2019 Weight Loss and Nutrition Thread

I'm down 14 pounds since December 7. Thanks to some higher blood pressure numbers and blood glucose at the high end of normal, I've had more urgency to drop pounds. Before January, I tried to cut down on calories in general and sugar in particular. Since then, I've shifted from nuts to seeds, cut out the beet juice I was drinking for blood pressure, and added dairy back into my diet in the form of Greek yogurt, low salt cheese, and milk. What I had been doing before was probably the perfect storm that contributed to the large kidney stone currently inside me. I'm trying to limit daily sugar to about a tbsp of maple syrup and what's in fruits. I've found a cup of Greek yogurt with a little maple syrup and a few dashes of cinnamon to be very satisfying. Once the stone is gone and the weather changes, I plan to get some more exercise and continue the weight loss. I allow myself one cheat per week, and this may be the first time in my life I can say I'm not craving sugar. Oh, and I no longer have the 2-3 beers or drinks per week I was doing as well.

Nothing like some concerning numbers to get your attention.

I guess I should post in the proper thread! After reaching an almost record high weight and not being able to button my 36 inch jeans I decided to try the Nutrisystem diet. I need a structured plan to help keep me from overeating. At 5 foot 7 inches tall being almost 200 lb I am considered obese by the height weight chart.

My first week I was limited to a thousand calories a day and I lost 6 lb. In the second week the calorie count goes to 1500, I have stuck to this pretty well except for Saturday night when I ate several chicken tenders and had a couple of Bourbons. I was shocked this morning to see that somehow I had gained 2 lb back. That is quite a bummer for me.

I'm going to stick to this for a couple of months, one of the biggest changes for me is drinking so much water, 60 to 90 Oz a day! It seems like I'm always in the bathroom!

The good news is I feel better, have more energy, my head seems a lot less stuffed up, and I never have heartburn.

One big challenge for me will be I will be traveling a lot for the next two weeks, it will be difficult to stick to a diet plan.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Going to the grocery store was always load up on pizzas, frozen dinners(good ones not Stouffers mush), chips, cookies, pudding, etc.

I had to change it up seeing a difference in my body. The first thing was cooking multiple times a week instead of just once, along with the usual UberEats. I'm a big snacker. Always have snacks that I bring to work/school and obviously at home. I spent more time in the Produce and the Meat department than I ever have.

Fruits, corn on the cob, potatoes, chicken breast, steaks, etc. Adding snacks like chex mix, greek yogurt, veggie chips, etc.

So it's like I can still snack but eating better. Cooking is kind of fun as well. I'm no chef but having plenty made and leftovers for the following day or two is great. Now I still cook my pasta and tacos from time to time but it isn't terrible eating a little better.

I guess I should post in the proper thread! After reaching an almost record high weight and not being able to button my 36 inch jeans I decided to try the Nutrisystem diet. I need a structured plan to help keep me from overeating. At 5 foot 7 inches tall being almost 200 lb I am considered obese by the height weight chart.

My first week I was limited to a thousand calories a day and I lost 6 lb. In the second week the calorie count goes to 1500, I have stuck to this pretty well except for Saturday night when I ate several chicken tenders and had a couple of Bourbons. I was shocked this morning to see that somehow I had gained 2 lb back. That is quite a bummer for me.

I'm going to stick to this for a couple of months, one of the biggest changes for me is drinking so much water, 60 to 90 Oz a day! It seems like I'm always in the bathroom!

The good news is I feel better, have more energy, my head seems a lot less stuffed up, and I never have heartburn.

One big challenge for me will be I will be traveling a lot for the next two weeks, it will be difficult to stick to a diet plan.

A number of diet gurus talk about having a "cheat day" built into your expectations. I'll bet that two lbs came from water from the salty tenders.

Last edited:
I'm down 14 pounds since December 7. Thanks to some higher blood pressure numbers and blood glucose at the high end of normal, I've had more urgency to drop pounds. Before January, I tried to cut down on calories in general and sugar in particular. Since then, I've shifted from nuts to seeds, cut out the beet juice I was drinking for blood pressure, and added dairy back into my diet in the form of Greek yogurt, low salt cheese, and milk. What I had been doing before was probably the perfect storm that contributed to the large kidney stone currently inside me. I'm trying to limit daily sugar to about a tbsp of maple syrup and what's in fruits. I've found a cup of Greek yogurt with a little maple syrup and a few dashes of cinnamon to be very satisfying. Once the stone is gone and the weather changes, I plan to get some more exercise and continue the weight loss. I allow myself one cheat per week, and this may be the first time in my life I can say I'm not craving sugar. Oh, and I no longer have the 2-3 beers or drinks per week I was doing as well.

Nothing like some concerning numbers to get your attention.

Keep up the good work! Sugar is Enemy Numero Uno for me too.

A number of diet gurus talk about having a "cheat day" built into your expectations. I'll bet that two lbs came from water from the salty tenders.

I second this. Most likely water weight. When I eat clean for a few days and then have a cheat meal, my stomach protrudes for a day like I'm pregnant, but it goes away quickly thereafter.

Lol, I know the feeling. Gotta remind yourself not too pay much attention to the minor weight fluctuations. I can vary by a few pounds myself. Was right at 200 the other day. Next day, was at 203, the day after that I was back to 200. As others have said. Probably just water weight. Consuming a lot of sodium one day, can make that happen pretty easily.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Lol, I know the feeling. Gotta remind yourself not too pay much attention to the minor weight fluctuations. I can vary by a few pounds myself. Was right at 200 the other day. Next day, was at 203, the day after that I was back to 200. As others have said. Probably just water weight. Consuming a lot of sodium one day, can make that happen pretty easily.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I’m the same way. I think I had a 5 lb swing over 3 days. Trending down overall so I’m happy but going a bit slower than I’d like.

If fluctuations bother you, try taking the average of your last five weights, also known as a "rolling 5."

I did really well in 2018, lost about 25 pounds. I did not do good this January, didn't get out much and didn't eat well put on a few pounds. Time to cut out sugar again.

Down another 5. Slow and steady. Couple stumbles here and there, but just get back on the horse.

Just sent out the latest updated for or biggest loser challenge.

Another 17lbs lost for the group this week, total since 1/1 is 219.4.

I personally lost 4lbs last week bringing my total to 28.8.

Have to head out of town for a funeral this weekend so my normal workout routine will be put on hold. Could be an interesting week for me as most of my weigh usually comes off at the end of the week.

Proud of the guys that continue to work on the weight loss weekly, 12 of the 16 have already lost 10+ lbs since 1/1.

Just sent out the latest updated for or biggest loser challenge.

Another 17lbs lost for the group this week, total since 1/1 is 219.4.

I personally lost 4lbs last week bringing my total to 28.8.

Have to head out of town for a funeral this weekend so my normal workout routine will be put on hold. Could be an interesting week for me as most of my weigh usually comes off at the end of the week.

Proud of the guys that continue to work on the weight loss weekly, 12 of the 16 have already lost 10+ lbs since 1/1.

So you're telling me there's a chance to catch up??

So you're telling me there's a chance to catch up??

The flu kicked my butt for the last 7 days. I hardly got out of bed. I relinquished the top spot this week but i'll be back!

The flu kicked my butt for the last 7 days. I hardly got out of bed. I relinquished the top spot this week but i'll be back!

Time to kick it in gear for me, haven’t really worked out too much still. Everything I’ve lost so far has been from the diet change mainly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually read a book called “The Obesity Code” not too long ago and enjoyed it.

It talks about intermittent fasting and honestly, it fits my lifestyle way way way better than when I first scoffed at my wife about it.

I’m doing 16/8 which is for 16 hours I fast and then 8 hours I can eat, with focus on my macros but still some leeway in there.

My schedule is 12:00pm to 8:00pm I can break fast. It works for me because I’m asleep most of that time and I’ve never been a big breakfast guy anyway. It’s also forced me to drink a ton more water and my portion control when I do eat is right on. It’s also almost eliminated all my needles snacking.

Doing a weight loss comp with some of the guys here and I started at 218.8 the beginning of the year, biggest I’d been in 6 years or more. Currently down in the 206’s and feel like I’ve sacrificed little to make it happen. Really has just helped me with the ole calories in vs calories out.

Very nice - I have been doing the 16/8 as well, with a couple of bad weeks (LOL). The great thing about this is it’s much more “meaningful” than just weight loss. The impact on insulin levels and the autophagy concepts are really interesting, and how they can positively impact multiple systems within your body.

I can say that since starting the intermittent fasting, I have had better sleep, no indigestion, no acid reflux, and I’ll just say “easier” time with any sort of bodily functions, etc. And I don’t feel “starved” in the least. After a few days, my body (and mind) grew accustomed to my morning consisting of a couple cups of coffee and water.

As you said, I’m already asleep or not eating during a bulk of that 16 hours anyway, so it’s just an extension on that.

I am going to have to find another form or working out and not crossfit. Torqued my back a bit last night and it just isn't worth it to me with barbell work. At my age it doesn't matter if i can hang clean for clean and jerk. I need solid core work. I will do the hot yoga once or twice a week with the cycling. What other workouts you guys got going on? I am working on the nutrition side but i like to be active also.

I am going to have to find another form or working out and not crossfit. Torqued my back a bit last night and it just isn't worth it to me with barbell work. At my age it doesn't matter if i can hang clean for clean and jerk. I need solid core work. I will do the hot yoga once or twice a week with the cycling. What other workouts you guys got going on? I am working on the nutrition side but i like to be active also.

If you can find a certified instructor, I swear by kettlebell work. It's done absolute wonders for this hip/back injury I've had. Did kind of a reset and focused on swings and some strength work, combined that with cardio and I feel better than I have in forever.

If you can find a certified instructor, I swear by kettlebell work. It's done absolute wonders for this hip/back injury I've had. Did kind of a reset and focused on swings and some strength work, combined that with cardio and I feel better than I have in forever.

Thanks for that input. I have a little kettlebell experience but not a ton. I do know i need to focus on more stretching also.

Had a bad day today. I'm down 5 lbs since the 3rd but work brought in Chick Fila this morning and having a filling done on my tooth I didn't feel like cooking so I ate pizza. But back to business tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Been trying to weigh myself once a week to track my progress, but I think it's time to buy a new scale: Last week = 288, which is 50-60 too high; this week = 107, which his about 120-130 too low... hahaha

Been trying to weigh myself once a week to track my progress, but I think it's time to buy a new scale: Last week = 288, which is 50-60 too high; this week = 107, which his about 120-130 too low... hahaha
Definitely sounds like new scale time

Very nice - I have been doing the 16/8 as well, with a couple of bad weeks (LOL). The great thing about this is it’s much more “meaningful” than just weight loss. The impact on insulin levels and the autophagy concepts are really interesting, and how they can positively impact multiple systems within your body.

I can say that since starting the intermittent fasting, I have had better sleep, no indigestion, no acid reflux, and I’ll just say “easier” time with any sort of bodily functions, etc. And I don’t feel “starved” in the least. After a few days, my body (and mind) grew accustomed to my morning consisting of a couple cups of coffee and water.

As you said, I’m already asleep or not eating during a bulk of that 16 hours anyway, so it’s just an extension on that.

It’s so common sense it’s amazing. Like you my reflux is gone as well, and it’s just so damn easy. I’ve gotten to where I just hydrate until noon and then I’m not fighting the rest of the day to make myself drink more water.

Down 13.6 as of today. Pretty effing cool.

My wife does 16/8 but it is hard for me to do since I hit the gym at 430am and don't like to workout fasted. I usually have a protein shake as a pre-workout drink with cold brew coffee about 4am.

It does sound like new scale time - although 107 kgs is about 235 lbs - about where you think you should be. Unlikely you fiddled with the unit of measure though.

Last edited:
Back