left, but my feet said right. She guessed wrong. I lipped it out.

Overall i am very pleased with this. It helps a lot.

i agree completly with your comments.

I took the aimpoint class earlier in the year and would say it definitely helped me with my putting. I was a 15 handicap at the time and the other student happened to be a 2...(when the other guy mentioned his handicap i was like why the hell are you here? )

My takeaway that the teacher mentioned is that it is almost always a 1 or 2. He mentioned that a Lpga pro that he coached used it on tour and had told him that less than 5% of her putts were a 3 or 4. By focusing on feeling the slope and not overreading the break i reduced the number of 3 putts.

I'm definitely going to try the aimpoint method next round. I'm so flustered on the greens. I can hit the ball and chip well enough to look like a 5-7 handicap, but putt like a 25'er. Have always had a tough time reading greens.

Received the AimPoint Express DVD yesterday and viewed it a couple of times. It explains most things very well, but unfortunately there are a couple of areas that IMO didn't go into enough detail. For example, how far to stand behind your ball on the longer putts (10 to 15' birdie putts and long lag putts 40 to 60'), with respect to the speed of the green. Overall I believe that it's worth getting the DVD because it's enough to get you started. Unfortunately I will not be able to practice APE until the spring when the golfing season restarts. I would rate the DVD as 4 out of 5 stars.

I'm speculating, but I suspect that learning APE would be quicker and easier to learn if you took either group, or private lessons from a certified instructor. I checked their website for certified instructors and there non listed in Atlantic Canada. A few weeks ago I spoke to a golf pro who is aware of APE, but does not use it and therefore is not certified. He said that the closes instructor MAY be in Halifax, Nova Scotia which would be a reasonably long drive for me.

Does anyone here know of any certified instructors in Atlantic Canada?

Received the AimPoint Express DVD yesterday and viewed it a couple of times. It explains most things very well, but unfortunately there are a couple of areas that IMO didn't go into enough detail. For example, how far to stand behind your ball on the longer putts (10 to 15' birdie putts and long lag putts 40 to 60'), with respect to the speed of the green. Overall I believe that it's worth getting the DVD because it's enough to get you started. Unfortunately I will not be able to practice APE until the spring when the golfing season restarts. I would rate the DVD as 4 out of 5 stars.

I'm speculating, but I suspect that learning APE would be quicker and easier to learn if you took either group, or private lessons from a certified instructor. I checked their website for certified instructors and there non listed in Atlantic Canada. A few weeks ago I spoke to a golf pro who is aware of APE, but does not use it and therefore is not certified. He said that the closes instructor MAY be in Halifax, Nova Scotia which would be a reasonably long drive for me.

Does anyone here know of any certified instructors in Atlantic Canada?

On putts longer than 6';
-take slope value from middle section of putt
-use slope value from behind your ball same as short putts (just keep this the same)
-hand alignment is from center of hole not lower edge as in shorter than 6' putts

On Long single break putts;
-visually find middle section of putt and take reading from the steepest point in that middle section
-Make read same as above

Simple read on double breaks;
-go to exact center, get read from there
-play that slope value reading from the ball as well

Hope that helps.

Also, don't know of any instructors in your area. You can check on their website. I'm from Sask, and had to drive to Calgary (7 hours) to take this. It was worth the drive!

On putts longer than 6';
-take slope value from middle section of putt
-use slope value from behind your ball same as short putts (just keep this the same)
-hand alignment is from center of hole not lower edge as in shorter than 6' putts

On Long single break putts;
-visually find middle section of putt and take reading from the steepest point in that middle section
-Make read same as above

Simple read on double breaks;
-go to exact center, get read from there
-play that slope value reading from the ball as well

Hope that helps.

Also, don't know of any instructors in your area. You can check on their website. I'm from Sask, and had to drive to Calgary (7 hours) to take this. It was worth the drive!

Thanks!!! That is exactly what I was looking for.

I'll have to send them an email to find the closest instructor. If there's an instructor in Halifax, that's a 5+ hour drive which I am prepared to do.

Aim point Express putting method

Aim point Express putting method

Is anyone using this? I have been watching Adam Scott and researched this a little on line and it is intriguing but didn't know if anyone was using it. Not sure if it's snake oil or there is more to it. No where online really explains how to do it in detail and of course all the videos show people using it dropping bombs so I was wondering if anyone could speak on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is anyone using this? I have been watching Adam Scott and researched this a little on line and it is intriguing but didn't know if anyone was using it. Not sure if it's snake oil or there is more to it. No where online really explains how to do it in detail and of course all the videos show people using it dropping bombs so I was wondering if anyone could speak on it.

There are some top players using the system on the tours. Lydia Ko uses the system, but doesn't use her fingers anymore, she uses a method that uses knee flex and her shoelaces.

They don't explain in detail because they want you to buy the DVD or take a class. It is built on science of how gravity pulls on something that is on a slope. If you had a perfect surface and tilt it X degrees, the ball will always curve the same amount at a particular speed. Greens aren't perfect and they don't have a single slope but if you can figure out slope and the rough speed of the green you can make a reasonable estimate at how much the putt will break.

After you read the putt, you still have to hit the putt and rely on the condition of the green to not throw your ball off line.

I think quite a few pros (on all tours) use Aim Point technique. I know that the woman that helps coach our golf team (former OH amateur champ & currently a 4 HC) says it works & helps a lot. My only concern is does it slow down pace of play if everyone uses it? Maybe not if it cuts the number of putts down and if it gives people the confidence that they can make the breaking ones.

There are some top players using the system on the tours. Lydia Ko uses the system, but doesn't use her fingers anymore, she uses a method that uses knee flex and her shoelaces.

They don't explain in detail because they want you to buy the DVD or take a class. It is built on science of how gravity pulls on something that is on a slope. If you had a perfect surface and tilt it X degrees, the ball will always curve the same amount at a particular speed. Greens aren't perfect and they don't have a single slope but if you can figure out slope and the rough speed of the green you can make a reasonable estimate at how much the putt will break.

After you read the putt, you still have to hit the putt and rely on the condition of the green to not throw your ball off line.

Lydia Ko is still using Aimpoint Express but she has also (as you correctly stated) incorporated an alternate knee bend system into her routine to double check the reading she got from the feeling from her feet She does this because her feet are less sensitive to slope variances. The name from the alternate knee pop reading system escapes me at the moment, but I'll update this posts if I recall the name. EDIT: It's referred to as The Baillie Read. After Lydia establishes the percentage of slope (verified by using her knees) she still puts up her fingers to establish the correct putting line.

Take a look at the below YouTube video. Around the 2:00 minute mark she discribes the Aimpoint Express system and at the 3:08 minute mark you can clearly see her still using her fingers to find her line.

Last edited:

I use it ... it was the single best instruction class I took in golf ...

Lydia Ko is still using Aimpoint Express but she has also (as you correctly stated) incorporated an alternate knee bend system into her routine to double check the reading she got from the feeling from her feet She does this because her feet are less sensitive to slope variances. The name from the alternate knee reading system escapes me at the moment, but I'll update this posts if I recall the name. After Lydia establishes the percentage of slope (verified by using her knees) she still puts up her fingers to establish the correct putting line.

Take a look at the below YouTube video. Around the 2:00 minute mark she discribes the Aimpoint Express system and at the 3:08 minute mark you can clearly see her still using her fingers to find her line.

Thanks 2bad4u for posting this. I really hope to get some training on this before too long. It certainly can't hurt!

This is definitely not snake oil. Some may disagree with this but there are also some people that still believe that the earth is flat. :bulgy-eyes:

Prior to Aimpoint Express Scott was a terrible putter for US PGA Tour standards. He was ranked 193 of 202 on the US PGA Tour and today he has dropped down to the 74th spot.

As impressive as that is take a look at the stats that are heavily influenced by putting. Now he is ranked #6 in strokes gained putting, #6 in birdie average, #1 in eagles (per hole), #5 birdies per hole, #5 par breakers (birdies/eagles per hole).

Most impressively he's #6 in stores gained putting, with a 1.763 per round or 7.052 putts per tournament. This is huge.

Clearly Aimpoint Express works.

I think quite a few pros (on all tours) use Aim Point technique. I know that the woman that helps coach our golf team (former OH amateur champ & currently a 4 HC) says it works & helps a lot. My only concern is does it slow down pace of play if everyone uses it? Maybe not if it cuts the number of putts down and if it gives people the confidence that they can make the breaking ones.

I forgot to mention above that IMO, Aimpoint Express (APE) is as fast, or most likely, faster than traditional green reading techniques. It only takes 10 to 20 seconds to get an APE reading. Compare that to traditional green reading techniques, especially if golfers are walking around the hole trying to get their read. I wouldn't worry too much about pace of play with respect to APE.

It would probably speed up the game if everyone used APE.

My instructor offered this class last year and I was unable to attend at the time. I'm going to see if she still offers the class. I could use some help reading greens.

I know the basics but want to take the class to get some of the subtle parts of it down. I am a big fan of using your feet to feel the break, especially on what look like flat 10 footers. The express version is fast and in no one should slow up the game unless you are a person who walks up to a putt and hits without spending any time reading, then it will add 10 or 20 seconds.

I really have enjoyed it.. It works..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My instructor offered this class last year and I was unable to attend at the time. I'm going to see if she still offers the class. I could use some help reading greens.
I keep trying to connect with a local class as well

I forgot to mention above that IMO, Aimpoint Express (APE) is as fast, or most likely, faster than traditional green reading techniques. It only takes 10 to 20 seconds to get an APE reading. Compare that to traditional green reading techniques, especially if golfers are walking around the hole trying to get their read. I wouldn't worry too much about pace of play with respect to APE.

It would probably speed up the game if everyone used APE.

2bad4u - did you take a class in APE? How did you learn it?

2bad4u - did you take a class in APE? How did you learn it?

At the end of last golf season I did a lot of reading about APE. The closest 2 instructors are both 9 to 10 hours drive away so I bought the DVD and a percent digital scale. My plan is to practice reading greens in the spring and followup with instruction when we visit family during the summer. Quite a few people have reported success with just purchasing DVD, but the majority have stated that the DVD is a good/excellent primer, but it really should be followed up with certified instruction. Will see how it goes in the spring.

At the end of last golf season I did a lot of reading about APE. The closest 2 instructors are both 9 to 10 hours drive away so I bought the DVD and a percent digital scale. My plan is to practice reading greens in the spring and followup with instruction when we visit family during the summer. Quite a few people have reported success with just purchasing DVD, but the majority have stated that the DVD is a good/excellent primer, but it really should be followed up with certified instruction. Will see how it goes in the spring.

I was reading Amazon reviews of the APE DVD & some mentioned that the newest technique of bending the knee (I guess this is what Lydia Ko was doing in that clip?) is not discussed on the DVD. Have you seen this detailed anywhere?

I was reading Amazon reviews of the APE DVD & some mentioned that the newest technique of bending the knee (I guess this is what Lydia Ko was doing in that clip?) is not discussed on the DVD. Have you seen this detailed anywhere?

Taking readings with your knee flex is not discussed in the DVD, but I have read that some of the APE instructors are also teaching this alternative method to their students in addition to measuring slope with their feet.

Reading slope with your feet and knees shouldn't be too difficult to teach your self if you have a digital percent level:

1. Find your slopes and mark %
  2. Stride the slope
  3. Feel the slope with your feet and observe your upper knee
  4. Associate that feel and knee flex to that known %
It should be noted that knee flex technique is typically only used with the lower supple readings, to distinguish a 0 reading verses a 1 reading, or a 1 verses a 2 reading. The 2, 3, 4, and 5 readings are easier to read with your feet so most don't use their knees for these. However the vast majority of students only use their feet to measure slope.

The key to learning how to read slope is to get yourself a small digital level that reads slope as a percent (%). Go to your practice green, mark the various slope readings, and get a feel for the various slope values. Do NOT get a level that only reads in degrees only. Digital levels are not that expensive and are available at Home Depot, and if you live in Canada, they are also available at Canadian Tire. Canadian Tire puts these levels on a 40% sale every 3 to 4 months, and that's where I got mine.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Lydia Ko is still using Aimpoint Express but she has also (as you correctly stated) incorporated an alternate knee bend system into her routine to double check the reading she got from the feeling from her feet She does this because her feet are less sensitive to slope variances. The name from the alternate knee pop reading system escapes me at the moment, but I'll update this posts if I recall the name. EDIT: It's referred to as The Baillie Read. After Lydia establishes the percentage of slope (verified by using her knees) she still puts up her fingers to establish the correct putting line.

I updated the original post with the proper name - The Baillie Read.

Feel the slope with your feet and observe your lower knee

I have also read where the person observes where the knee is in relation to their shoelaces which corresponds to a break.

I have also read where the person observes where the knee is in relation to their shoelaces which corresponds to a break.
That's what I do. Aimpoint instructor showed me that, as long as you use your dominate eye and keep your head in the same spot everytime.
My reads were more accurate than the feeling of slope.

Sent from my S6 edge

If you put a few marks on your shoe instead of using your laces would that violate a USGA rule?

Back