mr.hicksta

Golf->Tacos->Gainz
Reaction score
Listening to a motivational video compilation, I heard the quote, "Successful people do what they have to do whether they feel like it or not" and it got me thinking about my approach to my hobbies. I have a coach for fitness/nutrition and a golf coach as well. I like having to hold me accountable, and plus I feel like the coaching helps me get better. But outside of that, specifically for golf, I don't really have anyone I play with that I can look up to in a sense as an example of how I would like to play the game. Giving it some more thought, I believe playing with someone regularly that is better than me in all aspects of the game would definitely be useful.

What do you all think? Is having a golf mentor a good thing?

Mentoring is absolutely a significant part of the game. I guess every single Tour player would answer that he/she benefited from at least one "golf mentor".

It really depends on what you choose to focus on. It could help but it also could lead to frustration.

I think it depends on how a person approaches the game. Is that person wanting to play casually, play in some small tournament settings, or go full bore and want to try to make a mini tour or something along that line.

I don't think someone who is better than you is inherently the same thing as a mentor, but it could be. Imagine someone who is better but not good at helping you with your weaknesses or not good at articulating what he is good at or why he plays better than you. Mentoring is about pushing the mentee and bringing out more potential in the mentee, and that requires good communication.

If you can find someone who plays the way you want to play and can communicate well with you and you have fun teeing it up with, then heck yeah that would be a good thing. IMO, that would be hard to find.

As long as it's not one of those guys that gives free unsolicited swing advice at the driving range.

It absolutely helped me on the course. I played against a kid who is now playing D1 at Butler. If it was a shotgun start and were walking up the hole towards our tee, he could drop his bag off in the trees and grab his club and one ball and drop it right in the middle of the fairway at his bag.

Seeing him maneuver the course and seeing his shot selection really made me a better player. That's where I learned that I have to play strategic. I could pound a driver down the middle and leave me with a wedge that I still struggle with to this day or hit a decent 4 iron off the tee and a decent 7 iron on for a 2 putt par.

The other thing that I took from him was having a shot routine. Sometimes I'd go up, check to lie, pick my line and hit. He had a checklist that he went through to clear his head.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

As long as it's not one of those guys that gives free unsolicited swing advice at the driving range.

Definitely not talking about someone like this, haha!

I don't think someone who is better than you is inherently the same thing as a mentor, but it could be. Imagine someone who is better but not good at helping you with your weaknesses or not good at articulating what he is good at or why he plays better than you. Mentoring is about pushing the mentee and bringing out more potential in the mentee, and that requires good communication.

If you can find someone who plays the way you want to play and can communicate well with you and you have fun teeing it up with, then heck yeah that would be a good thing. IMO, that would be hard to find.

Very true, and I think it could be very helpful even if your overall goal is somewhat general. When it comes to golf, if a potential mentor has experience in a variety of formats, that's even better IMO.

I play with a buddy who is a 2.2 handicap who has played in a few US AM Opens and it is awesome to watch. This man actually works as a carpenter 4 days a week and lives on Nantucket so the schedule is hard to work with while making arrangements to play in all the tournaments. He is always stressing practice and leaving the last hole at the last hole. He is so mentally prepared it isn't even funny. I've been chasing him for a few years and he just seems to get better and better. I also play with my 17 yr old cousin who was ranked 2nd in the state of Mass and is going to a big division 1 school for golf. Even though I dont tell him, he is another one I always want to golf with. Playing with a better player will make you pay attention a bit more. Great topic though.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I dont have mentors from but i do have two close friends that i turn to when it comes to golf. Their expertise in the area is more than i could ever learn on my own

I play with a buddy who is a 2.2 handicap who has played in a few US AM Opens and it is awesome to watch. This man actually works as a carpenter 4 days a week and lives on Nantucket so the schedule is hard to work with while making arrangements to play in all the tournaments. He is always stressing practice and leaving the last hole at the last hole. He is so mentally prepared it isn't even funny. I've been chasing him for a few years and he just seems to get better and better. I also play with my 17 yr old cousin who was ranked 2nd in the state of Mass and is going to a big division 1 school for golf. Even though I dont tell him, he is another one I always want to golf with. Playing with a better player will make you pay attention a bit more. Great topic though.

So your example made me think it doesn't necessarily have to be a 'formal' agreement or anything like that. I say that because in my job, we all have mentors that we pick, which are almost always more senior people in the same job field. I've had mixed results with some of my mentors, and many times at work and on the golf course, I tend to pick up little things here and there that have an impact on me. I guess the tools in toolbox is the appropriate analogy, but as I sit here thinking about it there's only one guy I play with somewhat regularly out here that I would even consider someone who I look up to when it comes to golf.

I dont have mentors from but i do have two close friends that i turn to when it comes to golf. Their expertise in the area is more than i could ever learn on my own

Expertise in terms of playing the game?

Listening to a motivational video compilation, I heard the quote, "Successful people do what they have to do whether they feel like it or not" and it got me thinking about my approach to my hobbies. I have a coach for fitness/nutrition and a golf coach as well. I like having to hold me accountable, and plus I feel like the coaching helps me get better. But outside of that, specifically for golf, I don't really have anyone I play with that I can look up to in a sense as an example of how I would like to play the game. Giving it some more thought, I believe playing with someone regularly that is better than me in all aspects of the game would definitely be useful.

Reading your post, seeing your interest and your love for golf, mentors are gonna want to work with you. Who knows, they may need a fitness mentor. Good luck.

Expertise in terms of playing the game?

Neither are swing coaches but both have an understand of clubs and equipment and the only people I trust to work on my clubs. They provide me with honest answers to the stupid questions I ask when the tinker bug comes around every now and then. Both have resumes in golf that make them both qualified to guide me on achieving my golf goals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was lucky enough growing up that my grandfather was a great golfer and teacher when we would play together. Didn't really think much of it at the time, but looking back I would consider him a mentor. Even just watching the way that he carried himself on the course, I'm glad I have the memories that I do. He was a very good player back in the day up in the PNW and I've even seen an article or two talking bout how he was one of the best putters in the area. I wish I would have picked his brain on the game more than I did.

There is a gentleman I play with 2-3 days a week that was a Class A many years ago &!worked side by side with a couple of big name instructors when they were paying their dues as young men.
Dan will pint something out in my swing or set up and then work through it with me. We’ll stand on the range & work on stuff when he sees the last thing project come out & give me the next tweak. He’s a great friend, playing partner & golf guide. I’m glad to be under his wing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it would be more about finding someone you can communicate with easily that can give you tips to help you in certain areas. They may not be better than you, just think from a different perspective. Especially when it comes to the mental aspect and course management.

100% Approve of the golf mentor idea.

Years ago when I started playing a lot, a guy in the group took me under his wing. He helped me think through a lot of things on the course and off. Always there with advice, or to tell me to get my sh!t together. He really helped accelerate my improvement in the game.

He moved to the coast a couple years ago. I have been searching for that new person to take over the role ever since.

Back