Study finds modern swing cause back injuries

I switched to a bigger hip turn and smaller “x” factor two years ago and wish I would have done it 20 years ago. I’ve maintained or slightly increased my clubhead speed and my swing is more repeatable. It took me most of two years for the change to become automatic but at age 53 I can go out and hit 300 balls, play 18 holes, and repeat it the next day with no sore back. Before I made the change I was having to take a day off of hitting balls after a long range session the previous day.

BTW, I was diagnosed with arthritis in my lower back at age 28.

Good topic.
A couple of years ago at Golftec my pro was moving me along nicely in my lessons. Sway was down, inside path, etc...
Then we started to talk about shoulder bend. Apparently I was too flat and needed more of an upward tilt at impact and to feel like my chest was pointing upwards immediately post impact.

c5fc3f6e94e605077923f20e079dac99.jpg

Well that’s when my back pain started. To the point I had to take some time off. It really was screwing up my back and told my pro that this is a no go and I’ll just have to keep a flatter back and go from there. He was very accommodating but we know how Golftec likes to mirror the pro swings.
Now I have free flowing hips. My backswing has me feeling like my right butt cheek is turning to the target. I still get plenty of shoulder turn but not that crazy coil.
I’m 47 and would like to enjoy this game in retirement. If that means a little shorter distance that’s ok.

The allopathic medical profession has a bad track record for rehabilitating and preventing lower back disabilities. Only in the last decade have they embraced alternative back care/exercises/strengthening as a preventive measure. Prior, many would promote surgeries, many with poor outcomes.
As a chiropractor/ applied kinesiologist I've treated many golfers. Those that strengthen their core muscles and work on rotational improvements and back extension/lower pelvic muscle strengthening rarely injure themselves playing golf. I see a lot more hand/wrist injuries from hitting the ball fat.
I also see golfers who are overweight and unwilling to train. I think these people are just as likely to injure their low back by taking a bad step out of their golf cart as they would swinging a club. I rarely see golfers stretch or loosen up on the driving range, but pro golfers embrace training and stretching.
Once disc's are torn or herniated, they're difficult to rehab, and the proper surgeon can work miracles. I'd like to see all golfers using a Roman Chair at home, for lower back strengthening and engaging movement of the lumbar facets. All golfers who can, should walk and not ride. The act of walking (cross crawl motion) really helps balance the muscles and improves performance.

The allopathic medical profession has a bad track record for rehabilitating and preventing lower back disabilities. Only in the last decade have they embraced alternative back care/exercises/strengthening as a preventive measure. Prior, many would promote surgeries, many with poor outcomes.
As a chiropractor/ applied kinesiologist I've treated many golfers. Those that strengthen their core muscles and work on rotational improvements and back extension/lower pelvic muscle strengthening rarely injure themselves playing golf. I see a lot more hand/wrist injuries from hitting the ball fat.
I also see golfers who are overweight and unwilling to train. I think these people are just as likely to injure their low back by taking a bad step out of their golf cart as they would swinging a club. I rarely see golfers stretch or loosen up on the driving range, but pro golfers embrace training and stretching.
Once disc's are torn or herniated, they're difficult to rehab, and the proper surgeon can work miracles. I'd like to see all golfers using a Roman Chair at home, for lower back strengthening and engaging movement of the lumbar facets. All golfers who can, should walk and not ride. The act of walking (cross crawl motion) really helps balance the muscles and improves performance.
The fact that you used the word "train" made me happy.

So the crazy core work at my new MMA gym is going to help me prevent possible back pain from golf? Sweet. Doesn’t help that I sit in an airplane for sometimes 12 hours a day.

The "x-factor modern golf swing" was in fashion for a cup of coffee about 15 years ago. As far as I know current junior, amateur, and Tour pros, or their instructors, are not pursuing any sort of upper body turn against a stable lower body (x-factor technique).

The "x-factor modern golf swing" was in fashion for a cup of coffee about 15 years ago. As far as I know current junior, amateur, and Tour pros, or their instructors, are not pursuing any sort of upper body turn against a stable lower body (x-factor technique).

I find a lot of instructors not wanting people to lift their left heel in the BS. Wouldn't that result in an upper body turn against a stable lower body?

I find a lot of instructors not wanting people to lift their left heel in the BS. Wouldn't that result in an upper body turn against a stable lower body?

Whether a player lifts their lead heel or not doesn't necessarily restrict hip turn. To what extent depends massively on hip joint variance and overall hip mobility that is very much player specific. There is a difference between "stable lower body" that includes hip turn and actively restricting hip turn.

Back